Whoe uses monoblocks?

PolknPepsi
PolknPepsi Posts: 781
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Who uses monoblocks and how do you like them ?

pro's and con's ?

................................................Pat

sorry for the misspell on the title....(who)
Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
Post edited by PolknPepsi on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2004
    I use monoblocks.....

I can't see, other than cost, any downside to them inherent to the design of a true mono amp.

Some don't like using stereo amps bridged to mono as they claim that the amps sound harsh

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PolknPepsi
    edited September 2004
    Glad to hear that.........the only downside I could possibly see is that two electrical outlets are needed.
    I have read that using monoblocks seperates the music left/right very well......
    What gave me the idea to post this question is Russman put a picture of a tube monoblock here somewhere along with the possibility of me getting some sometime.

Interesting..........anyone else have a word or two.:)
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2004
    I'm also running bridged monoblocks. I even have to use a third outlet for the bridging adapter. I love it. Gobs of power and the Polks are eating it up and sounding the best they ever have.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2004
    I use Outlaw monoblocks on my 2-channel system. Hooked up a Parasound HCA-1200 (essentially the same as the 1500 -- highly regarded on this forum) and the monos smoked it. More detail, cleaner sound. So I relegated the Parasound to HT duty.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • PolknPepsi
    edited September 2004
    Those Polks eat power so I have found out. My other speakers would probably benefit to should I do some speaker swapping.
    There are some monos called CIA Audio w/ 40 watts......Outlaws have 200watts....and are affordable. Outlaws also put out little heat and are also very compact and black which is good too. (so I have read)

........................................Pat
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited September 2004
    I used to use 5 Outlaw mono's for my system. The sound was very good. I now only use Outlaw mono for my center and stepped up to a 2 channel Krell for stereo. The only downside to using many mono's is space in your rack and many plugs.
  • Early B.
    edited September 2004
    Venom -- how would you compare the sound of the Krell to the Outlaws?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited September 2004
    Hi Early,
    In a word-Control.

The Outlaws are very nice. Plenty of clean power at a great price. It works great for my center channel, smooth dialogue. But for 2 channel, I just wanted a little more. I use B&W cdm7nt. They are a 2.5 way design and love power. They are rated to handle 150 watts. My Krell is 250w x 2 (8ohm) Many have reviewed this speaker as having a weakness in bass. With many amps, I can see how that is determined, but not with the Krell.

The Krell seems to grab a hold of any speaker and control it. Any muddy bass that was there before disappears. I hate muddy bass. That is why I sold my Polk RT16's. Great speaker, hits low, but bass was muddy. The B&W's are tight.

I have started to realize that with equipment synergy, it is always good to match opposites. A very knowledgable salesman at a local small stereo-only shop near me always recommends paring opposites. Meaning, get an amp that zigs for a speaker that zags.

My B&W's tend to be laid back, while the Krell is very forward sounding. Together thay mate well. I listened to some expensive Martin Logans hooked up to a 200 watt Krell, result= very bright. Fatigue city.

Krell's tend to be expensive. In that price range there are a lot of competitors. Less expensive, better amps are available. But if you can get a used Krell, I think they are worth it if you have the speakers that like power.
    Venom
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2004
    Three Outlaw M200's across the front stage. No complaints.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Early B.
    edited September 2004
    I have started to realize that with equipment synergy, it is always good to match opposites. Meaning, get an amp that zigs for a speaker that zags.

Thanks for those comments. My friend has a Krell that he's paired with some Bolender Grabeners and after listening to his setup, I was wondering what all the hoopla is about with Krell. Those are bright speakers along with a badass amp.

I'll start a synergy thread to get more perspectives.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2004
    ooh, I do, I do!

Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 single ended monoblocks. 3.5 watts each.

007_18.JPG

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Paramour/paramour.htm

Not with my Polks, though...
  • PolknPepsi
    edited September 2004
    Mr. hardy,

That is a fine looking amp......!

Oh, did I mention that is a FIIIIIIIINE looking amp!

................................................................Pat.......:D
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2004
    It sounds better than it looks (esp. at $500 a pair). THat's from "Doc Bottlehead's" site, but mine look identical except I didn't paint the output tranformers and chokes black. Some builders have built truly beautiful versions of this basic amp.

Take a look at: http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/index_audio.html

f07.jpg
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2004
    WOW! :eek: those are DEAD SEXY!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2004
    Yup... Mr. Ward did a nice, nice job on his. Just bear in mind that you've got to have speakers efficient enough for 3.5 watts (RMS) per channel. It sort of lets out most of the Polk line, past and present.

Something like Klipsch Cornwalls, or Altec VOT's, or Lowthers is a better match for fleapower amps like these. mmmmmmmm, mmmmmmm good.

