New headphone arrival

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,521
Finally the Stax x9000 have arrived. This will have to keep me company until an HE1 drops on my lap (hopefully someday).

Looks gorgeous and typical Japanese artistry handmade packaging. Reminds of the airtight cartridge I received.

Still waiting on my amp….

di8uhgowfnes.jpeg
07ricb5ldp0t.jpeg
4am1cd5q14mt.jpeg
b3oi0i7gw0an.jpeg
t5o8po6642fk.jpeg
u8dn5o82lq8w.jpeg
lf1408ig2mha.jpeg
536ghnqb8i05.jpeg
w9g21kodiftq.jpeg
t909pk6288hb.jpeg
n7t94l9xopao.jpeg
f9y6gy94qodn.jpeg
4j9nbqnkfrzy.jpeg
3jorucynmvej.jpeg
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Congrats! Nice jammies ya got there! :smile:
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Hope they sound as good as they look.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Not sure if this would be of interest to you, but saw it on The Music Room:

https://tmraudio.com/personal-audio/headphone-amplifiers/stax-srm-d50-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier-1/
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I remember when I first heard Stax headphones (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) and they were fantastic. Nothing has sounded as good as they did.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Finally the Stax x9000 have arrived. This will have to keep me company until an HE1 drops on my lap (hopefully someday).

Looks gorgeous and typical Japanese artistry handmade packaging.

The headset and the wooden box look lovely, but all that plastic wrapping around the headphones themselves on the inside? No thank you! My Apple AirPods Max cost $600 and I thought the packaging looked much better, in typical Apple fashion. It’s always a joy to unwrap their stuff IMO.

That said, the AirPods Max are good for what they are, and well designed, but they could never be described as great. I actually sent them back, and kept the Beats Studio Pro instead. Also not audiophile grade (so not at all what you are looking for, obviously), but they were $200 shipped, including taxes, from BestBuy, and probably sound 90% as good as the AirPods Max.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

Looks gorgeous and typical Japanese artistry handmade packaging.

The headset and the wooden box look lovely, but all that plastic wrapping around the headphones themselves on the inside? No thank you! My Apple AirPods Max cost $600 and I thought the packaging looked much better, in typical Apple fashion. It’s always a joy to unwrap their stuff IMO.

That said, the AirPods Max are good for what they are, and well designed, but they could never be described as great. I actually sent them back, and kept the Beats Studio Pro instead. Also not audiophile grade (so not at all what you are looking for, obviously), but they were $200 shipped, including taxes, from BestBuy, and probably sound 90% as good as the AirPods Max.

Also slight ding to the box

I’m asking to see if they can send me a new box

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    zkz6uiovr5uo.png
    Have you been able to test drive them with your other gear
    Randy/Maine
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I don't think he has a suitable amp on hand yet, as these require a special type of amplifier.