DooM3

Terrax
Terrax Posts: 483
edited September 2004 in Video Games
How many of you plan to get DooM3? I know I am, but I was just wondering how many more are "addicted" (or should I say, enjoy) to these games. The music is supposed to be awesome, not to even mention the graphics. ;)
Post edited by Terrax on

Comments

• shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited August 2004
    I'll wait till I get a good deal on it on ebay, or on sale somewhere.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Terrax
    How many of you plan to get DooM3? I know I am, but I was just wondering how many more are "addicted" (or should I say, enjoy) to these games. The music is supposed to be awesome, not to even mention the graphics. ;)

I'll be getting it for sure. I just bought a new CPU and videocard so I can actually play these next-gen games. Can't wait...just a couple more days though!
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited August 2004
    Picked it up today. I played it at work today for a bit, pretty amamzing, even on low detail!

Just moved into a new place and my computer isn't set up yet though (this laptop couldn't play it... heh)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited August 2004
    What are they recommending as far as equipment specs?

Video, processor, RAM, etc...

John
    No excuses!
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited August 2004
    I am an id software addict. This week I have played Doom 2, Quake 2, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I will get Doom3 when the new video cards come out.

John,

Here are the requirements:

Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
    Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz XP processor or higher
    384MB RAM
    8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers; 1.7GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows swap file)
    100% DirectXR 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
    100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
    3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectXR 9.0b compatible
    64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.
    Graham
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    I plan on picking it up tomorrow before work. Heres what I'll be running it on:

Amd 2600+
    Asus A7N8x Deluxe Rev. 1.04 w/1007 Uber Bios
    ATI 9800XT 256 Meg Vid
    1.5 Gig Kingston HyperX Ram

Proc and MB are over a year old. So, I'm hoping it will run ok. I have my doubts though. I'll probly have to upgrade real soon.

I've played every Id game thats graced a comp screen, and can't wait to see what this one will be like. Based on the screen shots alone, it will be awesome. Id games get better each release.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2004
    It should be fine on that, Terrax.

I just bought an AMD Athlon XP 2800 - Barton Core - 333FSB CPU, and I know it runs good on that.

What did you pay for your video card? I need to get a Radeon 9800 PRO - 256MB, but I think they're still like $300 or so.
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    I've had my 9800XT for about two months now, and I gave $400 for it. I've thought about getting a 800XT but, gonna wait till PCI Express becomes more standard, then I'll get a new MB and Video card.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    This is a MUST buy for me. I spent countless hours playing Wolfenstein on a 33Mhz PC over 10 years ago.
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2004
    If you want the MicroCenter Doom3 coupon, leave your email address in this thread and I'll forward it to you.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    If you want the MicroCenter Doom3 coupon, leave your email address in this thread and I'll forward it to you.

Regards,
    PolkThug

What is that?
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    What is that?

You can buy Doom3 for 46.87, instead of $55. Good Aug4-8 only.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2004
    Good deal. Damnit. Too bad I'm not buying it until I get my new VC.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2004
    I got it, got a new 9800XT and can't wait to play it.

Oh, its also impossible to play this game at it highest video settings. I read a review/interview saying that at times the graphics at max settings will require a 512mb video card.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited August 2004
    A Radeon Mobility 9600 w/64meg plays it pretty decently.

Go buy it, play it, and then make a judgement on if you need to upgrade or not. I think you'll be suprised!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2004
    Do you guys think it will hit PS2 or XBox in the near future? I mean the whole $2000 PC computer game set up is not my thing.......
    at that point I should just be hacking into my work payroll....
    Did I just say that out loud!!!! :eek:
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    It is planned to be released on the Xbox, but the experience graphically will not be nearly the same.
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2004
    i'm a diehard xbox fan, but i hate cross-ports...get doom3 on pc, it is incredible, i'm actually scared playing the game...and the graphics are amazing =P

doom3 on xbox cant be nearly as good....

and there's actually a story, one ripped off from half-life (who i'm sure ripped it off from something else), but hey, i dont need originality, just a story of some kind =)
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2004
    as far as specs go i'm running:

p4 2.8ghz
    1gig ram, cant remember the speed, but its decent
    radeon 9500pro

runs fine, the game configured to "medium" graphic level, but it still looks beautiful....
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • wrxmy02
    wrxmy02 Posts: 92
    edited August 2004
    Turn out the lights, turn up the bass..
    "’Doom 3’’ features realistic physics, 6-channel surround sound, and real-time dynamic lighting and shadows that create an environment of ever-changing fear and uncertainty. "

Please do tell on the "6 channel surround"

Circuit City $45 this week only!!

http://www.circuitcity.com/gamedetail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=98309&catoid=-11621&m=0
    Front: LSI7
    Center: LSIC
    Surrounds: LSI7
    SVS PB2-ISD SUB [MONOLITH!]
    ATI 1805 Amp
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2004
    Yes, it's supposed to be out on XBOX, which is the platform I'll be buying it on.

Is it going to look as good as it does on PC? No, but it will still look awesome!

I've long since given up the computer gaming phase....
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited August 2004
    Not trying to piss off any Doom fanboys here, but... honestly, I'm kind of disappointed in Doom 3. The graphics are outstanding, the sound is well done, but the gameplay is getting old fast for me. After hearing the hype that they got a sci-fi writer to help with this, I guess I expected more depth. I'm still going to play it through to completion, but... color me unimpressed. But boy, it sure is a pretty-looking game. I just wish they'd made it more like Clive Barker's Undying and not relied on cheap scares.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited August 2004
    I am the opposite. I dont want a story line. Just lots o'levels with tons of scary monsters and good graphics. I dont want puzzles, dont want to think, just run around shootin' and watching splosions, Yee Ha!
    Graham
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    I almost prefer it to have, if any, the cheesiest story possible. Like FarCry. There is no point in trying to make a good story in a video game. Just use something painfully generic and make the game fun above all else.
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    Whelp, I got it before having to come to work, installed it, and played just a bit. I'm impressed. Just can't wait to get back home and play it in the dark. I liked to have jumped out of my skin already, lol.

But....... playing it at 1600x1200 kinda bites. I like very fast frame rates, and even on low, it wants to crawl at times. I run all my games at 1600x1200, so its real hard to drop resolution. Oh well, I'll upgrade soon.
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by punk-roc
    and there's actually a story, one ripped off from half-life (who i'm sure ripped it off from something else), but hey, i dont need originality, just a story of some kind =)

They are following the original Doom story theme, which existed way before half-life.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited August 2004
    The XBox version will be about at the "Medium" detail level on the PC, and that's pretty freaking good. Keep in mind the XBox is a closed platform, so they can optimize the piss out of it.

The 6 channel audio should be supported by any modern (last 2 years) soundcard. Anything that was advertised at "5.1" should play it. Even my motherboard with a SigmaTel 9758 AC97 solution gave me GREAT 5.1 sound, and it was free on my motherboard.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    What speakers are you 5.1 guys using?

I just use a pair of headphones and I still get great positioning from my Audigy 2.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    This game has incredible bass... very impressive.

Thus far the game, as predictable as it is, has been impressing me. There is only one complaint, and that is the game shutting down..... in the middle of play.

I know it was optomized for Nvidia cards but damn, give me a break..

It wasn't optimized for NVidia....NVidia shelled out the most cash to get their name on it.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    Just got done with 40 minutes of it. Now, thats one hell of a game. The graphics really are amazing. I was playing on high quality. I am using a 2800+, 9800XT and 1 gig RAM. It was slightly choppy at times, but nothing to even worry about. The graphics really are stunning.

For those of you who looked at the controls, id did keep the original movement keys so you can play the whole thing by keyboard just like you did in Doom 1. Kinda cool I think. I also love the remake of the fire throwing alien guy. Its awesome.

I really doubt the Xbox will do justice to the game and its graphics.