Has anyone tried two pairs of front speakers? Does it produce a fuller sound stage?

blueskies
blueskies Posts: 33
Anyone tried it?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933
    It sounds good, but not as good as four pairs of fronts.
  • blueskies
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It sounds good, but not as good as four pairs of fronts.

pics?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,931
    He's joking. You might experience a bigger sound but at the expense of lobing.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,538
    16 for the win

Two high quality speakers trumps anything additional
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,415
    One pair of speakers stacked on another pair of speakers stacked a pair of subs is da bomb.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 781
    Stacks on stacks on stacks.lol
    2ch rig: Speakers: Magnepan LRS w/Magna Riser stands Preamplifier: Parasound P5 Amplifier: Parasound A23 CDP: Pioneer DV-563A Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)

Standby: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress mods
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,369
    edited May 16
    Why stop there… just build a wall of sound, and crank it to 11.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,569
    Back in the very early days, Harry Pearson (HP) had good things to say about double Advent speakers.
  • treitz3
    Why stop there… just build a wall of sound, and crank it to 11.

BITD, we tried something like that with 3 sets of speakers. This was the last day of one of the very early Carverfest's . We took a pair of ALIII's, a pair of Platinum's and a pair of Amazing's and put them all on one system.

ihankgk1n63u.png

We always did crazy stuff up on the mountain, just for fun. We called this one, "The Wall of Sound". It sounded like crap but it was definitely an experience. It reminded me of being at a concert. I believe it was the next year, we took 2 sets of 1.2TL's and stacked one pair up on top of the other, then went to listen to it up on the 2nd story loft. I can't seem to find a photo of that one, as the forum it was originally posted on has since closed up shop.

One of the funniest things we did was fool people with a pair of Apogees. We disabled the ribbon portion of the speaker and placed a pair of bookies (I believe that they were DCM Time Windows) in their place, but placed behind the grill cloth and on top of the woofer assembly of the Apogee's. We locked the front sliding door, so people couldn't really see what we had done. When they came in, we sat them down and asked them how they liked the Apogee's.

I think it took about 4 or 5 hours of listening like this before someone figured out what we had done. 😀 Good times! (It actually didn't sound that bad)

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,310
    I couldn't fathom the load those put on what ever amp you used..... BUT I'm sure it was low :smiley:
  • treitz3
    I believe that was Gary's (@TNRabbit....RIP, buddy) Sunfire 600x7 amp. The rest of the system was cobbled together from all of the attendees of the event.

Yes, the load was very demanding. That said, it did handle it without breaking a sweat.

Tom
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,114
    Stacked fronts? I've had a few. Here's a Mcintosh ml1c sitting atop a Bozak Concert Grand. Sadly or maybe just as well I can't find the pic of my old 2.3s sitting atop a pair klh 12's.
    crg6152qzrd9.png
  • blueskies
    I'm basically looking to put two lsi15's on each side of the tv.
  • VR3
    It's probably fine as long as you don't critically listen
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    I believe the Lsi15 is 4 ohm nominal so I would run them in series
  • blueskies
    VR3 wrote: »
    I believe the Lsi15 is 4 ohm nominal so I would run them in series

what does running them in series mean?
  • VR3
    nfpeovc1nulp.jpg
  • VR3
    If you run parallel it will be 2 ohm nominal and not many amps can pull that off
  • Clipdat
    Here's a better idea, don't do it at all.
  • VR3
    I mean sure but atleast this way he won't blow anything up haha
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,469
    edited May 16
    Yamaha receivers used to have a setting for "width" speakers up front, before height speakers became a thing, but those weren't intended to be full range.

They may still have that option in new models but I haven't kept track of them for a while. I understand Dolby Atmos processing also has settings for front width satellite speakers but again they don't need to be full range and the processor handles setup to minimize audible interference.

I'd much rather use the extra space up front for dual subwoofers. Seems to me that having two sets of main speakers up front would mainly be correcting for a single set of main speakers not performing very well to begin with. Stereo speakers should produce a good impression of width if they're properly set up.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,585
    Stacked fronts? I've had a few. Here's a Mcintosh ml1c sitting atop a Bozak Concert Grand. Sadly or maybe just as well I can't find the pic of my old 2.3s sitting atop a pair klh 12's.
    crg6152qzrd9.png

Those look massive. Beautiful speakers
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,415
    blueskies wrote: »
    I'm basically looking to put two lsi15's on each side of the tv.

No, just NO!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    You might like it at first but mark my words. The initial romance period will not last long and you will not like the sound after a while.

Comb filtering and acoustical lobing will make the sound almost unbearable in the long term.

Imaging will be non-existent and smearing of images will be really exagerrated. Even spatial locationality cues will shift, when they are not supposed too.

This is just the plain, honest truth of what you will eventually learn, if you do this.

Tom
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,072
    bi anp and subs on sub freq out. way better sound and stability.
    Too much **** to list....
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,358
    edited May 16
    Some people used to stack apogee speakers
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,641
    OK.
    ahem.
    maxward wrote: »
    Back in the very early days, Harry Pearson (HP) had good things to say about double Advent speakers.
    Yes, yes he did.
    114be5gxygyp.jpg
    rl2cdc2w46ag.jpg
    In the 1970s, it was kind of a thing.
    The OLAs were/are, at least IMO, deeply flawed loudspeakers.
    So there's that.
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    Stacks on stacks on stacks.lol
    Sounds like turtles. Turtles all the way down. B)
    h2u5iwdly122.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down
    F1nut wrote: »
    One pair of speakers stacked on another pair of speakers stacked a pair of subs is da bomb.
    Indeed.
    Go big or go home.
    7y46gejlb8gx.jpg
    Stacked Ohm Walsh F. Sort of like MBLs, but more likely to do major damage when they topple. Cheaper, though. :#
    lqmtzcqhfscx.png
    Mark Levinson's HQD loudspeakers. Looks like two stacked pairs of Quad ESL-57s? Bingo.
    B)

Oh, where were we?
    "Two pairs of front loudspeakers...?"
    Two words, Benjamin.
    Just.
    Don't.

Any Questions?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,369
    7py8brbdlk16.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson