How has Club Polk ruined you?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
So, an old cow irker was talking about a new vinyl rig he assembled to bring home from his latest employment foray to Japan. He asked what everyone else back home has for their rigs.

The usual Technics and various levels of Kabuki speakers with all kinds of different amplification was offered up for discussion.

I chime in with my vinyl rig setup

Micro Seiki DD35
Peachtree Nova
AudioART phono pre (highly underrated pre)
Totem Acoustic "Rainmaker" bookies

His response "I have never heard of any of that"

Next response from another former cow irker made a slam about me being one of them "audiophiles" they've heard about.

I've run the LSiM 703s in that rig as well as the Signature Series demo and the Nova doesn't like heavy loads like them. BUT, Phil and Lou hooked the LSiM 703s up to Phil's d class amps on that rig and they shined like diamonds using the Peachtree as a pre-amp.

Anyway, I tried to identify with peers and Club Polk made me seem like an audio snob elitist.

So how has Club Polk ruined you?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,569
    Nope. It's just you. You audiophile snob you!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,449
    I never gave cables a second thought before I started participating here…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,139
    edited September 9
    I can't say Club Polk has ruined me—just the opposite.

It's enlightened me about where I fall in the "Audio Merchandise" purchasing scale.

My budget and now my ears age are doing just fine by me. I've been lucky to own what I do and to have a place to listen to it in many ways.

This Club has helped me fix some Polk speakers along the way. ;)B)

I now have an MTM set of my neighbor's homemade speakers ( I own them now) I'm about to post about. The cross-overs were/are a MESS and quite complicated for my elementary knowledge. I'll post pics of the messy problems very soon. :#

I need help understanding these parts. ;) they did sound very good but one speaker was cutting off and on and when I saw the wiring, I KNEW WHY. :s

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,374
    I was happy with Monitor 50’s and a Yamaha receiver when I came here…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • The forum helped me realize that gear acquisition syndrome is real and that I could be an addict if I allowed myself. The wife never heard a difference or cared enough to learn how to listen critically and thus never shared my passion of having that never ending improvement in system synergy. I have since shaken the monster and stayed with my same gear for coming up on a decade now. The decade of the 2000s was an expensive time for me and tested the tensile strength of my wife's patience with new gear showing up unannounced.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • It's made me lazier than I thought possible.
    I can just sit back in the LazyBoy and soak up all the hard won information and insights that you peoples have gathered over many years and I don't have to expend any of my moneys or energies of my own
    A Win-Win I'd say 🤗

.....okay maybe you don't win, but that's okay. I'm not responsibe . 👍🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    Hasn't ruined me one bit, but educated me!! It did ruin my wallet for other hobbies but now that I have stopped the search for newer gear (although I will eventually get a second sub and only because I want the front stage to look the same) I have more money to through at bikes and bike parts. (oh and kids competitive activities)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,121
    For me it completely ruined my cd, vinyl and fm radio playback since I bought a streamer here on the Polk marketplace last year.
    On the plus side those annoying commercials on fm radio have become a distant memory, stylus wear is a thing of the past and who knows if my cd player is still functional.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    I went from modding automotive to audio. Met some good people here and still learning along the way.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,030
    I thought my SDA 2Bs sounded good before I read here about updating them. That was the start of the small rabbit hole for me, no regrets though.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    I was happy with Monitor 50’s and a Yamaha receiver when I came here…

Very similar...I was happy with a 5.1 of Monitor 30s, CS1, R150 surrounds with a PSW10 and a very basic Denon receiver...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    edited September 9
    I started out owning Cabasse and a NAD stereo integrated before Polk.

Polk forum hasn’t really ruined me. I mostly bought second hand bargains thanks to the information gleaned from the threads herein, but also some brand new Polks that I still use.

I’m ready for some new gear now, but if there’s one thing I have retained, it’s that:
    1. Only my own ears can tell me what I like. Not reviews or the opinions of others. So I’ll hold off on my next major purchases until I’ve heard them for myself.
    2. Synergy can be difficult. So again, I’ll hold off on my next major purchase until I can check out my choices of gear and speakers together.

