RE:Fast and the Furious

Options
hiperfpolks
hiperfpolks Posts: 1
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
As a real diehard gearhead, I really liked the movie from the standpoint of being into hot rodding and drag racing. Although, I do believe that the performance of the cars and the use of nitrous oxide was clearly exaggerated. I drive a mid 10 second '92Camaro (never caught anything imported). And, I can tell you that it is all motor. I have had many encounters with the so called "Fast and the Furious" on the highways and streets. I have eaten all of them for lunch in a car that is stock appearing, street legal, full interior, and with stereo system. This car passes emissions and is completely driver friendly. I thought the movie sucked from the standpoint of realism and the fact that there was only one American auto manufacturer represented (hardly realistic). And, no way in the hell a Supra of any kind will run toe to toe with a roots blown hemi/wedge Mopar! It might sell tickets at the movies. But, at the track...it does not get past the first round!
Post edited by hiperfpolks on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    welcome to the forum hiperfpolks... :D

there's a F&F thread with many other's thoughts on the movie...
    F&F
  • Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I have never seen a more blatant rip-off of a movie plot in all of my life. Let's see,,,,,let's steal the basic theme of "Point Break", add some buzzing little car's, and a Hip-Hop soundtrack, and call it "The Fast And The Furious"!!! Man!! Are'nt there laws against copying stuff like this? Sorry,,,not even the hot sister, or the dts soundtrack could salvage this. I look for this to be in the bargain bin soon. Just my 2 shekels,,,,

Ron
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Come on now. This movie has been a top three seller since the day it hit the shelves. Movie are suppose to be blown out of there realm and always are. If movies were suited all for PBS then I would not own an HT. Sometimes you just have to shake you head and laugh. Like Dinosaurs being breed on a distant island. Ohh OhHHH Like a black guy that is half vampire with the skills of a ninja taking out blood suckers that are planning to take over the world. Gotta LOVE IT!:D
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Hey, I've seen em all -- DRIVEN, 60 Seconds, etc... -- FAST & FURIOUS is the best of those things. It has a POINT BREAKish story, it has an interesting character (Vin Diesel), and it is a delicious demo disc, filled with incredible sound. Plus, as I said in the last thread: it has JORDANA BREWSTER. End of story.

And BLADE was cool, too, except for the last half hour of it when it got totally idiotic and silly. In fact, BLADE is what BATMAN shoulda been. Very well done.

And listen, EVERY movie is basically a blatant rip off of every other movie, even MEMENTO. Originality and fun are what separate the leaders from the followers. FAST & FURIOUS is, if not original, at least a little more fun than the other car movies.

IMHO. And I'm right.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Jay M
    Jay M Posts: 54
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I have to agree with hyper. The surround sound was great and the cars were cool but everything was NOS. I don't think that you can just throw NOS on any car. And also things like the floor pan dropping out in the middle of a race. I didn't get that. Was the floor pan lose? Most floor pans are welded to the floor. Overall the acting wasn't that great but the movie was about the cars, not the actors so I guess it's a mute point.
    Jay
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Two words: JORDANA BREWSTER.

Now quit arguing and TURN IT UP!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I watched it again last night, and I must say, the acting is pretty bad. But WHO CARES! The cars are frekin' awesome, I love the yellow skyline -- that one's my fav.

And yes, the girl is attractive, but she looks like she has a mustache in some of the scenes...very odd.

"I never narked on nobody!" -- Vin Diesel

That was just the dumbest line in the movie. I think there was another one I hated too, but this one shadowed it.

My favorite scenes were when the Hondas race in to take over the truck in the beginning, and when the green eclipse was revving it's engine in the first scene and you could hear the BOV and turbo, very cool. I do think a little too much time was spent on the NOS.

Overall, cool movie.

~JB
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    No 'stache at all.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Options
    My favorite scene was when the blonde kids car exploded after it was shot up.

How I'd loved to see that happen to all those little rice-rockets on the road today.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Most disappointing part of F&F was the introduction of the lightning, only for it to be dented during that ignorant fight, and 2nd most disappointing part was the lightning not getting to run any cars or even a little street race with it...

Anyways I thought it was a kwal movie, cheesy? yes, worth watching yes...and i am a sucker for bad movies! (army of darkness...ROCK!!!)

Brandon
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    ARMY OF DARKNESS rocks anyway! All the EVIL DEAD stuff rocks! Bruce Campbell is my hero. Can you believe that Raimi is doing such "mainstream" stuff nowadays ("The Gift," "A Simple Plan" -- both excellent, BTW)?

Can't wait for SPIDERMAN!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    Options
    boomstick2.jpg
    see this, this is my boom stick
    groovy
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    Options
    i don't get it, whay does everyone love these movies? i can't get into them at all!
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Its all a matter of bad movies =) I LOVE cheesy movies. Another great movie is Ski School. A bunch of no name actors, and its funny as hell, be prepared to have some beer on hand as you dont wanna watch it without.

Micah you got the special edition of army of darkness? Just wondering if I should buy it also (got the regular copy)...

Brandon
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    It's not about bad movies, with Raimi's EVIL DEAD series. These are not really "bad movies." They are expertly made, innovatively constructed & written, and technically brilliant movies about silly things.

In fact, it's weird but EVIL DEAD was Raimi's college film school project, and it's very effective, which he then TOTALLY MOCKED in EVIL DEAD 2, which is like the RAISING ARIZONA of horror movies -- superbly made satire that's so great it flies right over you the first couple of times -- and EVIL DEAD 3 (ARMY OF DARKNESS) is completely over-the-top "camp." (Which is why I'm glad Raimi moved on to more serious themes in THE GIFT and A SIMPLE PLAN, which is masterful.)

And not only are they well-made films, but in Bruce Campbell, Raimi has the ultimate action foil -- he's everything Jim Carrey could be if Jim Carrey had any talent at all. Campbell is like every comic book hero come to life, filled with weird facial ticks and wide glaring eyes; you can almost hear the thought bubble as it appears above his head! Everything he does is HI-larious. He's over the top, and perfectly so.

Also, don't forget Raimi did an excellent comic book/superhero movie with DARKMAN, which, altho it was sort of tongue in cheek, was really technically brilliant -- SPIDERMAN will rock!

If you want to see some really funny, really comic, well made horror films, see the EVIL DEAD films.

I have no idea which AOD to buy. I lost track.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    Options
    J Carey, sucks, no talent,,,,, Check this site out www.hsv.com.au I drive the SV300 around 500hp and the good news is you folks in the states are getting them later this year:)
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Options
    looks an aweful lot like a grand prix...gonna have to read up on it ...

Brandon
    (enjoying my 450rwhp lightning)
  • Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited February 2002
    Options
    02/08/02

"The Fast And The Furious" is now in the $17.99 price bin at Circuit City!! For those who insist on seeing it, wait a couple of weeks, and get it during the "buy one, get one half price" promo!! Hate to say it,,,but I told you so!!! :D

Death To Buzzing Cars!!!

Ron

"Nik,Nik,Nik,Nik!!!,,,,,,,Indian's"
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    Options
    F&F was great man! Who cares if the cars seemed fake, or they didn't represent american big block autos. You want an american racing movie, go watch Days of Thunder. Super Street style racing does have some neat appeal to it, I think. I LOVE cheesy movies as well, most of them anyhow. The sound, IMO, is definately enough to substantiate this movie alone. What great DTS audio! And Bruce Campbell rocks! I would disagree that Jim Carey has no talent though. I'm sorry, but I would target alot of dumbass actors first like Freddie Prinze Jr. or Jason Biggs as no talents, Jim Carey has had some great films.

Movies: Cheesy or Deep and meaninnful, they're all good to me! Audio is the number one decision maker anyhow!

John
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by johnnyamerika

Movies: Cheesy or Deep and meaninnful, they're all good to me! Audio is the number one decision maker anyhow!

John
    yea i have watched some cheesy movies more than twice because of the fx and movie soundtrack..

judge dredd:rolleyes:
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I may have to retract my statement in the case of judge dredd! ;)
    heh heh!

john
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    What, exactly, has Jim Carrey done besides THE TRUMAN SHOW and the few funny bits of LIAR LIAR? WHAT, I ask.

Not much.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2002
    Options
    IMO the coolest thing that Jim Carrey has done is Lauren Holly. His movies suck.

If you take a crappy movie and put a great soundtrack on it, you still have a crappy movie......

just my .02

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Personally one of my favorite carrey movies is me myself and irene, very funny movie, and does pretty much show his talent, going from a normal human to a destructive maniac.

You may not like the movies he has done, but to say he is untalented is a myth. I dont think there are many others than can do teh transitions he does, or the improv. (except maybe robin williams, another VERY smart/talented actor.)

Anyways, just had to toss my 3 cents in (3 cus 2 just aint enough) =-)

Brandon
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    Options
    i wouldn't say he is the most talented actor, but i appreciate his antics to make me laugh my **** off. his facial quirks and body movement do make him one-of-a-kind. just my .02, thought i'd toss it in...
  • johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    we're collecting a big pile of change around here. pretty soon we can buy some community speakers or something...trade em around!
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Jim Carrey and Robin Williams are -- ADMIT IT -- just not all that funny. And they are maudlin and awful when given "real" acting roles ("Patch Adams" anyone?).

Okay, both guys are funny in little sound bytes -- single stand up gags, maybe a skit on the old "In Living Color."

You know who's funny AND can act?

Steve Martin.

Bill Murray.

Jim Carrey is merely watchable in THE TRUMAN SHOW, and NOT WATCHABLE in pretty much anything else.

ADMIT IT! You know it's true.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    woah woah woah woah woah.....hold on a minute.... Robin Williams can't act!!?!?!??

Maybe you've seen these films:

Good Morning Vietnam
    Awakenings
    The Fisher King
    Hook
    Dead Poets Society
    Good Will Hunting
    The Birdcage
    Deconstructing Harry

And that's not to mention his stand up, or other humorous roles that were great. Yes, he has a lot of bad films, but if you look up DeNiro, Pachino, Spacey, and more, every one of them has as many bad ones as good ones.

And while I do think Steve Martin and Bill Murray are comic geniouses, unparralleled in their field, neither of them have the raw acting ability that Robin Williams possesses. I'd say they are much 'funnier', but they never had a Dead Poets, or a Good Will, or an Awakenings.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Uh oh. Here we go.

DEAD POETS and AWAKENINGS and those schmaltzy feel-good roles that Williams play-acts in are not ACTING. They are schmaltz. Not real acting. They are ultra liberal tear jerking exercises in screenwriting tricks. At the end of the movie you're so worked up you don't even notice that nothing was going on.

He does not have the range of Bill Murray (see RUSHMORE, see QUICK CHANGE) or Steve Martin (see LA STORY, see DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS). Those guys are ACTORS. They ACT. Robin Williams just minces about.

G.M. VIETNAM was nearly unwatchable. HOOK, while visually interesting, is at best another Spielbergian lie that messes with our childhood memories. And I would only go so far as to say that THE FISHER KING is watchable because Williams is kept in check and made to dance to the actor's tune by director Terry Gilliam.

Name four bad DeNiro films, besides the ultra stinker ANALYZE THIS (which is NOT FUNNY, especially in light of his great show in MIDNIGHT RUN) and the aformentioned AWAKENINGS. (Pacino is a different story; he's made some STINKERS, and his five best films are way in the past.) Name four bad DeNiro films.

FALLING IN LOVE...
    BACKDRAFT...
    THE FAN...
    ROCKY & BULLWINKLE (WTF was he THINKING?!)...

Whatever, there are probably a couple more stinkers. But with DeNiro, all those crappy put ons are mitigated by that ONE SINGLE SHOT in GOODFELLAS, when the Cream song "White Room" starts and Scorcese brings the camera in slow and cold on Jimmy smoking at the bar -- "That's when I knew Jimmy was gonna wack Morry" -- THAT'S EVIL, man. CHILLING. No one -- not Pacino, not Williams, not anyone -- can do that. And that fact makes it okay for DeNiro to flog his talent in idiotic bill-payers like MARVIN'S ROOM.

**** on Williams and Carrey. Take away their fame.

Lauren Holly... Hmmmm. Yum.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Ha ha ha ha! I can see you're pretty passionate about this MC! Ok, I guess in some deep-seeded, emotional way, some Robin Williams film (probably Mrs. Doubtfire, right!) scared your inner child away and forced him to wear dresses or something!

Rather than go round, I'll just say I like Robin Williams, I think Carrey is ok. To say they suck is an ignorance of issues, but if you just don't like them, that's ok too!