MW6502 Specs

Options
tube_ee
tube_ee Posts: 2
edited October 2004 in Troubleshooting
I need to replace the woofers in a pair of Monitor 4s. Obviously, the MW6502s are the "correct" drivers for this speaker, but the price seems a bit steep at $48 per driver.

For a speaker that retailed for just over $100 15 years ago, even if we assume that the M4 would be a $300 speaker today, that's still 1/3 of the total retail cost, just for the woofers.

Is the 6502 just that good?

I imagine the price of the woofer is higher because of limited production numbers, and I do respect Polk for making repair parts available, I'm just trying to get a sense of my options.

What are the T/S parameters of the MW6502, and what is the crossover point / slope for this driver in the Monitor 4? Are crossover schematics available? One of my speakers has a dead crossover (reads open on a DMM), and I may want to play with some upgraded parts anyway.

Thanks,

--Shannon
Post edited by tube_ee on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Welcome to the Club... Well put series of questions.. (most refreshing)...

Sure the schenatic is available, use the Service and Parts link above to contact Polk CS. Will be mailed pronto at no cost.

I doubt the same will be true of the MW info, but you can ask.

There are other replacement driver sources out there that may be cheaper and "close enough", but at $86.40 + tax shipped (Club members get a 10% discount and free shipping) to restore a nice pair of 4's to their full glory... no brainer to me...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD