Cartridge question

285exp
285exp Posts: 43
edited September 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Recently inheirited a turntable and collection of mostly classical LP's, 50's to 80's vintage. The turntable works fine, but the stylus of the Shure V15 type IV cartridge is broken. I understand that this model has been out of production for some years, and that Shure doesn't have any replacement styli. Any suggestions on where to find vintage styli? What would a new cartridge of similar quality run? Any suggestions on others to consider? Thanks
Post edited by 285exp on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2004
    What model turntable?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • 285exp
    edited August 2004
    Sony PS-X5, direct drive semi auto, early 80's vintage.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2004
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • 285exp
    edited August 2004
    Thanks for the site Frank. I found a "replacement", but it does not appear to be a genuine Shure stylus. Doesn't specify who the mfg is. Are these generally of comparable quality to the originals or is this likely to be just a crapshoot? Am I better off just buying a new cartridge? Thanks for your help.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2004
    You should email www.shure.com and ask them they recommend as a stock replacement. Out of production is fine, but they should have a suggestion or option for you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2004
    In case this question is still out there...

Shure was substituting the stylus for their V15-III (VN35HE or MR, I believe) for the type IV's. Only difference is that the type III stylus does not have the IV's dynamic stabilizing brush on it. However, I am not sure that the type III stylus is still available.

Here's the link to Shures replacement chart:
    http://www.shure.com/phono/xrefphono.html
    They recently moved there service organization into HQ, but I think this toll free will still get to the right place:
    1(800) 516-2525
    Ask about their stylus exchange program.

You do see VN45MR's on ebay just about weekly, but they can get a little pricey, i.e., $90 or more...

Good luck
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD