RMDS-1 No Sound

Options
John Ennis
John Ennis Posts: 4
edited October 2004 in Troubleshooting
I have had my RMDS-1 System for several years and have been very satisfied with the system. Recently while playing a DVD I lost the entire sound. The Sub-woofer light went to red. After reading the manual, the next day I turned the power off and on on the back of the sub-woofer and it worked again. Again, while watching a DVD the same thing happened and I was able to reset the system by turning the sub-woofer power off/on.

I have not had any problems with the system in the past and have not changed any wiring or location of the system.

Hope you can help direct me on the next step. Thanks,
Post edited by John Ennis on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Welcome tro the Club, John...

Yeah, it'd be nice to get it back working before winter sets in... that's like next week up your way, isn't it?

Don't know the RMDS-1, but sounds like a relay (auto-trigger?) may be opening.

Shutdown de-energizes the relay's coil completely, and on restart the current surge snaps the relay closed, but coil is not strong enough to hold the relay there and in time, it opens...

Someone may be along who has actual knowledge of the system tonight, but if not, Ken S. (of Polk CS) most certainly will help.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    Options
    How's the heat of the amp when it shuts down?
    But as mentioned, call up customer service.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • John Ennis
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I think you both are on to something. The sound does not go off until the unit is on for a while and heats up. There were a couple of times when the sound went off for a second or two and then re-established itself before finally going off. I will work with customer service to see what the next step is.

We already had 8 inches of snow, but it has melted. Need to get the system working so I have something to do for the long winter.

Again, thanks for the input.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    Options
    You could always put the amp outside if its overheating :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    The RMDS1 amplifier section has the ability to detect excessive heat building up in the output devices. It then triggers a protection circuit which shuts off the amplifier. It is important to provide plenty of cooling air behind the sub-woofer where the heat sinks are, keeping it away from heat ducts, etc.
    Where are the volume levels for both the sub-woofer and the main volume on the on screen programming display, when the unit shuts off?
    Regards, Ken
  • John Ennis
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Ken,

Ran a few simple tests based on your note. It does not appear that the primary cause is due to poor circulation of air around the sub-woofer. I moved it out away from everything and the condition continued. The system and componenets have been in the same location for several years so something has changed in the system. I even touched the fins in the back of the sub-woofer and they were not that warm.

The sound sometimes goes off for a second or so and then returns before ultimately going off. This occurs when the base level rises. Ultimately the sound does go off and the red light appears on the sub-woofer. Again, this occurs when the base level rises (a loud bang in the movie being played trips the system).

As for the levels of sub-woofer and sound on the screen. The only one I am familar with shows a scale (no numbers) and woofer is a couple boxes below 0 (or mid-point) and the sound is mid-scale. Not sure this is what you really asked for?

It seems that something is going on the system. Not sure of who to take this to in Anchorage (if anyone) or which component is at fault.

Might even be more cost effective to replace component than try and get it fixed.

Any suggestions on way forward is appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for the additional information, here's a couple of things to try. The DB25 is the cable that goes from the processor to the sub-woofer. Try removing the cable from both the processor and the sub-woofer and flip it over, connecting the end that was previously in the sub-woofer and connect it to the processor. The end that was in the processor put into the sub-woofer. I am going under the assumption that you are using a single DB25 with this system, let me know if you have added extensions. Also, from the front panel of the processor bush the following three buttons at the same time, "save preset", "clear" and "preset up". The display will indicate "default" and shut the processor off, then turn the processor back on and hopefully things will be working properly.
    Ken
  • John Ennis
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Ken,

I went and switched the cable from the amp to sub-woofer and reset the amp per your directions. I played a movie with loud base and system played without a problem. Appears that this may have corrected the problem. I am not sure why, but so far so good.

Appreciate the help.

Thank You,

John
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad the experiment worked. In all likelihood there was an intermittent connection somewhere in the DB25, at either end. There is a 15 Volt trigger signal that is sent by the processor to the sub-woofer as a remote turn on/off function. Perhaps the trigger voltage was cutting off.
    Take care, Ken
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Is Ken "da man" or what???

Ken,
    Polk Paul was telling stories on you at Troy's... were your ears burning? :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hey Tour,
    I understand everyone had a great time at Polk-Fest! You guys are bringing back what high performance audio used to be all about. People getting together, talking about gear, listening to some great demos and having a few beers. Just plain having fun! Paul's does an amazing job, he knows so many of the people in the audio press that he can get the word out about a new product in a relatively short period of time. He'll go to their house, help them set the speakers up, he really goes all out to make sure the speakers sound their best. Most of these people have known him for so long and trust his reputation that they pay attention to what he says.
    It's one thing to make a great product but if nobody knows about it, it never takes off. He works wonders getting us good press. I really believe he is the major reason the LSi speakers are so well respected all around the world, for example.
    Have fun, Ken