Looking for a new HT processor that excels with music too

DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,498
Yeah, I know, those two things are usually mutually exclusive. None the less, my main rig is dual purpose. I've been using a circa 2012 Pioneer sc1523 combined with a few different preamps with HT bypass. It's been OK, but the pioneer is getting long in the tooth, and frankly I'd like to simplify things. Only interested in processors. The pioneer's amps haven't played one note since day one. Zone 2 abilities would be a bonus, but have other means for that if needed. Would like to go new. Used is okay if a current model. I've read good things about Anthem. Budget is 4k ish.

Fire away, and thanks!

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,472
    The Anthem AVM70 8K should tick the boxes for you at $4K new. I have a Marantz AV8805A but that is a bit more expensive. I am happy with that in direct mode. I would not consider the Marantz 7706 model to be equal to either of those for music but is excellent for home theater.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,557
    One with ht bypass so you can add a 2 channel preamp 😁
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DaveHo
    @VR3 , noooooooo! Besides, that's the preamps job, not the HT processor.
  • DaveHo
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The Anthem AVM70 8K should tick the boxes for you at $4K new. I have a Marantz AV8805A but that is a bit more expensive. I am happy with that in direct mode. I would not consider the Marantz 7706 model to be equal to either of those for music but is excellent for home theater.

That's the direction I'm leaning.
  • DaveHo
    @Emlyn , AC4L has the Marantz for $2400 refurbished. I'm down with refurbished gear. Have bought many over the years, no issues. I realize you may not have heard both. What do you think gives the Marantz a leg upon the Anthem AVM70?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,472
    I might have have got the Anthem if they had been available when I was looking for a new processor. Pandemic supply shortages prevented that.
  • DaveHo
    Just noticed the AC4L is the 8805, not the 8805A. Time to investigate.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,372
    Arcam AV41 is cream of the crop…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson