Post Polkfest Observations

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited October 2004 in Gatherings & Special Events
First and foremost, The lovely Wendi and I want to thank everyone that came. Sincerely, we enjoyed each and every person that came and can honestly say that there isn't anyone that attended that is not MORE than welcome here at any time. You guys are the ones that made this such a hit. The lovely Wendi put it best when she remarked that this was like a family gathering more than a gathering of random friends and I agree.

BIG thanks to Paul and Al and Polk for all the support that they provided. It was just fantastic to have them here. It just goes to show you how committed they are to us bunch of lunatics. I said this Saturday and think that it is telling, if only one person showed up, you could say that it was just a token rep from the company. If TWO people showed, at least one is there willingly. Humorous but very true. Anyhow, a big thanks to Al and Paul. There is NOTHING cooler than seeing Al and Paul in your house kicking back digging the Polk (and Carver) sound.

TONS of great stories to tell. TONS of quotes, tons of pics which we will all get to telling soon, however, I think that we all need some rest! So, please, BE PATIENT!! In SOME cases though, it's like Vegas: What goes on at Polkfest, STAYS at Polkfest. :D

Again, my thanks to all those that came out and those who supported Polkfest. I think we've REALLY set a benchmark for future Polkfests.

BDT

Oh, and btw, as far as the Polk goodies and banners go. Guys, I know everyone wants some (I would too!) but alas, there are none left here. I gave both the banners away to attendees and all the other stuff was given away to attendees. I'd love to be able to send everyone some stuff but it's just not here.
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• TroyD
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Well, I've had about all of this I can stand.

I'm OUTTA here.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Sounds like you guys had a great time. As I've said before, I hope I can make the next one....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • TroyD
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Far as the gear goes.....

SO much good gear. First, I didn't hear anything that I didn't like. With Polk speakers, that's almost a given.

On the speaker side, I was really taken with the CRS's and the 'Signature' Monitor 7A's. Paul put it very well that they might sell even MORE speakers if they didn't make the older ones so well. :D Jesse's NHT's were delightful as well.

On the gear side, Dave's Jolida CD player is a MUST have item. Just get one. Period. In fact, eff Dave. I'm keeping it. (just kidding!)

More to follow.......

BDT
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Troy and Wendi, thank you very much, I had an awesome time. The next gathering will have a VERY hard time matching the fun I had in S.C.

Freebies? are you sure about this? When I arrived hotwheelman met me in the garage with a Polk hat and said for 10.00 it's yours ;)

Still in recovery mode here, I will gather my thoughts and post more later.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Troy,

First, as hosts you and Wendi went above and beyond ,can't say enough about that.
    Also, met a bunch of great people and got to sample loads of new music and gear. Great time!
    I have to say though the "Mancave" drew me in like nobody's business. The combo of the Carver Amazings and whatever input device (TT,CDP) was simply awesome. (That stands as a major high point for me.)

Thanks again,
    Dave
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I posted a lot of my thoughs in the other Polkfest thread...

I just want to again thank Wendi and Troy for all of their hospitality and providing the venue for a truely memorable weekend!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • DAGLJAM6
    edited October 2004
    Options
    And btw, troy UnderstanD that I could cOnceivably cause a Great deal of trouble at the hOmestead if i mentioN that a certain cdp is on a site frequented by many on this forum at the same low price that was mentioned in our conversations. :D
    far be it from me to start anything........

Dave
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hey Abernathy, what the hell?

I paid $13.50 for mine.

All attendees (photographers):

I'll be getting with Justin on Tuesday / Wednesday to get the 'Charleston Polkfest 2004' user ID / Password setup.

Get to re-sizing, and pm me for the password. I'll get the intial showcase setup, then everyone can add pics / captions as they please.

I'm about ready to do a couple shots, anyone with me?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Um, yea, put me down for a couple.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2004
    Options
    *****sorry*****
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Demi - It is a PW to be able to POST the pictures. That way Russ doesn't have to do them all.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited October 2004
    Options
    They are posting all the pictures in the system showcase Demi...

Hello???
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Sorry, misread it. Thanks.

*runs away with tail between legs*
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2004
    Options
    A warm thank you to Troy and his wife Wendi, for hosting such a great party.

I felt by saturday I was like part of Troy's family, such a great feeling that gave me.

Thanks again
    :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I gave some of my thoughts in the other thread but let me expand a bit.

Anyone who was there knows what an excellent experience this was, I learned new things and heard some amazing music on quality speakers and gear. Hearing Polk Paul and Al talk about audio gear and the audio business was outstanding. When looking through the pics I took I noticed most of the shots were of the polk gang. Makes sense because the gear was awesome but for me it was the people that really made this event. Again, without Troy and Wendi it just would not of been possible, they both went far beyond what anyone could of expected, I felt so welcome in their home. They have a great family who also accepted all of us with open arms.

Their was alot of comradarie built, each of us showed our individualism and shared our common passion for this crazy hobby. Internet buddies became personal friends. I remember Polk Paul saying that Polk considers us " their unpaid sales staff" he expressed alot of appreciation for the forum folks and what we do.

Thanks to everyone who was there, we really are a great Club of folks.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Well now I know what brett was talking about in the other thread...

Russ,
    Password requestin' e-mail is flying your way... Cool thing about doing the pic's is the memories they stir mixed in with the occassional, "I don't remember taking this shot."

Now pass the sambuca... On second thought, nevermind (as he rises to go pour a glass of 18 yo Glenmorangie)... (and he's back..). Now the question is, "do I have a worthy seegar in the house?"

Since I gushed all over BDT and "the Lovely" in the other thread, it's time to post the truth here...
    Had an awful time.... I mean how much food, friends and fun can a guy stand in one weekend?
    I gained 6 pounds, most of which was tar, I believe, as I went through a whole carton of cigs in the four day weekend. OK, some of it may have been from the three brats, Big Flo's killer southern style potato salad... four or five pulled pork sandwiches... half a pizza... and a quantity of beer somewhere north of two...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    The scene: the deck out back
    The time: ~04:30 Sunday morning
    The cast: Tour as himself
    ................doro as himself
    ................RuSsMan as himself (non-speaking role)
    ... and the curtain rises...

Tour: Blah blah blah... blah blah blah.... Blah blah blah-blah.. Blah..

doro: Tour, I just thought of 100 things to say about what you just said...

Tour: OK, name three...

doro: (lo-o-o-o-ong pause with a blank stare at the deck, but then raising his head, his face fulll of prde, he utters...) Outstanding!
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I am Dorokusai, and I approve of that response.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    :D

Oh, and from now on this little Smiley is to be referred to as "SDA Glasses Man" ===> :cool:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    :D

Oh, and from now on this little Smiley is to be referred to as "SDA Glasses Man" ===> :cool:

I've got mine on. They're prescription bi-focals :cool: :cool:

The couch pic was great. Did you get Brett to wear his by the end of the fest?
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Stricky voluntary participation... Although in doro and Russ's cases it was probably a necessity... self-preservation and all that.

They were suffering from PBES*... we took up a collection. If you wish to contrubute my PayPal address is: tours_scams_r_us@earthlink.net

I'm not sure brett has seen the SDA light yet...

* = Permanently Bloodshot Eyes Syndrome
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    The scene: the deck out back... again
    The time: ~23:00 Friday night
    The cast: Tour as himself
    ................brett as himself
    ................RuSsMan as himself (speaking role this time)
    ... and the curtain rises...

brett: Blah blah... blah blah blah... (weird twist to story) blah blah blah...

Russ: ****, dude, you from Mars or something?

Tour: No, Venus...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• DAGLJAM6
    edited October 2004
    Options
    New expression learned:

"Monkey Butt" - still sticks in my head everytime I read a post by
    Dorokusai.

Dave
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I've got monkey butt right now man, sucks to be me.

Justin is swamped, he'll get the ID/pass created for the showcase as soon as he can.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Who needed dimensions on the Monitor(10/7/5) Stands?

EDIT: Screw it, I'll take some pictures, and post a thread.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    OUTstanding...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Lovely Wendi
    Lovely Wendi Posts: 34
    edited October 2004
    Options
    okay, guys!!!!
    I am a little late on commenting on the Charleston Polkfest. Troy and I can't thank you all enough for making it what it was. (thanks to our liquid sponsors: Capt Morgan, various other rum makers, Sambuca, High class Scotch, and the wine makers as well--did I leave anything out, Russman and Doro? still have cough syrup left!) It made for an interesting 3 day binge, I mean fest. I will tell you I was a bit apprehensive when Troy first brought up the idea but I would most definitely be up for it again! It was amazing to see such a diverse group of guys get along so well and act like it was a family reunion. I figured the tribal council would have met Friday night and start voting dudes off of Ansley Trail but that was not the case! Had the torches and the immunity necklace ready. I am glad we had a fire starter in the group! HA! The grass is ALMOST back to normal. I still hear Doro's laugh in the house! CRAZY! As far as the dog and cat, the post traumatic stress has leveled. Incredible housekeepers you all are--and manners -even after the liquid fermented! And to the real sponsors, Al and Paul--muchas gracias!!!!! Thanks for coming down to the Lowcountry. This whole Polkfest kept Troy going in the desert. And that means a lot to me (little mushy but hey I am a chick). Everyone gets so wrapped up in just working and life in general that it is nice to just stop the world and enjoy friends and make lasting memories! I only hope most of you still had some brain cells left that were in working order! Heard some great music on great equipment. And the stories, wow! To Russ A, Bruce, Russ G, Doro, Jesse (WWF-retain me now as your agent while I am still cheap), Shack, DisneyJoe, Big Ted, Dave, Brett, Antony, Sean (you too, agent-wink!wink!), HWM and family, Paul and Al---if anyone was left off I apologize, you rock! We did take some pictures on the regular camera--we are not high tech yet as far as digital so we will get them on here in the next few days or so.

Amazing Weekend! Great crowd! Thanks again to all!!!!!!!!! Ansley Trail Inn is always open.

Lovely Wendi

p.s. No-- Troy needs no more gear!!!!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2004
    Options
    p.s. No-- Troy needs no more gear!!!!

No he need more GEAR, his Wife say NO.....;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    LW,

Friggin' hee-lair-ee-os...

I bet Gunny is still wondering who eff'd up his latrine... Is the cat still keeping it's a$$ pointed to the walls?

Now I know where BDT gets all his material... "Wendy, come here and tell me if this is funny enough... PLease..."

Please don't be a stranger... post early and often...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Oh no Troy has assimilated LW into the Polk mantra.....run....run for your lives!