blown CSi130 tweeter?

Options
UserNotFound
UserNotFound Posts: 6
edited July 2004 in Troubleshooting
my center channel sounded really flat, so i pulled the grill off to see if one of the kids had poked the tweeter dome to death...no such indication, but where the edge is usually nice and smooth and round, there appear to be a few small creases. anyways, it doesn't work. i pulled it out to look at it and was suprised at the modular design, so i looked at my FXi30's, and the tweeter looked the same, so i was just gonna pull one of them outta there and put it in the front.
unfortunately, i dont know much about all this technical stuff, but the tweeter from the fxi30 looks identicle, except it is lacking a round donut magnet attached to the backside of the csi130 tweeter.
what is the difference?
fxi30 tweeter is labeled : rd6513-1
csi30 tweeter labeled : rd6512-2

i want to purchase a new tweeter for the csi130, but can i use the fxi tweeter in the mean time?

if this is in the wrong place on the forum, let me know and i'll post it where it should go
Post edited by UserNotFound on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    I wouldn't recommend doing that, the additional magnet is called a "bucking" magnet and works to reduce the stray magnet fields. This could cause a problem if you have a "direct" view type television set. The best thing to do is to send the non-working tweeter, along with your name and address and a copy of the sales receipt to Polk Audio, 2550 Britannia Blvd., Suite A, San Diego, CA. 92154.
    Regards, Ken
  • UserNotFound
    edited July 2004
    Options
    can i just purchase a new tweeter to install myself? i'm not worried about warrenty, as this is a really simple installation i dont think i could screw up if i wanted to.

also, is it just the dome that goes bad? maybe i could just swap the silk dome assembly and keep the magnet in their respective speaker?

i have an LCD HDTV, so the "bucking magnet" is not really that important anyways, but i'd still rather things be the way they should be.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited July 2004
    Options
    He means...

Send him the *blown* tweeter...and they will send u the *new* one

And trust me, those tweets arnt cheap and that warranty is very important ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • UserNotFound
    edited July 2004
    Options
    well, how long does that warrenty apply? i bought it back in december, and i'm not sure where the receipt is, to be honest with you, i'll have a good look in my desk right now, i kept all the docs, i dont know if i have the receipt though :\ i got it from an online order through crutchfield.

also, i dont want to pay $10 or whatever to ship it to california, so that a week later i find out it's not covered or something, or it's going to cost me a ton, etc....so basically, what can i expect to happen?

also, i am an idiot, it is a CSi30, not CSi130...i'm pretty sure you knew what i meant though