WTB Polk LSi7's

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    caardvark wrote: »
    Have each speaker individually boxed and use a shipping weight of 30 pounds. Add 6 inches to each dimension for packaging and you should be able to get answers and get this deal done.

That's a decent idea for getting a general estimate, but not particularly useful in specific cases as it doesn't account for what packaging options people have available to them. The guy in question has a friend with shipping supplies that he plans on going to for a suitable box for the speakers. TBD on that.

I took all of that into account. The speakers are 21 pounds each. Using 30lbs as your number takes into account the shipped weight pretty easily, and the dimensions are accurate, so it should be a nearly exact quote using the numbers I provided and certainly good enough to create a label from.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • caardvark
    caardvark Posts: 54
    Options
    I took all of that into account. The speakers are 21 pounds each. Using 30lbs as your number takes into account the shipped weight pretty easily, and the dimensions are accurate, so it should be a nearly exact quote using the numbers I provided and certainly good enough to create a label from.

Nearly exact is nearly meaningless unless the idea is to over-estimate by a comfortably safe margin, otherwise all it is is a ballpark estimate that still requires an extra trip to the drop-off site.

The seller's stated plan is to find a single box for the two of them. I don't see how you took that into account.
    Polk LSi15 fronts, LSi7 dual centers, Linn AV5110 sides, Polk RT15i rears, Emotiva UMC-200 pre/pro, 2x Carver M-1.0t MkII & 2x AudioSource Amp 100, Crown XLS1500 & Dayton 18" sub.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I would not ship two speakers of their weight in the same box... That is asking for trouble unless you have the original packaging.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Nearly exact is nearly meaningless unless the idea is to over-estimate by a comfortably safe margin, otherwise all it is is a ballpark estimate that still requires an extra trip to the drop-off site.

The seller's stated plan is to find a single box for the two of them. I don't see how you took that into account.

I am just trying to give you shipping numbers that will be within a couple dollars of your actual costs. If you feel that over-paying for shipping by a couple dollars is a huge deal, maybe you need another hobby.

• caardvark
    Options
    I am just trying to give you shipping numbers that will be within a couple dollars of your actual costs. If you feel that over-paying for shipping by a couple dollars is a huge deal, maybe you need another hobby.

I don't think we're on the same page here... I'm well aware of how to estimate shipping costs. I have a postal scale and accounts with FedEx/UPS/USPS. The only element of interest is actually paying for the shipping, which requires specific weight and dimensions. Estimates are useless at that stage.
    Polk LSi15 fronts, LSi7 dual centers, Linn AV5110 sides, Polk RT15i rears, Emotiva UMC-200 pre/pro, 2x Carver M-1.0t MkII & 2x AudioSource Amp 100, Crown XLS1500 & Dayton 18" sub.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Why not just have the guy drop them off at a FedEx store? That way it's easier for him instead of making the 2 trips you're talking about, and faster for you.

Using @nooshinjohn 's recommendations above, you should be able to estimate the cost to you if that's a significant consideration here and a determining factor in whether you'll move forward. You can pay the guy his $200 once he drops off and let him be off.

I also think the 2-box idea is best, and personally, if there's no original box and packing materials available, I wouldn't trust a non-audio freak to properly pack them.

We're trying to share some alts and options with you here that you might not be aware of to make this easier for both of you, and to help ensure your speakers arrive safely and without having to wait on the guy to manage everything.

As I'm sure you know, you can use your FedEx account at the FedEx stores. Just get the guy's zip code, find some places nearby online, and ask him which one he'd prefer to go to.

Then, call that store, let them know you're planning to have a friend stop in to drop off some speakers you'd like packed and shipped separately, and that you'll be coordinating that process from the point of drop off, and give them your phone and email.

FedEx Office has Insta-Pak now for heavy, awkward, fragile stuff. It's perfect for packing things like speakers, large subwoofers, and amps. Takes all the hassle out of these kinds of transactions.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Because the FedEx store couldn't pack a lunch!
  • msg
    Options
    Got the special samwich, eh? That's what you get.
    I disabled signatures.
  • caardvark
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Because the FedEx store couldn't pack a lunch!

That and it would more than double the cost, between him not having a shipping (business) account, and the premium they add for packaging. If it's possible to let someone else use my account id remotely without compromising security, that's news to me. Having FedEx contact me could possibly work, but I have little faith in their communications to not drop the ball there while he's waiting at the counter.

Not to pitdogg2... Let's just assume I know how to handle shipping stuff and move on, okay? We've gotten sidetracked answering a question that was never asked.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    You came here looking for help finding speakers... as far as I know, the ones you are looking at are the ones I found for you. All we are doing is trying to help you get them in one piece. I gave you all the measurements you need to have a very accurate shipping total, and since then, you have been rather snarky in your responses.

No more help will you get from me.

• caardvark
    Options
    You came here looking for help finding speakers... as far as I know, the ones you are looking at are the ones I found for you.

You're forgetting that I had already seen them and opted not to contact him.

The snarky-ness is annoyance at all this kicking a dead horse. Finding speakers? Yes. The nuances of shipping? No.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Guys, can we please just all take a step back and relax a bit? If this is how we treat new members, we are all gonna have to be stuck with you yahoo's to talk to from now on.

Let's hit the reset button on this one shall we? No more shipping help. That's a rather simple request, no?

That said, welcome to the forum @caardvark.

John, nice job on locating a pair of speakers for this gentleman.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • caardvark
    Options
    I'll try following up with the Spokane guy one more time, but it's looking like that deal is dead in the water. (And that my intuition was not wrong.) I checked back in after the storm passed and he didn't know who I was, as he had lost his phone... After a quick reminder, he expressed mild concern over a non-face-to-face deal but went ahead and got a UPS quote on his own. It was only $45 to my general area, which is less than I expected for a non-account. But, he wasn't comfortable with credit card payments and related fees, so I told him I would pay the 3% PayPal fees. Haven't heard back from him since.

I did find the $100 FB Marketplace pair by changing my search radius -- oddly, FB often recommends 'outside your area' stuff that's way further away, regardless of search radius -- and they were the same $150 CL Bay Area pair as I had checked on previously, that the guy was unwilling to ship. They sold a day or two after being posted here, after having been listed for 2 months. Did someone here score them??
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    They sold a day or two after being posted here, after having been listed for 2 months. Did someone here score them??

We never kiss and tell...

• vader540is
    vader540is Posts: 178
    Options
    I'll try following up with the Spokane guy one more time, but it's looking like that deal is dead in the water. (And that my intuition was not wrong.) I checked back in after the storm passed and he didn't know who I was, as he had lost his phone... After a quick reminder, he expressed mild concern over a non-face-to-face deal but went ahead and got a UPS quote on his own. It was only $45 to my general area, which is less than I expected for a non-account. But, he wasn't comfortable with credit card payments and related fees, so I told him I would pay the 3% PayPal fees. Haven't heard back from him since.

I did find the $100 FB Marketplace pair by changing my search radius -- oddly, FB often recommends 'outside your area' stuff that's way further away, regardless of search radius -- and they were the same $150 CL Bay Area pair as I had checked on previously, that the guy was unwilling to ship. They sold a day or two after being posted here, after having been listed for 2 months. Did someone here score them??

Looks like this guy bought them

https://offerup.co/D8nmnUaLMGb
  • caardvark
    edited January 30
    Options
    vader540is wrote: »
    Looks like this guy bought them

https://offerup.co/D8nmnUaLMGb

Those aren't the same ones. Much better condition and different S/N stickers.

Ironically, I created an OfferUp account a few weeks back while searching all the usual places for LSi7's. Within a week or so, my account got suspended for actions violating the TOS. I responded saying I had literally no actions (they listed things like bad transactions, harassing members, false advertising, etc.), having used it for only a couple searches. They wrote back quickly saying it was a technical glitch... I've been searching there every couple days and those are the first LSi7's to show up.

Edit: They're actually not showing up for me in [saved] searches, despite the title matching keywords. There's no range restriction in the search that I'm aware of. Other non-local stuff appears, so I guess I'm clueless when it comes to everything OfferUp.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Have you considered that all of this may simply be the universe trying to tell you to not to waste your time and money tracking down a pair of mediocre LSi7s?
  • caardvark
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Have you considered that all of this may simply be the universe trying to tell you to not to waste your time and money tracking down a pair of mediocre LSi7s?

Yes, that thought has crossed my mind, which is why I see humor in the OfferUp banning.

Why do you consider them mediocre? Other than having been improved upon by the LSiM/Reserve/Legends, I've never seen someone have a negative opinion of the LSi7, let alone that strong.

A week or less after getting the LSi15's -- a 6 hr drive through the mountains, snowy time of year -- someone posted a set of LSiM 703's in great shape for $300. It was also a 6 hr drive in the other direction...and I had read that they're not particularly closely matched tonally to the LSi's despite the similar ring radiator tweeter. The guy didn't have a running vehicle and couldn't meet up closer, and they sold a couple days later while I had the thought of them on the back burner.

Having since found that my NHT's blend reasonably well with the LSi15's after re-running room EQ, I wish I had jumped on the 703's. That's a tough deal to beat, and they'd probably be even closer than the NHT's once EQ'd. But, by the same reasoning, I'm pretty happy with what I've got now, so it isn't a pressing need to find something.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I don't like the tweeter, it is mediocre.
  • caardvark
    Options
    I don't like the tweeter, it is mediocre.

To each their own, I guess. I consider it the strongest element.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Well, then you haven't heard very many speakers.
  • caardvark
    Options
    Okay, so I tried the Spokane guy one last time, to see if the deal is dead or is he still willing to ship... Turns out he only wanted to sell all three sets of speakers together, despite the ad saying nothing about that, and him not mentioning it when we discussed shipping. Sounds like a disingenuous attempt to get out of his discomfort with shipping, but it's not worth pressing the matter and hoping for a good outcome.

I hate to say I told you so, but I'm pretty good at reading people.
  • msg
    Options
    Your experience only proves you weren't able to work out the deal.

Another possibility is that he could just have been put off by you for some reason, and doesn't have the heart to say so.

I'm pretty good at reading people.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 31
    Options
    "searching for LSi7's to complement the fronts."

Obligatory LSi7's WHAT? comment.

But honestly wtf does this even mean? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? You're going to run these in addition to the LSi15 front L and R? What in TARNATION?!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    "4x NHT SuperOne center(s)"

LOL wtf?! Is this guy really running 4 speakers as a center channel? Can we see a picture of this abomination?
  • caardvark
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Your experience only proves you weren't able to work out the deal.

Another possibility is that he could just have been put off by you for some reason, and doesn't have the heart to say so.

I knew someone would double down on that track. If you think that little of my character or honesty, please move along to another thread. I'd be happy to share the entire text thread with someone local, so they can see that I have not said or done anything remotely out of line. We had one phone call that I obviously can't show anything from, but it was a pleasant chat. If anyone were to have a complaint, it would be me, as he was quite a talker and I struggled to get many words in.
    "searching for LSi7's to complement the fronts."

Obligatory LSi7's WHAT? comment.

But honestly wtf does this even mean? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? You're going to run these in addition to the LSi15 front L and R? What in TARNATION?!
    "4x NHT SuperOne center(s)"

LOL wtf?! Is this guy really running 4 speakers as a center channel? Can we see a picture of this abomination?

That has no real relevance to a WTB thread, but since you seem intent on fighting over the merits of LSi7's, I'll bite... I have long believed that the HT industry has it all wrong when it comes to center channels. I run dual bookshelfs as centers, as each by itself far outperforms any comparable center channel speaker (which is the most compromised of speaker designs, IMO). And two of them creates a sweet spot in nearly every seating position, being able to toe them out slightly. A movie theater wouldn't do well with just one speaker behind the screen...

Everyone who has listened to my system comes away impressed that it punches that high above its price point.

Now that I have upgraded my amps to the MkII's in my sig, which was the reason for getting the LSi15's, I figured I might as well run two sets of my SuperOne's in parallel off each channel, since the center channel amp is rated at 510 W/ch into 4 ohms, and each speaker is only capable of 150W. Until I find some LSi7's, that makes the best use of what I have available.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 31
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    edited January 31
    Options
    When I had a home theater I ran all JBL HLS 610's in a 6.2 configuration. My room wasn't big enough for two center 610's in front and back. Yes I agree in that the HLS center channels left a lot to be desired, the HLS 610's in place of a true center made a huge difference in the sound stage blending.
  • msg
    Options
    Could be the guy really needs the money and got spooked thinking they could be damaged in shipping and that you'd reverse payment.

I shared with you how to make this happen: remove the risk and hassle for the seller. Have him drop them off at a FedEx Office store near him, pay him upon drop off confirmation, and you then coordinate the packing and shipping with the store. It's easy.

You can be right, or you can have your LSi7s at a great price. Which one're you gonna choose?
    I disabled signatures.
  • caardvark
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    You can be right, or you can have your LSi7s at a great price. Which one're you gonna choose?

Move along, please. You're clearly more interested in being heard than in being helpful.