(don't get me wrong, I still love my Polk Monitor 7A's)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by mhardy6647
    Yup... Mr. Ward did a nice, nice job on his.
    Yuppers... I was privledged to give Ward's tube and VOT rig a listen (as well as three other ones he had in various rooms). Very nice indeed.

Even my wife was impressed.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2004
    Here are my modest pair o' Paramour monoblocks in their natural habitat. We now return you to the regularly scheduled thread topic...
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Linear tracker, eh? What model?

And is that an old Sherwood Tuna?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2004
    Monoblocks, monoblocks, monoblocks... :-)

The linear tt is a bang & olufsen TX-2 that I got for $7. It works great IMO and became my main tt immediately after I got a cartridge for it (still available from b&o at the time I got it, a couple of years ago). No distortion even on the inside grooves... really is impressive for the $120 I have invested in it.

The tuna is indeed a Sherwood S-3000 mono and is by far the best sounding tuna in the house (e.g., eats my Sansui TU-717 for a snack). I have an MPX adaptor (OK, a couple), but in my deep fringe surburban location I am just as happy to listen in mono.

You didn't ask me about my little homemade preamp to the left of the tuner... :-)

Oh, and that's a TASCAM 22-4 R to R lurking to the right...
  • PolknPepsi
    edited October 2004
    Those Paramours look pretty nice..................:D
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    I actually was thinking B&O due to the platter being near level with the plinth, but did not remember them offering a linear tracker...

mhardy...
    Never, ever, say I cannot take a hint...

Ahem...

Hey what about the little tuber to the left of the Sherwood? Is that a pre or what???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mhardy6647
    edited October 2004
    b&o are way famous for their tangential tracking tt's and made many models over the years. Nice 'museum' of b&o equipment at:
    http://www.beoworld.co.uk/

The preamp is a DIY hybrid line amp/headphone amp designed by Pete Millet and described in audioXpress magazine a few years ago (11/02). See also http://pmillett.addr.com/hybrid_head.htm
    I built it for a headphone amp but tried it in place of my EICO HF-85 preamp one day and it sounded so much better than the EICO that I swapped 'em immediately! ...The EICO is badly in need of some restoration... The cool thing about Pete's little amp is that it uses low-voltage "space charge" tubes designed for car radios in the late 1950's (and an IC output buffer) so it uses no high voltage and indeed runs off a 30V wall wart transformer! Sounds good, too :-)

As I built it, the preamp has no signal switching facilities, so I added a cheap RadioShack A/V switch box (not shown) in front of it. BTW, the MM cartridge preamp is the Bottlehead Seduction seen at lower right.
    hybrid_head.JPG
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2004
    ... I built this one for headphones only (no line-level inputs) in a black plastic Radio Shack project box for a charity auction. I like the blue LED :-)
  • PolknPepsi
    edited October 2004
    Must agree...at night those lights glowing do look good. And I have only seen photographs of them.
    So when are they going to start selling tube amps in the average stereo stores? Maybe everyone thinks they are old fashioned or something.......:confused:
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Doubt you will ever see anything but a picture tube (and even their days may be numbered) in a CC or BB.

Tubes are definitely a niche market, and skewed towards the "high-end", especially when it comes to models you can actually audition in a B&M outlet.

Primarily through internet offerings, affordable tube gear has expanded the tube market considerably. You just have to find sources you trust, as in our Club, to steer you in a decent direction.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mhardy6647
    edited October 2004
    Music Direct had some of the ASL amps on-line/mail order. These have a reasonably good reputation and don't cost too much.

www.amusicdirect.com

... it's more fun to build your own, though :-)
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    PnP,
    Who you callin' a "ho"???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• PolknPepsi
    edited October 2004
    Hey tour .....what are you talking about...:confused:

..........yea.....I must have been excited about typing or something:D ........I can do a lot of things and my hand eye coordination have always been excellent but this typing stuff......wow:rolleyes: .....that has never been what I excelled at.

..........................................:D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2004
    I use three Marantz MA500 monoblocks for my fronts and center. yeah, i just daisy chain the amps into one another.. or else I wouldn't have enough space to plug them all in. that works great.

My thinking was that each speaker would get it's own amp and it being high current. I had read that this way... it would not put much load on say like a two or three channel amp. Each speaker would have it's own power as needed.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

mhardy...
    Never, ever, say I cannot take a hint...

Ahem...

Hey what about the little tuber to the left of the Sherwood? Is that a pre or what???

Hilarious, I'll be laughing all night.

Nice setup there, hardy. I'm glad we have a thread on monoblocks and some discussion of tube equipment. I've been thinking about them (for in the FAR away future), but don't know much about them.

Keep it up!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520