New (to me) SVS SB4000…

Options
The recent flood that took out my HT ( details in this thread https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199846/going-from-7-1-surround-to-9-1-help#latest ) seems to have taken out my beloved Velodyne DD18. While I explore repairs on it, I snagged a backup - a seemingly mint SVS SB4000 on the local classifieds for $750. This is my first hands-on experience with the brand, and I must say that at 112lbs, the unit is indeed stout.

I do have one concern already - the metal grill. The look of it may grow on me, but I worry about acoustic artifacts from it. Anyone with experience with SVS - does the metal grill “ring” or make any other unwanted sounds? Also, how’s the app for controlling the sub?

Looking forward to giving this thing a try…

jqow6u77itou.jpeg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Congrats on your new sub. I have the sb16 ultra and I had the same thoughts about the grille originally. I don't notice any change with it on or off so I leave it on.
    The app works very well for setting up the sub. In my case it took some playing around for the first few months to dial it in. Now the only time I change the settings is the rare time I switch from digital to vinyl. SVS makes a great sub and no doubt you'll be pleased.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    edited February 26
    Options
    Thanks @motorstereo for the input - I sincerely appreciate it!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    I love the metal grill vs the new fabric one. They have saved me from the little probing fingers of the rugrat grandson and the curious armed pads of his feline companions. As mentioned I can't hear the difference between then on or off so they stay on.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Metal works better for bass since it doesn't flap in the wind so to speak
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Galx29
    Galx29 Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats! Nice choice ..