Alpine TYPE X vs POLK mm10

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hello guys,

I have had the Polk mm10 these aren't very good speakers from my point of view. They are not strong.

I was wondering if any of you guys have tired the Alpine Type X how does it hit .??

I want to know what amp will go best with it I want to get two but I will get one for now and If I like how they hold up I will get another one and call it a day.

Anyone have any Opinions these type X go for around 250 ebay etc.

I also want to know will this box be fine.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dpB6xRrURPu/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=178650&I=044H1010SE&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

Let me know what u guys think.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    Options
    i didnt think the type x subs were out yet... perhaps i'm a little behind on this one; neglecting that, i believe that they're supposed to be somewhat better than the momos, both in sq and spl

the box - i'm leery of prefab ported boxes; this one is 1.0 ft^3 minus sub volume, which is fine, and it comes with a 12" port, which can be cut, which is also fine, but i usually find it more effective to build your own box - it's not expensive, not difficult, and allows you to customize the tuning and shape for your requirements... plus, i think q-logics tend to be flimsy...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    nice thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-I9bATNQgDAI/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=500SWX1042&g=67600&search=Alpine+TYpe+X

to the Alpine TYpe X does anyone how they compare to JL W7 10" power and performance wise..?

I don't know how to build a box soo I will have to get the Qlogic box also I don't have the tools :(.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    Options
    doubt it will compete that great with the w7
    that sub will probably kick the momo's **** in terms of output and have a good to moderate advantage in SQ
    http://www.sound-foundations.us//catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4
    that sub will go above and beyond the w7 and will more than likely obliterate the X
    and as far as q-logic boxes
    dont do it
    if you cant build one, get a shop to build one
    if you go with a q-logic box you have a good chance of destroying both the box and the sub...and not to mention sacrifcing both sound quality and SPL while doing so
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Soo most of you guys don't think the TYPE X is compareable to JLW7 10s??

why have u guys heard the TYPE X or speaking from alpine Experience..?

also anyone know if someone online makes custom box??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I see the Brahma 10 MKII

are very heavy. I wouldn't get that because I have a civic and its a race car. I want something like two GOOD tens. JLW7 10" are around 500buck each. And the Alpine TYPE X are $500 for two also the Specs on the type X looks much better then W7 10".
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jakedubb
    jakedubb Posts: 31
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Type X vs. MM10? That's an easy answer! Type R vs. MM10...Type R even puts the MM10 to shame.

I recently blew my MM10 so I tried a Type R and there was no comparison. I'll def. be sticking w/ the Alpine sub.
    Whatup?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ronald
    I have a civic and its a race car.

That's a brave statement. I hope you can back it up.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Options
    that one brahma ten would be comparable to two alpine type X's as far as output goes...so it might save you money and weight (1 vs. 2)
    anyway, if youre going to race, unhook the wires to the box and take it out...takes about 5 seconds to do
    what specs are you comparing?
    im no JL fan but im telling you the w7 will outperform the X in SPL and SQ
    and as far as im concerned, the DB speakers outperform the type R's as far as component speakers go, and i would take a momo sub over a type r sub as well
    plus, if you want a lot of bass, for two Xs youre talking 2000 watts...your stock alternator is not going to be able to handle that...thats too much voltage being taken away from your car...you would have to buy an aftermarket alternator...and those will take a lot more power away from your car than a 37 lb sub
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    The specs I am comparing to are the Alpine TYPE X.

carbon fiber/aluminum honeycomb cone
    high-roll Santoprene rubber surround
    cast aluminum frame
    dual 4-ohm voice coils
    frequency response 24-200 Hz
    power range 500-1,000 watts RMS (500 watts per coil)
    peak power handling 3,000 watts
    sensitivity 81 dB

I know the alternator won't be able to handle it. My alternator is only 85amps. I am looking into getting a 150AMP alternator from ebay. and about the race part is my car is around 2000LB with a 200hp motor do the math power to weight.

Also I see the Brahma ten looks interesting. Hows the warranty and support anyone?? Also where can I get it cheapest online :)...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Josh
    That's a brave statement. I hope you can back it up.

Not everyone has hundreds of pounds of stereo holding their civic back.

Why I think the W7 will be better than the X: The W7 is a beast. It can handle a ton of power and sounds great. Alpine has not been known to put out a top of the line type of subwoofer before. Even their top of the line components are more or less a knockoff of Scan Speak revelators with a ridiculous crossover. For those who don't know, Scan Speak is part of DST... the makers of a ton of speakers on the market, no matter who rebadges it. For example, there have been DST speakers sold on Parts Express that were rebadged by JBL and Infinity.

On the other hand, I don't know if the W7 will win the bang for the buck aspect. $1000 retail for a W7 is quite expensive!
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • jakedubb
    jakedubb Posts: 31
    edited July 2004
    Options
    The specs I am comparing to are the Alpine TYPE X.

carbon fiber/aluminum honeycomb cone
    high-roll Santoprene rubber surround
    cast aluminum frame
    dual 4-ohm voice coils
    frequency response 24-200 Hz
    power range 500-1,000 watts RMS (500 watts per coil)
    peak power handling 3,000 watts
    sensitivity 81 dB

I know the alternator won't be able to handle it. My alternator is only 85amps. I am looking into getting a 150AMP alternator from ebay. and about the race part is my car is around 2000LB with a 200hp motor do the math power to weight.

Also I see the Brahma ten looks interesting. Hows the warranty and support anyone?? Also where can I get it cheapest online :)...

If you don't end up getting the Ebay auction alt. this guy is great... http://www.excessiveamperage.com/
    Whatup?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Options
    In my opinion, the W7 is the daddy of all subwoofers. They may not be the loudest but theyll definitely put out some decibels. Their strength lies in their SQ, they are the best sounding sub around, again, in my opinion.

Con- expensive as hell. If youre wanting something in the $400 range, look to the W6. Awesome sub!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BassAce
    BassAce Posts: 12
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Take a look at the infinity perfect VQ's on sounddomain I'm sure there lightwight and should sound good. If your really hardcore about weight and need bass, infinity's will play in free air at half power. I'm guessing that if they are mounted in free air that the bass may be loose. Also, free air mounts like your full range speakers. You need to isolated the front and rear parts of the speaker. If I was in your shoes I'd get the Adire Audio's, you could always get a lower end model from Adire, instead of the Brahma's.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,741
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I see the Brahma 10 MKII

are very heavy. I wouldn't get that because I have a civic and its a race car.

Race cars dont have stereos, tough guy.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bknauss
    edited July 2004
    Options
    *takes cover*

$500 for a W7 is the transshipping price. An authorized dealer probably would never come anywhere near that price. Its fairly amazing how much prices go up when you have a shop to run with employees and you offer the warranty with the product.
    Brian Knauss
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss
    *takes cover*
    good call... i'm right behind you...
    and about the race part is my car is around 2000LB with a 200hp motor do the math power to weight.
    2000 pounds? that's quite impressive...

consider the 2005 lotus elise (vying for first in my lineup of favorite 2-seaters) - 190 HP, a hair under 2000 lbs, $40,000, 0-60 of 4.4 seconds, and a quartermile of 13.2@104.

your specs include roughly a 60% horsepower increase over a stock civic coupe, and a weight decrease of around 500 pounds (approximately 20%) for the same. specs are similar for a sedan; if the vehicle is a civic si, then the HP increase is a less-extreme 25%, from 160, but the weight decrease is nearly 800 pounds.

in any case, you seem to have put some serious work into this vehicle... why are you putting 70 pounds of sub, amp, and box into a car that you spent so much time lightening?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I want a system badly. 70-80lBS is not much for a car light like mine. I can take it out when I go track etc..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2004
    Options
    true... cody's comment is quite easily implemented, and that's happy times all around...

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Options
    be warned:
    being able to take your subs out easily is not always a good thing...
    if you get a brahma 10" and put it in a nice fat ported box built to specs with a hifonics bx1500d wired to one ohm...that will out bump all of your little ricer friends and just plain kick **** in general
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Options
    maybe u don't but I Sure DO :O

Do you even know what fast is?

Do you even know what a race car looks like?

So tell me Mr. McDonald, how fast has that little clown car of yours gone? 200 horses in a 2,000 pound FWD car that has a severe traction disadvantage? I'm betting high 13's at best on a GOOD day.

How did you get it to that 200 horse mark? Oh and where do you go racing at? 'Cause when you take that sub out and leave it in the pits, I wanna watch the low-life that is going to take it, pick it up and try to run with it. Or are you one of those punk kids who think street racing is cool?

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2004
    Options
    See? It's still here, and it isn't too out of hand yet...
  • bknauss
    edited August 2004
    Options
    That's like going to the beginning of the LA Riots and going "its not out of hand yet" ;)
    Brian Knauss
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    Options
    what'd you go and take it out for? it was fun.....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • suburban man
    suburban man Posts: 3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    if u want a real sub buy a type r 12 inch and rattle the mirror rite off and thank me in the morning
    :D:D:D;):p
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Ronald, I have to admit that if you wrote and sang that yourself, you're a lyrical genious, but it still don't mean that your Honda can toast every 8' out there...For goodness's sake give it up....
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Jstas
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I think I have stumbled on the problem!
    I love my Honda like I love my ganja
    I’ll smoke ya v-8 like I smoke marijuana

Dude, lay off the wacky tobaccy already!

• Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Jstas
    I think I have stumbled on the problem!

Dude, lay off the wacky tobaccy already!

haha
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Dude, I dont know if anyone has ever sat you down and gone over this with you but I feel I must.

YOU'RE WHITE! ACCEPT IT!!

Peace out
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D