my re8

2»

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    mac - i think you missed that i responded to this, just want to give you the opportunity to comment
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Ive gone back and read the technical stuff in the articles (something I rarely do).

It appears as tho the specs were from a computer simulation.

So theyre not hooking up an amp to the subs and turning the volume all tha way up, the computer is taking into account all the subs specs and box designs and coming up with the max SPL that the sub can potentially have. So no holds barred, the smaller box will be louder because itll allow the use of more power whereas the larger box is more effeceint so itll be louder with an equal amount of power.

Either way it doesnt seem to matter much since the difference is usually less than 3 DB.

So it appears that this may be a Club Polk first; we're all right! LOL ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    score! we all win! sweet, i dont think this has ever happened... and it probably never will again :D

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Actually its all perfectly clear to me now!!

Say Im getting an Orion P10 rated at 500 watts and spec'd for a .5 box.

Since Im only going to be running 350 to it Id want to go with something like a .55 or .6 to make it more effecient in order to get more out of it with the smaller power.

Now say I was going to be running the Orion with 600 watts. In that case Id want to go with say a .4 or so to allow for more power handling as Im going to be running 100 more watts than its supposed to handle.

Right?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    yup, and so you'd get more volume with the more power in the smaller box... and actually, you might get very nearly the low frequency extension with the overpowering (now you see why i hate power ratings)... this is all assuming you're not exceeding pmax, or the thermal power handling of the speaker... you go over that number, and you melt the coil... this is the brahma's 1600 watts rating, you'd need a really small box to be able to use all 1600...