Monitor 10 tweeter replacement.

2»

Comments

• Bleiz
    Bleiz Posts: 46
    edited June 24
    @ F1nut I trust you guys in this eminent forum and will follow the advice given here just interesting to see and hear of such different opinions! :-)
    magictimbres.se
    living room listening:
    Thoréns TD318 MKII w. Sumiko Olympia
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
    control room listening:
    Snell type JII
    studio room listening:
    Heco Mythos 500
    Polk Monitor 10 B
  • Bleiz
    [/quote]
    Even though the speakers have been unused for years the original electrolytic caps will have degraded not to mention they and the mylar were crap to start with. I highly recommend upgrading the crossover components regardless. With the RD0194-1 tweeters you would upgrade the component values like for like with film caps and non-inductive resistors such as Vishay-Mills. [/quote]

Regarding the resistors you mention here what about Metal oxide resistors MOX as some claim sound really really good vs the ceramic and other ones?!

magictimbres.se
    living room listening:
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
    control room listening:
    Snell type JII
    studio room listening:
    Heco Mythos 500
    Polk Monitor 10 B
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    Bleiz wrote: »
    Even though the speakers have been unused for years the original electrolytic caps will have degraded not to mention they and the mylar were crap to start with. I highly recommend upgrading the crossover components regardless. With the RD0194-1 tweeters you would upgrade the component values like for like with film caps and non-inductive resistors such as Vishay-Mills. [/quote]

Regarding the resistors you mention here what about Metal oxide resistors MOX as some claim sound really really good vs the ceramic and other ones?!

[/quote]

All you can do is listen to people who have actually subjectively compared some of the different types. I think very few people on this forum and other forums actually have done that. @VR3 is one of them that comes to mind. Danny Richie is another one but not a forum member.

There is lots of theory out there regarding thermal noise and self inductance, but it comes down to not really having a good ability to measure those things with respect to how the human ear interprets them, and even if you can, there will be many who say pffft...that's too small to have any detectable effect blah blah blah.

So that puts you back at listening to people's subjective opinions.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    Mox resistors are brighter but not harsh, I like them

The Jantzen superes is the best for the money
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Bleiz
    Got me a functional LS2000 tweeter today by post delivery bought used for 15 € here in Sweden so now I have finally listened to a working stereo pair of these Monitor 10's, even though the treble is a bit muffled I experience a far greater soundstage as compared to the HECO Mythos 500 standing underneath even if those sound more crisp and obviously different but have now ordered caps + resistors for the x-overs for the Polks and expect to hear a hopefully better resolution, will try one first vs the other w. old x-over for judgement next week :-)
    magictimbres.se
    living room listening:
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
    control room listening:
    Snell type JII
    studio room listening:
    Heco Mythos 500
    Polk Monitor 10 B
  • Bleiz
    Any tips of how to separate the x-over board from the rest to get access to soldering in new parts?
    magictimbres.se
    living room listening:
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
    control room listening:
    Snell type JII
    studio room listening:
    Heco Mythos 500
    Polk Monitor 10 B
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,439
    edited July 2
    You have pinch the two tabs on the plastic standoffs together with needlenose pliers and carefully lift the board up slightly as you do each standoff.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bleiz
    F1nut wrote: »
    You have pinch the two tabs on the plastic standoffs together with needlenose pliers and carefully lift the board up slightly as you do each standoff.

No F1nut there was just the 2 screws to release the board in my case (see original photo), anyway new caps + resistors in one speaker now, just did an AB listening test and while not an astronomical difference the shimmering highs on vocals + cymbals and the fully opened sizzle of snare drum + grandpiano high notes were obviously a bit clearer than in the untreated speaker, very nice indeed!

Bought caps (monacor + audaphon) + mox resistors from lautsprechershop.de as I live in Europe it was a better and cheaper alternative total 38 €.

t3dp6twpg626.jpg
    q0vs13x15ugl.jpg
    2dgz0qgiba1t.jpg

magictimbres.se
    living room listening:
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
    control room listening:
    Snell type JII
    studio room listening:
    Heco Mythos 500
    Polk Monitor 10 B
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Nice job. The RD0's will make those SL-2000's sound overbearing.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,349
    edited July 3
    Personally I would have made a mechanical connection with those extended leeds before you soldered them. I see many cold solder joint possibilities in your future. Help me understand the 10uf bypassed with the 1.8uf? Why didn't you use a 12uf there ?

Cutting the driver wire has me perplexed as well, with sl200 tweeters they had faston connection to the drivers.
  • Bleiz
    @ pitdogg2 thanks for your concern but no cold soldering points here, been doing this since the age of 12 (now 60) and to answer your 2 questions:

1-because there were no 12 uf available...
    2-the cut driver wires were only out of laziness, didn't bother to remove the speakers and they're now resoldered and isolated...

End of your perplexion?
    ;-)
    magictimbres.se
    living room listening:
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
    control room listening:
    Snell type JII
    studio room listening:
    Heco Mythos 500
    Polk Monitor 10 B
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,439
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bleiz
    Hello it's been a while and I'm now trying to find either the RD0194-1 or similar instead of the SL2000's which I agree to have an earfatiguing treblepresence even at moderate listening level.

As I'm based in Sweden - Europe, import + customs fees for the RD0194's amount to adding half the price for these which is ridiculous so how about the Monacor DT-100 or SS KO10DT or others for that matter in your experience?
    magictimbres.se
    living room listening:
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
    control room listening:
    Snell type JII
    studio room listening:
    Heco Mythos 500
    Polk Monitor 10 B
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    Not compatible in your speakers as previously mentioned. You would spend far more money than having the RD0194-1 pair shipped to you, to make all the changes you would need to do to use those tweeters.

I don't know of anyone who has had experience with those tweeters but I think it's beside the point in your case.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,349
    edited October 23
    @SeleniumFalcon, hey man do we have an authorized Polk place that @Bleiz can reach out to over there to buy some RD-0194's?