vintage tweeter problems

pushpurix
pushpurix Posts: 2
edited September 2004 in Troubleshooting
The sl2500 tweeters on my vintage Monitor 5's keep randomly going out - has anyone had this problem? When they are on, they sound normal and perfect, but will go out eventually and only come back on when it wants to. It's only happenning to my left one. Any advice?
Post edited by pushpurix on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2004
    You need a new polyswitch on the crossover board. You should replace the one on both the left and right speaker.

Call Polk Customer Service to order them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ISLANDREAMER
    ISLANDREAMER Posts: 15
    edited August 2004
    I have the same problems with my SDA-2's and Ken Swauger of Polk Audio Tech Support was fast to mail them out after requesting them free of charge. Thanks to F1 Nut for the advice. Unfortunately after intalling them, only one baffle works while the other Dimensional H.F. on the other does not put out any sound.
    I posted a few questions about paralleling the Dimensional H.F. to the Stereo H.F. which is right beside it if it would damage anything. If it does not then I will be willing to parallel them just to make both tweeters work even if it means giving up the dimensional sound effect.:eek:
  • pushpurix
    pushpurix Posts: 2
    edited September 2004
    I called the amazing customer service at Polk and they sent me 2 polyswitches with instructions(free!!). I didn't have a soldering iron to replace it so I just fiddled around(polishing, slight yanking, wd40ing) with the old polyswitch and screwed the board back in, thinking I'll just wait until I get the tools - but next morning, my tweeter miraculously revived itself with no problems!! It hasn't gone out since. I've heard of old speaker parts just needing human touch to re-establish solid connection, so I guess this was the case.

At any rate, my monitor 5's are perfect again, thanks to all your help and product durability.