Amp. Reviews (for future reference)

Options
13»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Still like my Polks. Well built and noise free. What more can ya ask.....well maybe a little smaller so 3 of them don't take up the whole trunk.

MTX are still high up on my list as are Crossfire, Kicker and Memphis. I really like Zapco but gawdamighty theyre expensive.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The only ones I ever had problems with were the ones in my truck :(

haha.

Other than that, I sold a few hundred and installed another few hundred of them...had next to none come back, ever.

I still remember a guy with a T5002 bridged at 1 ohm and never had an issue with it...and he abused the crap out of that amp.

From what I've learned in forums, and it seems to be doubly true for anything audio related, is that there's always a flavor of the month and people spew out what other people have said they may or may not have been true in the first place, and it multiplies from there. The most common one was about 3-4 years ago with all the rage was this pair of CDT components for $150 that were absolute freakin crap and not worth half that...yet they were being compared with systems double the price and being said they were better. So there's very few people I trust when it comes to what I hear on forums. And TBH, I havent been on a dedicated audio forum besides this one in a long while, so I'm not sure if those guys are even around anymore.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    as are Crosshair

Reported. If you want to talk guns, go somewhere else:tongue::tongue:
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Oops. The Crosshair is a badass motherboard I'm usually talking about on computer forums. My stupid text predictor apparently thought that's what I was talking about again.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Still like my Polks. Well built and noise free. What more can ya ask.....well maybe a little smaller so 3 of them don't take up the whole trunk.

MTX are still high up on my list as are Crossfire, Kicker and Memphis. I really like Zapco but gawdamighty theyre expensive.

Polks are great amps. Had the 500.4 for 4 years with 0 issues. The Ford isn't the quietest car. Lots of engine and road noise seeps in. Which means a ton of cancellations. The staging lost a lot of impact while on the road. I had two ways to fix that. Dynamat the crap out of the car or just throw more power at the speakers. Considering my love for this car and the fact that I'm going to sell it as soon as the damn payments are done, more power seemed like a better solution. I can carry that with me when I sell.

I would not have bought the Genesis bnib. But at virtually 50% off they seemed like a good solution. 100% gain on sub power and 50% on the components. Mind you, I've always been a Genesis fan. But does it give you better SQ? No. It just gives you more watts. :biggrin: Mind you at the end of the day it still is a 0 sum game. The extra watts are of no use when I'm listening late at night with the car parked and very limited ambient noise. It's 40 degrees in the tin can, if I switch on the AC the blast of air from the vents messes up the dispersion. Hence, 0 benefit of the extra watts, only losses.

Haven't heard the Crossfire or the Memphis as you don't get them here. Also have 0 knowledge on old school amps, cause old school for me mean't cheap 6x9 at the back with a pair of tweets up front, all running off the AM/FM cassette player. I really thought, I had great sound:cool:.
  • arun1963
    edited June 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    From what I've learned in forums, and it seems to be doubly true for anything audio related, is that there's always a flavor of the month and people spew out what other people have said they may or may not have been true in the first place, and it multiplies from there. The most common one was about 3-4 years ago with all the rage was this pair of CDT components for $150 that were absolute freakin crap and not worth half that...yet they were being compared with systems double the price and being said they were better. So there's very few people I trust when it comes to what I hear on forums. And TBH, I havent been on a dedicated audio forum besides this one in a long while, so I'm not sure if those guys are even around anymore.
    -Cody

++ Also people do not want to hear anything that questions their established beliefs and yes there's tons of politics on most forums. That's why home, here is so great.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Can someone compare
    polk/momo (c400.4, c300.2, c500.1) and polk/pa (500.4, 250.2, 1200.1....) amps?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I actually like the Carbon series amps better than the PA amps. All of the Carbon amps far exceeded their ratings and they looked awesome. If I had the room and could get them, Id run 3 sets of 300.2's on all my drivers and a 500.1 on each sub.

• arun1963
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Another advantage of the carbon series 4 ch, it will let you go active.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ok, i guess i should start looking for C400.4 then :)
    I have MMC6500s (active setup) as a spare set and brand spanking new C300.2, might as well have a second set of everything needed in a setup for my next car/second car or even as a spare just in case.....

One thing i'm not sure about is C500.1 - just not much rms there.....and not 1ohm stable which comes handy when u got 2 subs...
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1