Howard Stern To Sirius

Options
Drewsmith
Drewsmith Posts: 160
edited February 29 in Clubhouse Archives
announed on his show today starting in 2006.
Epson 8100
Directv HR24
WDTV
ONKYO 608
POLK RTI70 Mains
POLK CSI40 Center
POLK RTI28 Surround
HSU STF-2
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Ewww...Sirius ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Drewsmith
    edited October 2004
    Options
    somewhat stinks for me since my Accord has XM built in being a Stern fan was hoping it would be XM guess I'm SOL
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I feel your pain Drew... :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Heard that this morning also, but he is not going anywhere for like a year and a half I think.
    Graham
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2004
    Options
    People still listen to howard stern?

Couldn't he just replay his show from 5 years ago, insert some insult about George Bush, and no one would be able to tell the difference?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Drewsmith
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Since hes #1 in most of the 46 markets he is on I would say so. I have been listening for yr's.
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I think it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say in great detail about all the BS he's put up with from everyone over the years........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by bobman1235

Couldn't he just replay his show from 5 years ago, insert some insult about George Bush, and no one would be able to tell the difference?

apparently alot of people never get tired of dick and **** jokes. :o
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Stern pretty much sucks.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2004
    Options
    What sucks about Stern???

He's funny, he has naked women on the show all the time.It's a real talk show thats fun to listen to. Its a good drive into work...what more do you want?fa fa fuey...funny ****

I'm on with sat radio, its very cool and I'm glad he is going there.

nice move,

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    What sucks about Stern???

He's funny, he has naked women on the show all the time.It's a real talk show thats fun to listen to. Its a good drive into work...what more do you want?fa fa fuey...funny ****

I'm on with sat radio, its very cool and I'm glad he is going there.

nice move,

Dan

I think he's crass and woefully annoying. I prefer intelligent talk radio and humor that isn't so sophmoric. It's nice to learn something when you're listening to the radio all day, but hey..that's just me. To each his own.

But one thing I'll argue with you about....It's not a real talk show.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Well Stern must be doing something right because Sirius inked the deal for 500 million bones.....yes 500 million.

Personally I do not care for him most days. Sometimes I give him a listen but usually it's Tony Bruno for me.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2004
    Options
    OK, the thrill of Stern is not the nekkid chicks or the jokes or the "sophmoric humor". Listening to Stern is just like hanging out with the guys. Sometimes it takes no thought and is just pure, unadulterated fun. Sometimes it's disgusting but if anyone is going to try and kid themselves into thinking that they are above it all well...I feel sorry for you. Lighten up. We're all just human and it' ok to laugh at a **** joke every so often. It doesn't make you less of a person.

Also, whether you believe it or not, Stern has a talk show. He does interviews, he discusses current events and he even reports news. His interviews are some of the best to listen to because most of his guests, when on the Stern show, are not uptight **** and will talk to him about things other then what they are shilling that particular week.

You may not agree with his political views but that is the beauty of what he is doing. He can say what he wants and you cannot take that right away from him. The only thing you can do is the most powerful thing you can do and that's turn off the radio or change the station. Yet so many people cannot seem to do that. Hence he gets disgustingly lucrative deals from companies looking to exploit this ability of his to identify with his listener base and build the most extensive network of avidly loyal fans any radio program has seen in a long time. Especially in a time when Cable TV rules the "airwaves".

Lastly, I agree with brett. Listening to what he has to say about what he is going through is extremely interesting. He is going to go down in the history books for many reasons and one of those reason is in defense of free speech. Kudos to him for his fight and even more kudos to him for taking the most listened to show to a new medium. Sirius radio has made a deal that is going to rocket them into te mainstream. Whether anyone believes it or not, Stern is going to change satelite radio and he is going to bring a listener base that will almost double Sirius' current customer base. This is an interesting time to watch and it will be really neat to see how everything pans out.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Note to self - Buy stock in Sirius.

I like Howard Stern. Some of his stuff gets a little stupid, but like Jstas pointed out, he does do a great interview. Sure he's gonna ask if they are into anal, but he's also gonna ask questions nobody else will and he'll usually get a good reply. Some of his guests suck though. I don't really need to listen to him talk to the umpteenth **** star.

I've never laughed out loud to any other talk radio show.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • cornerstone
    cornerstone Posts: 33
    edited October 2004
    Options
    bob and tom smoke stern!
    rta 12c
    denon
    sony
    yamaha
    vintage pioneer
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2004
    Options
    With all the corporate BS I have to endure almost everyday, it's nice to hear the down and dirty sophmoric ramblings of Stern.

GO STERN!

Bet Baba Booey and the rest of his crew are cashing in something fierce too.

Now we don't have to hear the edited version. BRING IT!

