Should we calibrate our 2 ch Systems?

Options
2»

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I think 55% of the sound you hear is dictated by the room. Probably the majority of the cost of a system should be put towards the room.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    So if he has an existing system, the room should be limited to 1.82 times the cost of the components?

With the deals BDT gets, the add-on will be more like a closet... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Lets design Troy's room for him. I'm thinking we start a thread about the perfect audio room.
    madmax

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Go for it! I'm interested in getting my home audio back to par. I no longer reside in my car for most of the day (though I did make more money delivering pizzas). I live in an apt and my acoustic problems are worse than my car...
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Say you have a nice flat room response excepting a nasty bit of bass reinforcement (on the order of a 5 dB boost) at 55 Hz at your primary listening position and you have a notch filter that can trim this frequency by 5 dB. Are you saying that this would not be a permanent fix?

maybe 15-20 years ago i played with a real time graphic spectrum analyzer and equalizer for several years.

reinforcement is gain from reflections or echoes. by correcting the spike on the front end you lower the direct output from your speaks at that frequency range and keep the gain from the reflections so that the combined spl is flat relative to the rest of the spectrum.

reflections arrive at the listening position a little later than the direct speaker output. pink noise is a sustained tone so it does not correct for this time delay.

with music that does not have sustained tones at that frequency range you end up with direct output at the front end corrected frequency range with a lower spl relative to the rest of the spectrum *and* distorted from the echo. with music that has sustained tones only at that frequency range it is loud and distorted relative to the rest of the spectrum.

this is a common cause of the ht center channel low volume, muffled voice problem.

)
  • scottnbnj
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    Fixing the sound this way (with a band-aid... no pun intended) also causes the old "gee, it sounded great last time I listened but tonite it sounds like crap" syndrome.

hehe,.. whenever i hear this one i always have this sneaking feeling that there's a pile of dirty laundry on the floor centered directly between the speaks and listening position.

)
  • madmax
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by scottnbnj
    hehe,.. whenever i hear this one i always have this sneaking feeling that there's a pile of dirty laundry on the floor centered directly between the speaks and listening position.

)

Have you been looking at my system?? :D

• scottnbnj
    edited October 2004
    Options
    well,uh i might have used that adjustment on an unruly recording or two myself.

)