waves in televition

Options
tecmo04
tecmo04 Posts: 421
edited August 2004 in Troubleshooting
i have a csi5 and monitor 70s. they all surround my tv pretty close concidering it is in the corner of the room. when i first turn my tv everything is great and strait. after watching it for a little waves in the picture start to form int he top right corner and they are very noticable. the speakers are all supposed to be magenticly sheilded so why is this happening? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by tecmo04 on

Comments

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Not sure I can assist but I believe I read in another thread where not all speakers end up completely passing the "magnetically shielded test" before they end up in the consumer's household. Perhaps Ken S. and others can chime in and troubleshoot this problem with you.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    The symptoms of stray magnetic fields, effecting a television picture tube, are a purplish or greenish tinting to the edges of the picture, not waves. Waves are most often related to video noise. In other words, what in the world of audio would be humming or buzzing shows up, on a televison set, as waves or lines that sometimes slowly travel from the bottom to the top of the picture. The way to test this theory is to move the speakers away from the sides of the set to see if anything changes.
    regards, Ken
  • jefft1314
    jefft1314 Posts: 169
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Perhaps a surge protector with clean power circuitry or some better shielded video cables would fix the problem?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    Options
    At my CC, at least half of the plasmas on the new display have light green and pink waves that slowly move up the screens.
  • tecmo04
    edited August 2004
    Options
    i used the wrong wording and im sorry. when i say waves, i mean the lines across the top right of my screen bend, not lines running up and down the tv. it is most noticable when playing video games, concidering all the lines that run across the whole screen.

check out the picture, look at the "waves" in the writting. sry i dont know a better word for it
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited August 2004
    Options
    1) If it were a shielding issue, it would do it all the time-not after the set warms up.

2) If it is a source issue, it should disappear when you switch such.

3) Sounds to me like it's in the set itself and that something is breaking down under heat, most likely in the board that controls convergence.
  • johnny_utah
    johnny_utah Posts: 117
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I can see the refelection of a shoe in the screen. :) Sorry I know that doesn't help.
  • johnny_utah
    johnny_utah Posts: 117
    edited August 2004
    Options
    You should probably try and unplug all components of your system and make sure they are not causing any type of interference. I say this because you say it happens more with video games. After that I would call customer service for the tv and ask them if they have had the problem before. my 2¢.
  • tecmo04
    edited August 2004
    Options
    thanks for the quick response. i bought the extended warenty when i got the tv. sounds like i get to make a service call, yeah me
  • TechChallenged
    TechChallenged Posts: 106
    edited August 2004
    Options
    A TV can get magnetized when it is moved or even just rotated. However the problem you are describing suggest the TV does not require Degaussing. You stated that the problem is occurring after the tube heats up. You may have a component that is about to fail or just no longer able to disperse heat efficiently. Try blowing out the dust that accumulated inside your TV.