Polk Monitor 60 Series II bad crossover advice
Options
jonconnellnyc
Posts: 2
Greetings.
Situation: Very happy Polk Monitor 60 Series II - and complete Polk 5 speaker HT setup. Love them. Must be almost 18 years of music and movies. Last month my left speaker started to sound 'off' - turns out I have two dead speakers in the middle of the cabinet (mid / bass whatever you call those stacked center drivers). Cabinet S/N AM609205895
Tiny bit of high mid spill popping through rarely but basically no sound.
I am an EE - my bet is that this is due to a capacitor giving up. No way I lost two drivers- unless they are in series maybe? Nah. Not surprising after almost twenty years of unreasonable work - I am impressed anyway. I stand to be corrected.
I haven't pulled the crossover PCB yet but I can see the general layout in other posts.
Question: Is there a schematic for those crossovers please? - or a BOM - P/N and spec for those caps? Something NP and special I am quite sure.
I can handle the replacement comfortably -- have a full lab here. I used to wind crossovers for Celestion over in the UK the late 70s / early 80s btw.
Any advice appreciated - I don't want to ruin all your design work!
Thanks
J Connell, Seattle, WA
Situation: Very happy Polk Monitor 60 Series II - and complete Polk 5 speaker HT setup. Love them. Must be almost 18 years of music and movies. Last month my left speaker started to sound 'off' - turns out I have two dead speakers in the middle of the cabinet (mid / bass whatever you call those stacked center drivers). Cabinet S/N AM609205895
Tiny bit of high mid spill popping through rarely but basically no sound.
I am an EE - my bet is that this is due to a capacitor giving up. No way I lost two drivers- unless they are in series maybe? Nah. Not surprising after almost twenty years of unreasonable work - I am impressed anyway. I stand to be corrected.
I haven't pulled the crossover PCB yet but I can see the general layout in other posts.
Question: Is there a schematic for those crossovers please? - or a BOM - P/N and spec for those caps? Something NP and special I am quite sure.
I can handle the replacement comfortably -- have a full lab here. I used to wind crossovers for Celestion over in the UK the late 70s / early 80s btw.
Any advice appreciated - I don't want to ruin all your design work!
Thanks
J Connell, Seattle, WA
Answers
-
This content has been removed.
-
Nope, basic components.Something NP and special I am quite sure.
These are poor photos (not mine) of the Monitor 60, which I'm sure is extremely similar to your model.

-
Thanks for this. Weird there is no schematic - right? This seems to be one of the more common Polk monitors - they show up in Ebay all the time. Polk must have sold a few.
Yup, I will pull it apart and check everything. Thanks again