I’ve tried Denon and harman/kardon thanks to recommendations here and over on AVS Forum, but I’ve mostly stuck with NAD for amplification, after a short lived foray into Emotiva gear.

My best setup, other than Cabasse, has been an amazing 5.0 setup with RT55 mains and rears, and a CS400 center. I did have a subwoofer too, ending with a Rythmik that I still have and still hate.

I bought a JoLida hybrid here on the forum for two channel that was (is) absolutely fabulous at just 30W/ch. I later added a JoLida CD player, also form here, that has sat in a box in storage ever since, sadly.

Also a Dodd Elp pre bought here that @george daniel himself recommended, having been fully serviced by Dodd. That too is in storage. A couple of other members tried it out while it was on its way to me (they only had to pay the shipping costs to each other, and then to me. I paid the original shipping to the first recipient).

A couple of SACD players from Oppo and Pioneer are also now in storage.

Lots of cables from Signal Cable and our own @ben62670 (if I got that right). All of them in storage.

Finally, a rather interesting pair of Mark & Daniel monitors, bought from the reviewer who used to contribute here, featuring ribbon tweeters and high excursion drivers. I found them really quite excellent for their diminutive size, and while the brand seems to survive today, they’re not very active. Those too, are gathering dust in their original boxes.

So yeah, other than a bunch of stuff in storage, that includes a pair of never used LSiM 705, I haven’t done too badly.
    Alea jacta est!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,700
    @Jstas
    I wouldn't say anything in your system makes you a snob elite. Relative to some of the systems Ive seen discussed around here (or at other more uppity forums that call out "the Best"), it is quite modest.
    I think your former cow irkers just think that if they buy it new, and it was expensive, then it must be great. Ignorance is bliss for those who don't take the time to understand value and synergy.
    This forum hasn't ruined me. If anything, it has saved me tons of money by narrowing focus and gleaning from years of experienced that other members have shared.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    edited September 9
    It hasn't ruined me, but cost me money spent on my system which I'm not complaining about.
    Thanks to people here and info provided I do have a better system which I enjoy more, although my hearing is getting worst as I get older. Because of that it makes me not want to not spend more money on my system as music doesn't sound as good to me as 1-2 years ago and I don't enjoy it as much as I use to listening to music. The joy of getting old.
    That's why I don't visit the forum as much as I use to. I don't plan on not dropping by, just not as much as in the past.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    It made me meet Russ. After that, I was definitely ruined.....and my bushes too.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,138
    edited September 9
    My starting point was a Sony receiver, and CD player, with a pair of CV speakers.

Looking back on the amount of money I've spent since joining this happy brood, I could have bought a 'few' nice cars for what I've spent on audio gear. But, once you hear true hi-fi, and the old adage occurs of, 'I never noticed that before', in playback, it is hard to turn back.
    Post edited by jdjohn on
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    lightman1 wrote: »
    It made me move to Iowa and get married. Y'all suck

Look on the bright side. You didn't wake up from a Polk gathering married.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,374
    edited September 10
    xschop wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    It made me move to Iowa and get married. Y'all suck

Look on the bright side. You didn't wake up from a Polk gathering married.

Lightman has a thing for skinny jeans and Polkfarmboy was all to giddy to accommodate his fetish. 🥹🥹🤣
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,182
    Ruined? No, but actually met a lot of cool people in here in person , made some killer trades over the decades. Enriched many peoples systems , love the passion many in here have, some need a smack every once in a while but I'm not the one who needs to do the smacking.

Cables? Yeah been down that road to many times and I'm over it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,672
    Speaking of trades... and karmas and outright gifts -- far too many people here have been far too kind to me over the years!
    The generosity (of numerous kinds) of folks on this forums cannot be under-emphasized, and I am deeply appreciative of it.
    :blush:
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    It's turned me into an audio snob, that's what my gf calls me anyway. I personally don't think it's a bad thing B)

But hey....since I quit racing, I needed something else to obsess over....I've come to the right place lol
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman