Rules re posting an item for sale?

Options
Melgarpoe
Melgarpoe Posts: 5
edited January 31 in The Clubhouse
Do I understand the rules correctly that before I can post an item for sale I need to have made 100 other "meaningful" posts?

If this is correct, can someone point me in the direction of where one might offer to sell some old Polk Audio SRS 3.1 speakers that does not require quite so long a commitment but where people who are interested in Polk Audio equipment might shop?

I only have one set of speakers and no other Polk Audio equipment, so I'm not really interested in posting 100 times before trying to sell them. I know I can just try Craigslist or eBay, but I assume no one there will know anything about these speakers.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    Answer ✓
    Options
    They will know. You can also try US Audio Mart, Audiogon or Reverb.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Melgarpoe wrote: »
    Do I understand the rules correctly that before I can post an item for sale I need to have made 100 other "meaningful" posts?

If this is correct, can someone point me in the direction of where one might offer to sell some old Polk Audio SRS 3.1 speakers that does not require quite so long a commitment but where people who are interested in Polk Audio equipment might shop?

I only have one set of speakers and no other Polk Audio equipment, so I'm not really interested in posting 100 times before trying to sell them. I know I can just try Craigslist or eBay, but I assume no one there will know anything about these speakers.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Good advice above, and of course eBay will get you the most nationwide exposure. Make sure to post plenty of high quality pics, and as many details about the speakers as possible.

There are also other forums like AVSforum that might have different rules…but you are correct about the rules here. So you have a stereo? Listen to music or watch movies? If so, it wouldn’t take long to ask a few questions and post some responses here and there.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There's a pair of 3.1TLs listed on Ebay right now. That listing could be a model for posting there. The listing price may be unrealistic and they might sit unsold for a long time. With old speakers like these even people who know about them are generally looking for a steal, not a deal, when there are so many other options for brand new speakers.

Although this is a Polk forum the audience and market here is very tiny, and even tinier for speakers that have to be picked up in person. I would say head to Ebay first but I wouldn't count on any takers above a few hundred dollars.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good luck! You never know. If you list them as an auction at $400 for a couple weeks you may get more than one person interested in them and bid up a bit.

Answers

• Melgarpoe
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated. I'll take some photos of the speakers and post them to some of the suggested locations. I could probably get to 100 posts here on a variety of the suggested topics, but my wife would have killed me by then for not having gotten rid of the speakers as promised...so...I think I'll try some other spots. But as I said, the advice is much appreciated.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    Options
    Isn't this the same as posting something for sale? Exposure is already here is it not?

I am not dogging on the OP, because I really don't care, as these would need to be picked up, and not shipped, so there really isn't any risk to the buyer or seller..

I am just saying that this is kind of a for sale ad, as all someone has to do is PM the OP...
  • Melgarpoe
    Options
    First, no one has pm'd me about buying the speakers. And I assume that without anything about the condition of the speakers or any photos of them is not that likely to drive much interest in them.

Second, the rule says you can't post here an item for sale except within the stated rules, not that you can't ask about the rules regarding posting items for sale, so I assumed my question was within the rules. If it's not, I assume some admin can and will delete my post.

My query was because the rule re posting 100 times before posting a for sale ad seemed high to me and I wanted to make sure I had it correct...Though I will note, I think I'm already at 3/100ths of the way there!!!
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    I give you credit for reading the rules first and at least asking the question, rather than just posting something for sale like most idiots do, and then getting indignant when called out. Good luck with your speakers, welcome to the site.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    Options
    This question should have been posted in the Clubhouse section.

@RyanC_Masimo can you move it, please.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Melgarpoe
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    There's a pair of 3.1TLs listed on Ebay right now. That listing could be a model for posting there. The listing price may be unrealistic and they might sit unsold for a long time. With old speakers like these even people who know about them are generally looking for a steal, not a deal, when there are so many other options for brand new speakers.

Although this is a Polk forum the audience and market here is very tiny, and even tinier for speakers that have to be picked up in person. I would say head to Ebay first but I wouldn't count on any takers above a few hundred dollars.

Thank you so much. This is incredibly helpful. Seeing the eBay ad and the asking price is very useful. I'm planning to list them for far less than that eBay asking price, so hopefully they'll sell. I only want to do local pick-up though since shipping these things would be a major undertaking.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Melgarpoe wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

Thank you so much. This is incredibly helpful. Seeing the eBay ad and the asking price is very useful. I'm planning to list them for far less than that eBay asking price, so hopefully they'll sell. I only want to do local pick-up though since shipping these things would be a major undertaking.

There are 30 watchers for that listing, so you should at least in theory get some looks.

And I think part of the reason necessitating a steal price is that most likely the right buyer is going to make a loooong road trip lol…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Probably best to just delete this entire discussion.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Probably best to just delete this entire discussion.

Why? He asked a legitimate question (unlike most folks), seemed to be listening to advice, and gave us no information leading us to his speakers. I don't see an issue other than its in the wrong location.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Really don’t understand the issues some people are expressing with this thread… 🤦‍♂️

Is there any advice he needs to know about for shipping these (even if it’s in somebody’s trunk or pickup truck)? Are these one of the models subject to shifting magnets etc. when in transit?
    Alea jacta est!
  • Melgarpoe
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Really don’t understand the issues some people are expressing with this thread… 🤦‍♂️

Is there any advice he needs to know about for shipping these (even if it’s in somebody’s trunk or pickup truck)? Are these one of the models subject to shifting magnets etc. when in transit?

Although it would be interesting to know if there are any issues with shipping the speakers, it's not really relevant for me as 1) I don't want to go to the trouble of getting them packed and prepared for shipping and 2) I want whomever buys them to have the chance to try them out to make sure they're working properly so there's no issue with needing to agree to any warranty.

But since this thread seems to be making some people really annoyed, perhaps it should be moved (not sure how to do that) to the correct forum, or just deleted. I've gotten the information I need (which I really appreciate!) so I'm fine moving on...I really did not think the form of my question violated any rules or would stir such debate. Sorry about that.

Thanks for all the helpful advice though. It is, as I've said, much appreciated.

Michael
  • RyanC_Masimo
    Options
    I went ahead and moved this over to The Clubhouse. I will leave this discussion up as it contains some information that may be useful to other members.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    edited January 31
    Options
    I went ahead and moved this over to The Clubhouse.

Where it will likely never be seen again, buried in the what is (by far) the busiest section of the forum, and therefore won’t prove useful. If it had stayed in the For Sale section, it might have been useful in the future to somebody else with the same question.

Whatever. 🤷‍♂️

Classic example of much ado about nothing.

Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    edited January 31
    Options
    Kex, time to crawl back in your hole.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,478
    Options
    When I joined the forum it wouldn't let you look in Classified until you reached the post amount. Not sure if that was the Vanilla issue-changeover spiral downhill
    Randy/Maine
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Yeah, I think that was a vBulletin feature.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    @Melgarpoe , I applaud you for asking about the rules, though you have somewhat circumvented them in the process. We are a pretty tight knit community. As such, through our interactions, we have come to know each other on some level. Along with that comes expectations on how selling between each other will go. On occasion, I have responded and done business with others here who are not a part of our community. Personally, every single one of those transactions have been anything but smooth. Hence the rules!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    edited January 31
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    I went ahead and moved this over to The Clubhouse.

Where I will likely never be seen again, buried in the depths of the forum, and therefore I won’t prove useful. If I had stayed away I might have been useful in the future to somebody by never seeing me post again.

Whatever. 🤡

Classic example of I am much about nothing.🤡

Agreed!!!