Well chit...(Bonus: Dual battery pics)

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well...not having great luck
the ground wire came off the terminal on one of my mm6 mids the other day
so i soldered it back on
had the panel off and the speaker resting on my knee...not really sure what happened after that...but the speaker fell and the dust cap got dented on my knee
many cuss words
didnt rip or anything...so i was just going to install it, play it and let it pop back out...it wasnt that bad...just about 1/4 of it was pushed in
well i got to turn my truck on and it pops out on its own
so im like...great!...dont have to worry about it now
well i installed dual batteries...so i had to disconnect the battery...thus messing up all my settings on my radio
i go to put the hp filter back on my fronts
set it at 50 like i always have it...turn it up...the mid stops working
at this point...im thinking...damn it...my little speaker surgery didnt hold
take the speaker back out
solder was fine
push the ground wire...starts working again
well...evidently the wire came loose again...but this time not from the terminal, but from the cone
joy
i cant fix that damn it
plus, as most of you know i have one DX tweeter and one MOMO tweeter since my other tweet got grounded out and died
well
the DX tweeter plays louder than the MOMO tweeters
whats up with that?
the DX is playing loud and smooth and the MOMO starts cracking up
*sigh*
anyway...since now i have a dead tweet and mid...im going to have to buy the entire set again
well...i was going to anyway since polk wants a $100 dollar for a single tweet
anyway...ill pick up a set off ebay for like 180 bones and replace my dead speakers
but
thats going to have to wait
i talked with seth, the owner of http://www.sound-foundations.us , and ill be picking up a couple of 12" brahmas probably early next week
bad thing is that theyre back ordered...
oo well
but i got some MDF today and will start box building saturday
the things are so deep that im going to have to build the box, then raise the part around the magnet to get them to fit
im going to try and down fire these babies
but with a mounting depth of 7.25", its going to be tricky
especially since i have to have 1.15" for the excursion(holy crap...momos have .5") and an additional inch for 'buffer' room
that plus an inch behind the magnet...and still room for 3/4" MDF
so the box is just over 11" tall
all of that under the back seat...
if all else fails...ill say screw it and just make another forward firing box
but anyway...heres some random pics of the dual batteries...the tools you need...etc
before:
531337_48_full.jpg
tools you need:
531337_47_full.jpg
batteries i got...i love these energizers
$89 for 875 CCA...$79 for the ones without side posts
531337_46_full.jpg
and the final product:
531337_45_full.jpg
wired in parallel with extra 1/0awg i had laying around
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• denis87
    denis87 Posts: 86
    edited July 2004
    sucks to hear about the speaker situation. good luck with the new ones.
    www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    Great job on the batt's Cody! (and feel for you for the speaks)
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    i need to get a few more feet of wire loom
    either that or take it all off and just show all the massive blue wire under the hood:D
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2004
    Where's the engine? :)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Is there any way you can test the subs downfiring before dedicating the box to that. I have my MTX 8 firing down to help with output since Im only sending 140 rms to it (about to be a lot more. Im fiddin to go to Circuit City and buy that Alpine Class D amp they have on sale) and although it does offer up a lot more output, its not very clean and downright boomy. Now mine is firing into a hole and not down onto the floor like yours would be so it may have a different result.

Also, let us know what kind of luck you have off of E-bay. $180 is awful cheap for MM6's so Im interested in seeing if you get a set of Kraco speakers with the name Kraco scratched out and Momo written in with a sharpie! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    Where's the engine? :)
    this coming from the person who has the exact same engine in his 'hoe?
    unless its a new body style...then mines bigger:D
    but oddly enough, puts out less HP
    where did you pick up those DynAudios?
    is there a place in TX that deals them?

macleod-
    no way to find out without building the box
    if anything, ill sell it after i make it if it dont work or i dont like it
    if it sounds boomy...it might be the subs...or the cubic feet...try adding poly fill in it to see if it makes a difference
    and ill let you know how my ebay ordeal goes through

officially ordering the brahmas on tuesday
    cant wait
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Im using polyfill now and it helped a little. The problem I think is 2 fold.

1- the sub is litterally firing into a hole. This cant be the ideal setting. Because of this it is causing the storage area under the seat to resonate and, well Im not too big to admit it, my bass sounds like ****! I tried it that way on a hunch and now I dont like it but now that I live in an apt I have no place to build another...plus I work 10,000 hours a week....plus I suck at building boxes

2- the box is too small! Its a whopping .29 ft3. Thats as big as I could build it and still fit in the hole, and still have room form amps and tools and such. The MTX Im using claims to be able to work in a .25 ft3 box but prefers a .38 but I thought I could get away with it. Im going to try to build one a smidge bigger, maybe .32 ft3 and use the Diamond Audio CM3 8" or the Kicker L7 8". They will work in a .27 and .33 ft3 box respectively. And this time I will have the proper wattage and have no need for downfiring so Ill aim it up.

You probably wont have any problem with yours. Since the area under your seat is flat, it should work fine.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    on a side note, i went to the local Polk/MOMO dealer and took a look at the new comps
    i love the way they look...very clean
    they dont have their sound board set up anymore...
    worthless...lol
    anyway, thought id share...man i hope i can get these damn subs to fit...
    i dont wanna go with 10s
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    10s aint bad!

I bet you would be hard pressed to even notice the difference provided they were installed and powered properly.

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    nah, im pretty sure id be able to hear the difference...i have a good ear for that
    probably not after i get these things installed though...i might go deaf
    lol
    and the whole...
    'what do you have in there?'
    'couple of 12s'
    sounds a lot better than 'a couple of 10s'
    lol
    these damn things are going to fit even if i have to put them on the damn back seat
    ok not really...but only because i wouldnt have to do that...i know theyll fit forward firing if it comes to it
    2 reasons why i want to down fire
    1. cant see the subs from the outside
    2. wont get kicked in

plus...i might do a cut out and put some plexi glass so the basket is visible
    if i can get everything to work...i might build another one and put mirrors on the inside...that would look pretty sweet:D
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2004
    You have the 5.3L V-8 in your truck?...cause thats what we got in the HOE :)

bytw... Hawk Electronics is where I got them from in S.A.. 399 out the door... dont know if they carry them anymore...since my friend does not work there any more...I dont go in there :)

My olds has the 3.5L v-6
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    you must have the new body style
    mine is the 350 (5.7)
    now i have to start drawing up plans
    ill check em out someday...do they have a sound board set up?
    and if they do, do they have the 3-ways set up?
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    Hmm.. aftet thinking a while for you Cody, I have come up with a solution... cut holes in the floor!
    Seriously... if you are any good at sheet metal work, I'd drop a metal box extended under the cab, around the frame rails, to give you the room you need, as well as the clearance for the basket. Then you'd build a fiberglass box to fit this, with a MDF top for the subs, then you could make a book-shelf like MDF stand to set the backseat on. Plusses of this are that you'd be upward firing into an area that won't obstruct the sound or make it sound like a tuned-port box.
    I think it'd be a fun new aproach :D
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    i draw the line at cutting holes in my floor...
    im taking measurements right now and all i can say is i think im screwed on the down fire...im building the box anyway...MDF is only 20 bones a sheet
    i dunno...its going to be interesting
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    the only problem i have is the damn transmission hump
    if it would be back like...4 inches it would be perfect
    so making a hole right there might not be the best of ideas anyway
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Them 10's aint looking too bad now huh? LOL ;)

Thats actually a reason to use 10's. When somebody hears your rig and asks what you got in there, you can tell em 10's. That more impressive when youve got a glass breaking system but arent using the standard 12.

Plus 10's will not only be smaller but require less enclosure size which would allow you a lot more flexibility.

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    i dont think im going to go with the 10s...
    but...im building the box right now and its not looking good
    the box will be built...
    the only problem i have is that its going to HAVE to be lifted up in an 8x8" square to fit the magnet
    which is ok if i can get it to lift up in the middle of the seat
    problem being i might not be able to lift it up in the middle because of the way things panned out
    it would have to be lifted up right on the edge of the seat...which is a no go because theres a rail in the front of the seat
    oo well...the momos will probably fit though...lol
    the whole 7.25" mounting depth is a killer
    the momo has a 6" mounting depth...
    if all else fails...ill sell the one im making...im on a chevy forum too...someone will be able to use it for a sub with a shallower mounting depth...if i can get $50 for it...that would already have paid for all the materials i used plus $19...plus extra MDF, screws, liquid nails, and finishing nails(i put the box together with liquid nails and finishing nails to make sure it doesnt go anywhere when i screw it)
    if it doesnt work...im just going to buy the cheapest black carpet i can find and put it on it and sell it like that
    then ill build a forward firing box...lol
    but im still hoping it wont come to that;)
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Ok, ok...I think I'm going to give in and go ahead and get the 10s
    damn it
    lol
    after looking at the situation...there was just no way to fit the 12s but to forward fire...and i really want to downfire because I'm afraid they might get kicked in by passengers...or even worse...stolen because you can see them from the outside...
    on the bright side
    10s are cheaper
    handle the same power
    dont take up as much space
    wont get kicked in because theyre downfiring
    less chance of getting stolen because theyre more hidden
    down side
    theyre not 12s
    wont be as loud
    and
    theyre not 12s
    lol
    also, downfiring means i can make the box look cooler
    i can put plexiglass where you can see the basket
    im not sure if im going to cover it in vinyl or carpet yet
    i might cover it in vinyl and put some expanding foam b/t the vinyl and the wood to give it the soft, poofy feel/look
    back to work
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    The 10's should serve you well, it's a P/U cab not an suv.
    plexiglas? I thought you wanted it discrete... I'd make the box carpetted in the same as the floor if possible, then just let people hear it and call it stock... well, maybe not, but it's awfully cool getting the **** kicked out of you when you can't even see it.
    -Jerry

• MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    I agree. Im a big fan of stealth. It is really cool when you cant see anything but your insides are getting shook to pieces. However, I do like to show off the amps. Dont know why I like to look at amps but like speakers to be invisible, but I think it looks cool. :cool:

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    haha...i cant even get the fuggin tens to fit downfiring
    thats crap
    and i also found out that behind the drivers side theres more room b/t the transmission hump and the wall than there it on the passenger side....i dunno why...
    this leaves me back with the 12" option again...either way...they are going to forward firing now
    cant get around it...ive tried everything i could...aint going to happen
    either stick with 12s or go to 10s
    i can tuck 10s under the seat and leave it more stealth
    i can tuck 12s under the seat more so than they are now though as well
    10s will have a little more leg room
    12s will sound better and get louder
    12s would require twice as much cubic feet
    1.8 vs .6
    either way, im not the happiest person in the world right now...lol
    im leaning toward the 12s at this point
    what would you guys get?
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    The 12's will be louder but I dont know if Id necessarily say they will sound better. If you like rap or techno then I guess they would but if youre more into hard rock or metal a 10 will a better match.

Besides, everybody has 12's. Do something different! :D

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    i really think 12s sound better
    they can grasp that low end a lot better than 10s
    rock is my dominant choice of music...but a lot of the newer rock...you know...the type where you cant understand the words but listen to it anyway...lol
    static-x, disturbed, drowning pool
    a lot of their music is LOW
    not just the drums, but the bass guitar as well
    i also listen to a little rap and even less country
    so pretty much...my listening habits are more on the 'needs more low end' side
    the decisions i have to face...
    lol
    1 vote for 10s from macleod
    anyone else?
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    I know we've seen the back of your truck, but why can't the passenger's seat just sit higher up to account for downfiring?
    -Jerry

-edit-
    also if the box has to be 11" tall of the 12's downfire, what would it have to be for forward-fire.. 13" or so?

• MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, that puzzles me a little too. Wouldnt 12" subs be taller when standing on their side as opposed to being firing down?

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    531337_6.jpg
    531337_23.jpg
    you are correct that my box now is 14" tall
    but the 13" comes out in front of the seat, then drops down considerably
    these are a rough sketch of the plans for the box...the numbers arent exact, but pretty close
    you can see by looking at the side view that it slopes down
    531337_49.jpg
    it actually sticks out pretty far...theres an inch above the grill that could be taken out
    if i do 10s...i could take a lot out...
    itd be 11" tall
    if i did 12s id be 12.75" tall
    still dont know to protect these from getting kicked in though...
    doubt they make grills for subs with over 1" of excursion
    still not sure about 10s or 12s...the sad thing is ill probably lose sleep over this
    lol
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    ok...i was at work today and extremely bored...so i had a lot of time to think about this
    advantages of 10s:
    smaller
    more leg room
    more storage room
    less box restrictions
    since there are less box restrictions because the box itself will be smaller, the box will be easier to build
    it will be easier to take in and out of the truck
    wont be as visible to anyone looking inside the truck
    save money on box materials and the speakers themselves (i dont really care about price though...so this isnt really much of a benefit...id rather pay more now and be happier...you cant put a price on happiness:) )

advantages to 12s:
    louder
    I WANT 12s
    i did some quick measurements of a new body style truck...the same as one ill be getting next year and it will be able to fit a 12" sub downfiring...

i already have 12s in my truck...and if i did 12s again, the box would still be smaller than my current one and will have more leg room and more storage space...
    but on the bad side, 12s are more visible to the outside...i can make it to where they wont get stolen...but i have a $900 radio that can be stolen extremely easy...i can literally be in and out of my truck with the radio in no more than 10 seconds if i just ripped the dash off
    only thing i have keeping my radio in the truck is a detachable face plate...which is next to worthless now since you can get em for $50 off of ebay...and a little blinking light on my dash...
    besides, if someone does get in my truck...chances are they broke something in the process...
    im on the look out on ebay for a GM radio...preferrably one that doesnt work so itll be cheaper
    plan is to take the faceplate off of it and rig it up to where i can put it over my current radio whenever i leave the truck giving it the stock look

problems i forsee with 10s or 12s:
    them getting kicked in...
    plain and simple...i dont want my new $600+ subs getting kicked it by some dumb **** in the back seat
    and they dont make grills that i know of for subs with over 1" of excursion
    im thinking about putting plexiglass over them...i would probably need to put it like 3" away from the sub though...thus taking up any gained leg room that i had from building the box smaller...any suggestions?
    the momo grills stick out just under 2" though...so i dont guess an inch more would make much of a difference

and if you happen to be wondering what my decision was on 10s or 12s...im going to go with 12s and will be ordering them as soon as the owner of sound-foundations gets back with me:D
    but im open to suggestions on how i should go about protecting these things from getting kicked in...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    I wouldnt go with plexiglass cause it will act too much like a bandpass box and sound like ****.

But here is my genius idea!

How about rigging up some kind of wire mesh grill or maybe a honeycomb grill or something of the sort that would run the length of the seats and from top to bottom. Mount it as far forward as you can so you wont have to worry about the subs hitting them and you wont have to worry about some head getting stupid and kicking a hole in your new babies!

Whatch think?

Genius aint it? :p

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    maybe...at this point...anything goes...
    what about plexiglass with holes in it?
    haha
    im open to anything at this point
    i was thinking the same thing about the bandpass thing
    we have some spare hurricane fencing around...maybe that?
    lol
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Hey, that plexiglass with holes thing doesnt sound too bad! That way you get the best of both worlds. You get to see your handywork, protect it and not have the **** sound of a bandpass!