John
    No excuses!
  • Drewsmith
    edited October 2004
    Options
    JSTAS very well put couldn't have said it better myself. All his antics and jokes aside, Howard is extremly intelligent, and covers issues well. His 9/11 coverage was excellent!!
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Yesterday I saw some tape on the news of an Officer arresting a grandmotherly type who was protesting at some type of political rally. He arrested her in the interest of "homeland security". She looked to be around 55-60 and seemed not to be standing exactly where the officer wanted her to stand.

THEY are watching guys. People like Stearn push the envelope everday, the difference between him and grandma above is the notiriety, money and legal clout he can muster. I cannot comment if he has a serious journalistic type side since most times I have seen or heard his show he is asking some pretty or sexy sounding thing if she shaves her pubic hair or when the last time she got some was. I have chuckled at his antics and can say I have found them amusing. Not sure though if I am willing to pay to hear him. Not even sure if it is a good thing he decided take a deal putting the show on a pay network (although pretty sure he is happy with all the dough).

I suppose its really all about power.

RT1--Out
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by bobman1235

No, I think there's a little mixture of FCC stuff in there.

XM got the raw end of the deal with radio personalities... Opie and Anthony? Sheesh, give me a break. I'm not a huge fan of Stern, but those guys are TERRIBLE. They're one of the reasons I stopped listening to radio many moons ago.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I thought there was a no politics policy at this board?
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    BK - I feel your pain....I can't STAND Opie & Anthony :mad:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss
    No, I think there's a little mixture of FCC stuff in there.

XM got the raw end of the deal with radio personalities... Opie and Anthony? Sheesh, give me a break. I'm not a huge fan of Stern, but those guys are TERRIBLE. They're one of the reasons I stopped listening to radio many moons ago.

Not only that, but you have to PAY EXTRA on top of the regular XM fee to listen to Opie and Anthony. That's insane. I actually thought they could be kind of funny at times, but I'm probably a lot younger and more in their target audience than a lot of others here (no offense).

As for STern, I don't knock people who like him. Personally I don't dislike him because he's "sophomoric" - I listen to another sophomoric local radio show in the morning that's just as bad, I just like their personalities better, I think they're a little more clever and original than Stern at this point. I stopped listening to Howard because after like a year of listening, I felt like every show was almost exactly the same, and then he just went on this political agenda that got really old really fast.

To all you fans, very few can argue Stern was a pioneer in radio, but HE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE DOING WHAT HE DOES ANYMORE, nor is he (in MY opinion) the best at it. Just like any TV or radio show, some people like him, some don't. Just because someone doesn't like him doesn't mean they're a stuck up person who can't just relax and have fun, it means they DON'T LIKE HIM.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Howard Stern To Sirius
    Just frees up airspace for something else worth listening to IMO....
    Just because someone doesn't like him doesn't mean they're a stuck up person who can't just relax and have fun, it means they DON'T LIKE HIM.
    Well...I am a stuck up person (justifiably so!), but I can relax and have fun....and you are right that I just DO NOT LIKE STERN. I guess it just goes to show that in America, ANYONE can strike it rich...regardless of whether or not they have talent or any other redeeming qualities.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Drewsmith
    edited October 2004
    Options
    obviously Stern has talent or he wouldn't have been around for so many yr's.

Something worth while listening to on FM are you kidding me I only turn on FM for Stern otherwise XM 24/7.

FM plain stinks the programming stinks the commercials stink, and now with Howard gone maybe FM radio will go too.

I guess his ongoing battle for free speech and all these dum FCC regulations isn't a redeeming quality either.

I don't mind opposite opinions but saying he is a no talent person with no quality's is asanine
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2004
    Options
    obviously Stern has talent or he wouldn't have been around for so many yr's.
    Don't confuse popularity with talent.
    I guess his ongoing battle for free speech and all these dum FCC regulations isn't a redeeming quality either.
    Give me a break...it's only about the money.
    I don't mind opposite opinions but saying he is a no talent person with no quality's is asanine
    I find it asinine that anyone would hold him to any kind of esteem. He has simply found that in America it can be extremely popular and profitable to be sophomoric, crude, vulgar, demeaning, etc...

If you like him fine...it is your opinion and it is your right.

Mine stands.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Drewsmith
    somewhat stinks for me since my Accord has XM built in being a Stern fan was hoping it would be XM guess I'm SOL

if you got XM, spend a buck fifty more a month and order the Opie and Anthony Show. once you get hooked on them, you'll never look back to Stern, i assure you.

when they were on broacast radio in the NY area, i have literally almost got into car accidents from my laughter while driving. funny as hell without the typical Stern pissed at the world soapbox crap!

if youve never heard of O&A, you need to give them a listen.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2004
    Options
    P.S. they were the guys that were fired for the "sex for sam" contest, where contestants had some sexual relation in St Pat's Cathedral. were getting paid under contract after they were booted on the air, as well as a no compete clause until October. now they're back, making me a very happy boy:D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites