New to me Monitor 5's - tweeter replacement, cross-over recap, what else?

Options
I am embracing vinyl again and have Sonos throughout the house and do not like way that vinyl sounded through it. I picked up a pari of Monitor 5's with the SL 2000 tweeters. I feel like the highs are a bit veiled and found this forum.

I am considering replacing the tweeters with the RD0194-1 and am looking through old posts to see about recapping the crossovers.

I have these paired with a cheap powered sub so I don't need to worry too much about super low frequencies but would like to tighten up the high end.

As I catch up on all the old threads I wanted to say hi and see if anyone has any other suggestions for me.

Thanks!
Mark

p70p3ome1i61.jpg
3vro7dfikfc6.jpg
6c3wls138akz.jpg
g51n6fvhnxz2.jpg
mv3jvsgtkcx6.jpg


Comments

  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,403
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk.

    The SL2000 tweeters are anything but veiled, so you have something else going on. Let's start with, what are you using for power?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 27,897
    Options
    Unless the poly switch is tripping as soon as signal is going through or completly open.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,403
    Options
    Possible, but then there wouldn't be any highs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • Sosublime
    Sosublime Posts: 4
    Options
    I am using a Wiim Amp Ultra for power with a Clearaudio Basic Plus phono preamp connected to a Fluance RT-85 turntable with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. I have a JBL PSW-1000 sub and have the crossover set at 80 Hz on the Wiim. Veiled was probably not the best word to use. I would say they can sound too harsh after listening for awhile.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,403
    edited 5:28PM
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the details, very helpful.

    The SL2000 is a nasty sounding tweeter with a 5dB spike around 13kHz. I suggest replacing them the Polk RD0194-1. That's a zero.

    If still a bit harsh after that I would look at the Wiim as the ESS Sabre chip to my ears always sounds edgy/harsh. Class D amps can also be edgy/harsh.

    Edit: forgot to address your crossover question. Yes, upgrading those will net sonic benefits, but that's not the issue at present. When you do upgrade them avoid Solen, Bennic and Dayton caps. Upgrade the resistors too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • Sosublime
    Sosublime Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you! I will order the tweeters. I have just started building this system. What would you recommend in place of the Wiim if the harshness is not relieved with the new tweeters. Thank you!
  • Sosublime
    Sosublime Posts: 4
    Options
    I appreciate the responses and feedback F1nut. Are there any brands you recommend currently and do you use parts-express or another online vendor. I will hold off on changing anything else until the tweeters arrive, but supplies seem limited for some things at least in tech these days.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for the details, very helpful.

    The SL2000 is a nasty sounding tweeter with a 5dB spike around 13kHz. I suggest replacing them the Polk RD0194-1. That's a zero.

    If still a bit harsh after that I would look at the Wiim as the ESS Sabre chip to my ears always sounds edgy/harsh. Class D amps can also be edgy/harsh.

    Edit: forgot to address your crossover question. Yes, upgrading those will net sonic benefits, but that's not the issue at present. When you do upgrade them avoid Solen, Bennic and Dayton caps. Upgrade the resistors too.

  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,403
    edited 6:42PM
    Options
    Sosublime wrote: »
    Thank you! I will order the tweeters. I have just started building this system. What would you recommend in place of the Wiim if the harshness is not relieved with the new tweeters. Thank you!

    Someone else here would be better at addressing that question as I don't have any knowledge of a specific combination streaming device and amplifier.

    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,403
    edited 6:42PM
    Options
    Sosublime wrote: »
    I appreciate the responses and feedback F1nut. Are there any brands you recommend currently and do you use parts-express or another online vendor. I will hold off on changing anything else until the tweeters arrive, but supplies seem limited for some things at least in tech these days.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for the details, very helpful.

    The SL2000 is a nasty sounding tweeter with a 5dB spike around 13kHz. I suggest replacing them the Polk RD0194-1. That's a zero.

    If still a bit harsh after that I would look at the Wiim as the ESS Sabre chip to my ears always sounds edgy/harsh. Class D amps can also be edgy/harsh.

    Edit: forgot to address your crossover question. Yes, upgrading those will net sonic benefits, but that's not the issue at present. When you do upgrade them avoid Solen, Bennic and Dayton caps. Upgrade the resistors too.

    For crossover components there are a vast number of choices. Forum cap favorites are Clarity CSA or Sonicap Gen I. For resistors Mills-Vishay are good.

    Here's some reading for you. I've found his observations to be pretty much spot on.
    https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk