Upgrade? Or hold?

Options
lackboost
lackboost Posts: 49
Had had a chance to try a few different speakers of late. Went from by beloved, "I'll never get rid of them" LSi9s, to a pair of NHT VT-2 towers which I was impressed with, to landing a a great deal for an LSiM 703/704c front stage. I am happy, but we all know how this game goes! The NHTs (and some old HSUs I ran for a while) taught me passive subs can be great. Along with that, during my NHT phase I was lusting for the T5 towers (M5/B5 combo) and figured the passive B5 subs as LFE with the M5s up top would be a great combo. Well, a seemingly clean set has come up for sale and I am super tempted! I can likely sell the LSiM front stage for a decent amount - they are a little rough externally but work perfectly. Not to mention, if the NHTs subs do what I think they can, I can sell my SVS PB-1000 pair as well so I would actually net $ in the end. I am quite pleased with the LSiM set - they are a big jump from the LSi9s. But these NHTs are just calling out.

As anyone heard both? Asking the hive mind, what would you do?

TIA
5.2 Main: X3500h, BDP-103, UBP-X800, M70-C3, XPA-3, XPA-2, NHT VT-2, VS-2, Super Zero Xu, PB-1000 x 2

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Timbre....keep it matched for optimal sound.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,875
    Options
    Don't lock yourself into just listening to one brand.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited March 7
    Options
    If you wanna step it up a notch. I have a pair of MINT NHT T6's with rebuilt NHT mono block amps and controller I'd like to sell. No shipping though. Close to Georgia by chance?

I have the VT-2 and the VT-3's. THe VT-3's trounce the 2's in every way. And the T6's are even better.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Would love to hear the t6
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    lackboost wrote: »
    Had had a chance to try a few different speakers of late. Went from by beloved, "I'll never get rid of them" LSi9s, to a pair of NHT VT-2 towers which I was impressed with, to landing a a great deal for an LSiM 703/704c front stage. I am happy, but we all know how this game goes! The NHTs (and some old HSUs I ran for a while) taught me passive subs can be great. Along with that, during my NHT phase I was lusting for the T5 towers (M5/B5 combo) and figured the passive B5 subs as LFE with the M5s up top would be a great combo. Well, a seemingly clean set has come up for sale and I am super tempted! I can likely sell the LSiM front stage for a decent amount - they are a little rough externally but work perfectly. Not to mention, if the NHTs subs do what I think they can, I can sell my SVS PB-1000 pair as well so I would actually net $ in the end. I am quite pleased with the LSiM set - they are a big jump from the LSi9s. But these NHTs are just calling out.

TIA

Stereophile measurements show that those subs don't dig very deep. I would still want sub that gives me full range (2hz or below), but that's just me!

I also would love to hear the T6!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • lackboost
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    If you wanna step it up a notch. I have a pair of MINT NHT T6's with rebuilt NHT mono block amps and controller I'd like to sell. No shipping though. Close to Georgia by chance?

I have the VT-2 and the VT-3's. THe VT-3's trounce the 2's in every way. And the T6's are even better.

Sorry, not at all close to GA, but thanks!
    5.2 Main: X3500h, BDP-103, UBP-X800, M70-C3, XPA-3, XPA-2, NHT VT-2, VS-2, Super Zero Xu, PB-1000 x 2
  • lackboost
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

TIA

Stereophile measurements show that those subs don't dig very deep. I would still want sub that gives me full range (2hz or below), but that's just me!

I could not find a Stereophile review of the T5 (M5/B5). Manual shows mid 20s response - i hope thats possible without the X1 (I have a DSP-2496 in strorage if they need a little extra contouring + REW/UMIK)? My main concern is music. I love low end on HT, but I have neighbors so I rarely really crank movies and such unless i know theyre gone for the weekend - otherwise I do keep my subs in check for HT. Worst case, I use the M5s in conjunction with the SVS subs, and sell off or use the B5 subs as passive for another small bedroom system or use the drivers in other enclosures - I feel like for the price just getting the 3 x M5s is worth it. I would sell the Polks if the NHTs are worthwhile, but the Polks are an easier sell (IMO) than the T5s. If I end up not liking them, I may have to take a hit on them, and storage room is not really available to hold them for too long. BTW power would be from either XPA-2 or XPA-3. Since the B5s are 12ohm, might use the XPA-2, and run the front stage (3 x M5s) off the XPA-3 - surround and top middle off receiver.

Anyhow, I confirmed they are available so kinda waffling right now. Seller discounted a
    little extra so it's really quite enticing...
  • lackboost
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Don't lock yourself into just listening to one brand.

I hear ya on that! Heard so many good things about the JBL Studio 5XX line. That is another direction I thought I might go. Seems like there are good deals on Ascend Acoustics stuff that seems to have a loyal following as well. And if a windfall came my way...would love to try some Tekton Pendragons or even Double Impacts!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    edited March 8
    Options

TIA

I could not find a Stereophile review of the T5 (M5/B5). Manual shows mid 20s response - i hope thats possible without the X1 (I have a DSP-2496 in strorage if they need a little extra contouring + REW/UMIK)? My main concern is music. I love low end on HT, but I have neighbors so I rarely really crank movies and such unless i know theyre gone for the weekend - otherwise I do keep my subs in check for HT. Worst case, I use the M5s in conjunction with the SVS subs, and sell off or use the B5 subs as passive for another small bedroom system or use the drivers in other enclosures - I feel like for the price just getting the 3 x M5s is worth it. I would sell the Polks if the NHTs are worthwhile, but the Polks are an easier sell (IMO) than the T5s. If I end up not liking them, I may have to take a hit on them, and storage room is not really available to hold them for too long. BTW power would be from either XPA-2 or XPA-3. Since the B5s are 12ohm, might use the XPA-2, and run the front stage (3 x M5s) off the XPA-3 - surround and top middle off receiver.

Anyhow, I confirmed they are available so kinda waffling right now. Seller discounted a

T6 review - only goes down to about 30 hz, which you might be perfectly happy with.

Here is the quote: "The B6 subwoofer's impedance plot is shown in fig.9. Its sealed-box alignment results in a big impedance peak at 53Hz, which without equalization would imply a –6dB point at the same frequency (footnote 1); ie, not much in the way of bass extension. However, the slow, 12dB/octave rolloff below resonance of a sealed-box system means that only a modest EQ boost is required to flatten and extend the bass response. Fig.10 shows the B6's nearfield response without the X1 (black trace) and with it, set to its various low-pass frequencies (colored traces). The EQ seen in fig.8 results in a 12dB boost at 32Hz, which flattens the B6's output down to that frequency, with a steep 36dB/octave rolloff below 30Hz"

https://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-evolution-t6-loudspeaker-system-amplifiersubwoofer-measurements
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • lackboost
    Options

TIA

T6 review - only goes down to about 30 hz, which you might be perfectly happy with.

Here is the quote: "The B6 subwoofer's impedance plot is shown in fig.9. Its sealed-box alignment results in a big impedance peak at 53Hz, which without equalization would imply a –6dB point at the same frequency (footnote 1); ie, not much in the way of bass extension. However, the slow, 12dB/octave rolloff below resonance of a sealed-box system means that only a modest EQ boost is required to flatten and extend the bass response. Fig.10 shows the B6's nearfield response without the X1 (black trace) and with it, set to its various low-pass frequencies (colored traces). The EQ seen in fig.8 results in a 12dB boost at 32Hz, which flattens the B6's output down to that frequency, with a steep 36dB/octave rolloff below 30Hz"

https://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-evolution-t6-loudspeaker-system-amplifiersubwoofer-measurements

That could be worrisome, considering the B6 has 2 x 12" drivers and the B5 only one. Two points of note however that make me think the B5s would be adequate:

1. In the Stereophile T6 review (thanks!), the author points out that they did, later, attempt to use the system without the X1 or A1 using their own amplifiers to gain improved overall performance from the system including enhanced bass performance. Though not the T5 system, perhaps this characteristic bodes well for my planned usage. The X1/A1 seem to be a choke point?

2. Reading further on the Evolution line, in general, it would seem that the B5 is the same or similar (the user noted exactly the same - cannot be sure) as the W2 subwoofer which measured nearly flat from 26 to 180Hz with an F3 of 21Hz. Those numbers seem coincide with the T5 published specs from NHT which show it as a 26 - 20k Hz system.

For the asking price ($400.00) the juice seems worth the squeeze! And if it works, between the sale of the Polks and the SVS subs, I would have more than enough to cover the costs of making this move.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    edited March 8
    Options
    I had the T5/B5 combo and drove them with a Citation 7.1 4-channel amp. For HT, I liked the sound and both were solid performers.

I think the passive subs are fine, but since they also act as the stands for the T5s, you have to position them according to where the the T5s need to be vice where you might want the subs positioned. Given the room correction which every HT receiver/preamp seems to have, I would lean towards putting my sub(s) in a corner for maximum output and let the room correction eliminate the nodes. You're not going to be able to do that with the NHTs.

The other thing to consider is the availability of spare drivers. I think Polk will be easier to source than the mcuh older NHTs.

I haven't heard the LSiMs, so I can't tell you if the T5s are better, but my gut would say that the best case here is that the NHTs are a lateral move. Personally, I would opt to stay with the Polk/SVS combo because the money you'll make won't be worth the hassle.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts