Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer Elite

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello everyone,
As maybe you seen my Sony ES AVR up for sale, I'm looking to try out one of these new Beasts that hit the market recently. On a fair note, the Sony is stupid good and why I selected it over everything offered when I got it. The amp section alone in it is awesome.

BUT I like to switch things up and when Onkyo/Integra and Pioneer Elite released their flagship models, I just want to figure out which one to go with and try it out. Maybe I'll regret it and want my Sony back, who knows but they all look pretty damn badass. Sure they cost a bit more then the Sony does but I'm willing to give it a go,

My only issue as always is which one to go with. From the Onkyo to the Pioneer to the Integra , they all can make a case to come home with me. The RZ70 is all the goodness of the RZ50 which I would absolutely own all day, it's stupid how good that AVR is especially at it's asking price, with a more powerful amp inside. Do I need it? NOPE, my Sony is already more powerful then I need, this is a pure curiosity move.

What do you guys think of the 3 new Flagship AVR's?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    when I researched my RZ50 I looked at the Pioneer 505. Crossover is a all or none plus some reviews said the power supply sucked.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mantis
    Options
    The RZ50 is a Gem in our industry.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    when I researched my RZ50 I looked at the Pioneer 505. Crossover is a all or none plus some reviews said the power supply sucked.

I haven't seen a review on the Pioneer Elite VSX LX505 that stated the power supply sucked. What's funny about that statement from whoever the reviewers was would also have to say the power supply sucks in the RZ50 as they have amazingly similar power supplies. No on never said anything about the RZ's power supply. I'm curious about this now.
    Dan
  • mrloren
    Options
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/pioneer-vsx-lx505-avr-review.40731/
    But fails on multiple fronts in amplification. No way should an AVR amplifier have any kind of timer to reduce power.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mantis
    Options
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/pioneer-vsx-lx505-avr-review.40731/
    But fails on multiple fronts in amplification. No way should an AVR amplifier have any kind of timer to reduce power.

I'm gonna read that article. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited March 24
    Options
    "Receivers" have always been compromises -- since harman/kardon, practically speaking, commercialized the first (mono) all-in-one receiver in the secondEDIT first half of the 1950s.
    roexyqfhkkz4.jpg
    Unfortunately, loads of compromise when everything is stuffed into one small (relatively speaking) box. :( It's unavoidable, irrespective of cost, although SMPS and Class D (PWM) amplification is helpful. Again, though, improvement on one front at the expense of another.
    Plus, so much to go wrong in one box. :(
    Receivers seem like such a poor investment if one's serious about -- whatever it is that the receiver does. Multichannel audio, I guess, nowadays.

• mrloren
    Options
    mantis wrote: »

I'm gonna read that article. Thanks for sharing.

there were a few I ran across. One said reason the Pioneer is 2.2lb lighter is they used a lesser power supply.

The Pioneer is going for about $850 on Amazon right now. Power supply in question and a all or none crossover made the Pioneer a no for me.