7C Beef Up help

Options
Hi all

Very new here, but have lurked for some time. I just came into a set of Monitor 7Cs, and plan on getting the tweeters swapped. That said, I’d really like to have the crossovers kitted out, with proper sonicaps and such. Being solder-hesitant (to put it mildly…I don’t want to jack these things up), I’m wondering if the collective group conscience could direct me toward a trusted tech in MN or thereabouts. I checked with Midwest Speaker, and while they’d do the work, they use Solens caps and weren’t too keen on deviating from that.

Optimally, I’d like to do the xovers, and any other refurbish work while they’re opened up. I’m powering them with a Yamaha CA 610 II. Thanks much!
x69m440l4gdu.jpeg
5v8n410g5fdo.jpeg
780wbw560kb6.jpeg
99bfuc3e1mfa.jpeg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    One of the guys here that did crossover work has retired.

You definitely do not want Solen caps in them. Do you have any electronics/audio repair shops around you other than Midwest?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Hopefully you're not swapping in another set of SL1000's.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • inanortherntown
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

Nope. Plan would be to swap for RDO 194
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    RD0(zero)194-1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    edited February 23
    Options

You can do that, the hole is different between the two. The SL1000 hole is oval and smaller. The hole will need to relieved both sides to allow the RD-0194 tabs to not be pushed into the magnet. The screw holes are just slightly off, enough to mess with the new faceplate. Best to probably use hurricane nuts, might also fill the old screw holes with epoxy first. Others with more experience might have a better option.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    Isn’t it RD-0194?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Isn’t it RD-0194?

Yep, fixed it
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You can do that, the hole is different between the two. The SL1000 hole is oval and smaller. The hole will need to relieved both sides to allow the RD-0194 tabs to not be pushed into the magnet. The screw holes are just slightly off, enough to mess with the new faceplate. Best to probably use hurricane nuts, might also fill the old screw holes with epoxy first. Others with more experience might have a better option.

You can adapt the RD0 housing to the SL1000 plate also. Just need to drill/dremel the magnet holes on the SL plate inwards a couple thousandths inch.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 23
    Options

You can adapt the RD0 housing to the SL1000 plate also. Just need to drill/dremel the magnet holes on the SL plate inwards a couple thousandths inch.
    I was not aware of that. You'll still need to make a bit of room at the sides to accommodate the wire connection. When I tried to move to the sl2000 from the sl1000 I found this out the hard way.
    The way the sl1000 tweeter and peerless connect, the connection is in the lower radius of the oval.

• xschop
    Options
    1/2" round file-rasp knocks that task out in seconds. ;)
  • xschop
    Options

I was not aware of that. You'll still need to make a bit of room at the sides to accommodate the wire connection. When I tried to move to the sl2000 from the sl1000 I found this out the hard way.
    The way the sl1000 tweeter and peerless connect, the connection is in the lower radius of the oval.

It sounds better than the RDO plastic too.
  • inanortherntown
    Options

Thanks all. This sounds like it may be the route to go, as it avoids altering the cabinet. Not too clear on where the magnet holes are on the SL1000? This is new to me but I’m trying.

• pitdogg2
    Options

Thanks all. This sounds like it may be the route to go, as it avoids altering the cabinet. Not too clear on where the magnet holes are on the SL1000? This is new to me but I’m trying.

Clear as mud, right on the front bezel. The four bolt closest to the tweeter diaphragm.

• inanortherntown
    Options
    So dremel these down, and remove the magnets from the RD0 replacements and they should drop in, using the existing SL housing? I’m gonna try it. Why the heck not
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 24
    Options
    So dremel these down, and remove the magnets from the RD0 replacements and they should drop in, using the existing SL housing? I’m gonna try it. Why the heck not

Use a hex wrench of the right size to remove bolts. DO NOT do this until you have new RD-0194 tweeters. This will ruin the sl1000 tweeter since the voice coils leads are under the black lines on the face.
    A small round file is what I would use to make the holes align up with the new tweeter.
    Hopefully you're mechanically inclined to align the new magnet assembly. The new tweeter will separate into 3 parts. The faceplate (bezel), the tweeter diaphragm/voice coil and magnet.
    DO NOT remove the black lines or the old wire connectors, just flatten them against the bezel they'll be fine. Carefully remove the old tweeter diaphragm, you may need to carefully trim the old wire away enough to not get in the way of the new tweeter diaphragm.
    Key word here CAREFULLY....
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

He's back in business!

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • inanortherntown
    Options

Use a hex wrench of the right size to remove bolts. DO NOT do this until you have new RD-0194 tweeters. This will ruin the sl1000 tweeter since the voice coils leads are under the black lines on the face.
    A small round file is what I would use to make the holes align up with the new tweeter.
    Hopefully you're mechanically inclined to align the new magnet assembly. The new tweeter will separate into 3 parts. The faceplate (bezel), the tweeter diaphragm/voice coil and magnet.

Great. Yes I should be able to handle. I’m going to give it a shot, anyway.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

He's back in business!

Tom

Who?
  • treitz3
    Options
    @VR3 (Trey)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • inanortherntown
    Options
    @VR3 (Trey)

Tom

Plot sickens. Worth it to reach out to him for xover? The speakers themselves sound great and are in great shape so I think they’re worth the hassle
  • treitz3
    Options
    He is still working on rebuilding the website but you can reach out to him at VR3mods.net

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    @VR3 (Trey)

Tom

Jesse was referring to
    @westmassguy.
    As far as I knew Dave is retired.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Thanks Tom. I just put the site back up a few days ago. Long way to go.

Glad to help!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Jesse was referring to @westmassguy. As far as I knew Dave is retired.

Ah, I did not know this. Duly noted and thanks for the update.

Tom

• xschop
    edited February 24
    Options

Great. Yes I should be able to handle. I’m going to give it a shot, anyway.

Might want to get some metric dome screws too. IIRC M4 x 0.7 x 8

And cover the RDO coil leads with a single layer electrical tape or they'll short on the SL plate.
  • inanortherntown
    Options

[/quote]

Might want to get some metric dome screws too. IIRC M4 x 0.7 x 8

And cover the RDO coil leads with a single layer electrical tape or they'll short on the SL plate.[/quote]

Understood. And thanks for the great welcome. Trey is getting me sorted. Looking forward to learning more!

• inanortherntown
    inanortherntown Posts: 27
    edited February 27
    Options
    This surgery is progressing well, thanks to your collective input. One thing--for the terminals on the new RD0 tweeters, does the white wire within my speaker go on the terminal painted red?
  • xschop
    Options
    Should be black wire to red dot
  • inanortherntown
    Options
    Had to use the RD0 screws until proper length dome ones come in but I couldn’t wait. Success!
    s85iil1u4a0m.jpg

5fqjq9hfrnes.jpg