Amp. Reviews (for future reference)

Options

Comments

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited August 2004
    Options
    unfortunatly, ive only had experience with Power Acoustik amps, but i havent had any problems with them, ive had the one for about a year and a half now, the other maybe 6 months? no problems...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Since there's been a lot of asking along this subject I figured I'd pop it back up to the top of the list for others to read...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Options
    My $.02 worth:

$500 and under = Crossfire and MTX
    $500 and up = Xtant
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    Options
    500 and up i say US Amps

some of their smaller ones can be had for less and are of equal quality too.. all around damn find company
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i emailed speedsound.com and they said that their usamps products sold online are fully authorized...
    i still dont have any usamps connections...damn it...
    i need to work on that so by next year ill have one...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2004
    Options
    For the person inquiring about Carver... I owned a Carver M4120 (4x120 watts RMS @4ohms, ) a long time ago. It was a down right AWESOME amp. I ran 2 Cerwin Vega XL15D's off of it with one coil per channel. After that I got a PPI A600, solid amp, but blew up after a couple years. My next amp was a SoundStream Class A 10.0. I still have that amp, 10 years later, and still driving it at 1ohm mono (as I have been for 10 years). Definately the best amp I've ever owned, in quality, reliability, and sound quality. Plus it packs one hell of a punch. Ive had a couple Jenson's, and they are garbage!!

So, my favorites:
    1. Old School SoundStream
    2. Linear Power
    3. McIntosh
    4. Zapco
    5. US Amps
    6. MMatts

Garbage:
    1. All the obvious ones (Lanzar, Boss, Pyle, etc...)
    2. Power Acoustik
    3. New SoundStream - bought-out by Epsilon (owners of Power Acoustik
    4. Sony
    5. I'm tired of typing, so any others along these lines....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i emailed speedsound.com and they said that their usamps products sold online are fully authorized...
    i still dont have any usamps connections...damn it...
    i need to work on that so by next year ill have one...lol
    -Cody

yeah, if you take the zipcode they have with their address on the main page and run it through US Amps dealer locator it shows up there too, that's how i knew they could be trusted :D
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • jt122333221
    jt122333221 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Options

Kicker: My Kicker DX700 was a bit of a flop. I have had a great majority of good dealing with Kicker equipment and components, but this one was a pain. The amp was always a little sketch, though powerfully pushing 300w to my DB12's, and would switch off. Crossover module seemed a little unecessary, but offers special options if wanted. Seemed to be a great point to get broken off. The module I had fried, causing a "weeeeooouupp.... POP!" then killing the amp for about 5 mins. I swapped for a passthrough module, fixing the problem for a while, then the input stage went completely dead. I have had NO contact whatsoever from their C.S. dept. via e-mail, and I hate to call.
    >>>Good amps, lots of power, but IMPOSSIBLE to repair/troubleshhoot myself due to the way it's constructed. Again, no response C.S. but a good high-power, middle class amp.

-Jerry

I disagree with Jerry. I have had nothing but good experiences with Kicker. I have a 2010 Kicker ZX1000.1 2 Ohm stable amp, sounds great with my 2 12" CVX's as well. I've had the amp for about 8 months now, and no problems have risen from them. The amp Jerry is speaking of is one of Kicker's lower level amps, similar to the DS series speakers and the regular Comp subs, which may be why there is not as much quality there.

Again, with Kicker's customer service, I have had nothing but good results. I actually just asked them a question about 20 minutes ago, and in less than 15, I received a response (yes, that was using the generic support {at} kicker.com e-mail).
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I was gonna respond just to make fun of a guys first post being a response to a 7 year old thread but I have to admit I got a kick out of reading our old posts. Man we didn't know crap back then did we? :biggrin:
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,747
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I was gonna respond just to make fun of a guys first post being a response to a 7 year old thread but I have to admit I got a kick out of reading our old posts. Man we didn't know crap back then did we? :biggrin:

Who is this "we" you're referring to?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Obviously I wasn't referring to you. You're the smartest guy in the whole internets.

• exalted512
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Obviously I wasn't referring to you. You're the smartest guy in the whole internets.

You still dont know much...or else you'd know that I am, in fact, the smartest guy in the interwebzdeal.gif
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    No, you're just the shortest. Oh yeah, I went there.

• Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    You still dont know much...or else you'd know that I am, in fact, the smartest guy in the interwebzdeal.gif
    -Cody

Cody,

See, you obviously can't read 'cause he said "internets", not "interwebz".

Get it straight.

Love,
    Jstas

• exalted512
    edited June 2011
    Options
    No, you're just the shortest. Oh yeah, I went there.

Hey, I'm 5'10.5"...I cant be the shortest...haha
    Jstas wrote: »
    Cody,

See, you obviously can't read 'cause he said "internets", not "interwebz".

Get it straight.

Love,
    Jstas

Actually, I'm so smart that I corrected what Aaron was thinking, even after he typed it.:tongue:
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'10.5"...I cant be the shortest...haha

Actually, I'm so smart that I corrected what Aaron was thinking, even after he typed it.:tongue:
    -Cody

Cody,

Wow! You really are a **** smeller!

I mean, smart feller!

Or...do I????

Love,
    Jstas

• MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'10.5"...I cant be the shortest...

I call BS. The fact that you had to claim that half an inch there makes me think you're trying to add a couple extra inches. And I know something about trying to add extra inches.....I mean.....nevermind.

• Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I call BS. The fact that you had to claim that half an inch there makes me think you're trying to add a couple extra inches. And I know something about trying to add extra inches.....I mean.....nevermind.

Macleod,

I'll bet you do!

Love,
    Jstas

• exalted512
    edited June 2011
    Options
    speaking of, did anyone get a load of woot's chaulk yesterday? I mean, uh, did you read the article?
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    speaking of, did anyone get a load of woot's chaulk yesterday? I mean, uh, did you read the article?

Cody,

I think you mean caulk.

Learn to spell.

Love,
    Jstas

P.S.: http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=17869

• MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What's a woot?

• Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What's a woot?

Macleod,

Get with the times.

http://www.woot.com/WhatIsWoot.aspx

Troglodyte.

Love,
    Jstas

• exalted512
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cody,

I think you mean caulk.

Learn to spell.

Love,
    Jstas

P.S.: http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=17869

Sorry, I get excited when people talk about caulk. That H just slipped right in.:biggrin:
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Macleod,

Get with the times.

http://www.woot.com/WhatIsWoot.aspx

Troglodyte.

Love,
    Jstas

Sorry, if it doesn't involve hot midget ****, I just can't be bothered with it these days.

• exalted512
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What's a woot?

I revoke your computer geek status.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2011
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I heard the last time he tried to add a couple extra inches, he threw the pump through the computer monitor. Something about it not getting any suction...

Yeah, thats what I get for buying one at a yard sale.

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2011
    Options

You know what they say, 'its not the length of the wand, but the magic in it that counts'. :smile:
  • arun1963
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So now that you'll are smarter, (with the exception of John who was just born smart :tongue:) what would your choices look like today.....
  • exalted512
    edited June 2011
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    You know what they say, 'its not the length of the wand, but the magic in it that counts'. :smile:

You're correct if by 'they', you mean people with small .......nevermind.
    arun1963 wrote: »
    So now that you'll are smarter, (with the exception of John who was just born smart :tongue:) what would your choices look like today.....

I'm still a fan of RF. Their new line of amps, along with Alpines are both very good.

To be honest, if its reliable and has decent tuning capabilities, I like 'em
    -Cody
  • arun1963
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You're correct if by 'they', you mean people with small .......nevermind.

I knew that was coming. :tongue:

I'm still a fan of RF. Their new line of amps, along with Alpines are both very good.

To be honest, if its reliable and has decent tuning capabilities, I like 'em
    -Cody

RF seems to be getting a lot of flak on some of the forums. Could be political though. The PDX also got a lot of flak, but the RF and PDX I listened to, were very nice.