Power Problems AMR90

Options
bschutz
bschutz Posts: 2
edited August 2006 in Troubleshooting
My AMR90 sound system is suffering what I believe to be a power related problem, but I'd like help verifying before I throw good money after bad.

The symptoms began with popping/cracking sounds, now the system is going on/off often. For a while I could fix this by pushing the power buton on the subwoofer on/off, now that usually fails. The green power light either goes dim (about 1/2 brightness) or goes off altogether during these times. Then it'll start work about 10secs or a minute later, then off, then on....

Headphones plugged into the sound card work perfectly at all times. I upgraded Soundblaster cards during this time, and the problems remained.

My guess is the power converter is failing, but I've not found a replacement power converter (12VDC, 2500ma) at a nearby Radio Shack, nor have I found one online. I have no proof that this is the problem, I'm just guessing.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on how to proceed, on a way to help me verify the problem, or even a source for a replacement power converter.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Post edited by bschutz on

Comments

• bschutz
    bschutz Posts: 2
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the good idea, Kiim. I'll try that test right away so I'm sure where the problem lies. And thanks for reminding me the adapter is AC - obviously a key piece of information.

Brian
  • tdj_tx
    tdj_tx Posts: 1
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Hi, I also had this problem with the AMR90. I could get sound by pushing the on/off button then it would work for a while. Now it has completely stopped working. I really liked the sound of this system and would like to find a solution.
    Can I get a new power supply or is the problem in the system. I'm glad I found this forum, I too looked all over the internet for a replacement power supply.

Tom

I decided to measure the power supply again, not noticing it was an AC step down, it measures 12VAC. It looks like the problem is in the subwoofer rectifier. Is there maybe a fuse or something that I could replace?

Tom
  • lilcah
    lilcah Posts: 2
    edited August 2006
    Options
    i have a amr 90 and it is doing the samething as the rest in this forum. check power supply output is fine. I would like to find electrical schematic for the board to see if i can fix the problem. the speakers were exellent.
  • lilcah
    lilcah Posts: 2
    edited August 2006
    Options
    kim my name is tony but i have the amr90 system and it keeps losing power the transfomer is fine. i was woundering if you would have the schematic for the board so i can trouble shoot. the speakers were ausome till this problem. please let me know if you can get that.
    thank you
    tony