Separates for LSI7 PC speakers

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
edited July 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
alright... the LSI7 are officially here and are on their way to staying as the speaker of choice for my computer... a few more days of testing against the Axioms M22s to make sure I am making the right decision.

so, in the process of deciding - i want to maybe entertain the possibility of jumping into the audio world of separates (pre/pro and an amp).... i am more interested in having the front two speakers amped by a separate amp for 2-Channel listening.

i dont really care for the rears being externally amped at the moment - remember, i am a college student and i can easily be broke!! :D

so i was thinking - going with a receiver for pre/pro (preferably with 6ch inputs for analog outputs from the sound blaster audigy2zs soundcard on my computer) maybe by yamaha ... AND a separate amp for the fronts...

I dont want to spend more than i have to... so lets see some affordable tips guys.. nothing overly extravagant now!! as cheap as possible i guess.... :(

HOW does this all work??? I am completely in NEW TERRITORY! help a fellow polkie to be! :)
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
Post edited by Joey_V on

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited July 2004
    With a computer I'm not sure if you need a preprocessor. Especially since you're going to use analog outputs. If you're going with a prepro, I would use digital output as I'm sure the prepro does a better job than the sound card.

Get a good 2 channel amp for the LSi7's and cheap 5 channel for the surrounds, connect them to the sound card. Wouldn't that do the job?
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2004
    i can see this can get awfully complicated.... i just want to add a separate amp for the main for 2 channel listening.

i want to connect all the speakers as well to a receiver so i can do movies as well.

i was thinking - soundcard (analog and digital) to receiver (used as pre/pro) and then the mains to an external amp.... thats all... is this even feasible??

i dont even know how the preouts on a receiver work... i mean, is there a preout for ever speaker channel?

or is it just one preout per receiver?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited July 2004
    I'm just saying that if you're using a computer sound card and its analog outputs, you could just rout it to an amp. No prepro required. I haven't done this myself so it might not work but I don't see why it wouldn't.

If you're using a prepro or receiver, then use digital output.
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2004
    sami,

thanks for your quick replies! hmm.. that is interesting.. I will have to check at my local audio store and see what they say about it. As you can see, I know nothing about separates! :D
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2004
    HK AVR230 receiver for pre/pro

Crown XLS-402A for 2-channel amp (400w rms @ 4 ohms)

Can get both shipped for under $550 combined BRAND NEW. You can't do better than this, trust me.

EDITED! I meant to type the HK AVR230, not the 225. Sorry!
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2004
    wow... now to find those components... any other suggestions?
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2004
    oops... double post! :D