MXT60 tower speakers coil getting damaged

Options
Hi all,

I have recently set up my first 2.0 system with a pair of MXT 60 tower speakers powering up by an old Denon 2310 AVR. My goal is to make it 5.1.2 going forward, but as of now I wanted to keep front left and right, reason why I bought this AVR from used market. I have enabled auddyssey and inserted speaker position distance for both the speakers. Changed treble to +4 db and bass to +2 db, also set crossover at 80hz, running without sub.

Now coming to the issue I’m facing. Most of the time I listen to music at -15 db to -20db (hope this is not extremely high volume for a speaker in this category). Sometimes when I watch movies I increase it to -10db because movies have lesser sound than music. It feels adequate to me. Upon using it in this settings for a month or so one fine day I noticed crackling sound coming from the right speaker when speaker is playing bass oriented sound. I immediately took it to service center and they showed me that the coil of the active driver is worn out. After two days of hectic argument finally they gave me another active driver under standard warranty.

Now after 2 months again I am facing the same issue with left speaker. Before I take it to the service center, I want some assistance / guidance regarding why this issue is happening with this speaker. Is my AVR not compatible? Should I add dedicated sub to cut off low frequency? If so, then how loud can I go without a sub? Please help me with your input so that I can make the right decision.

Thanks

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,609
    Options
    I do not understand, You have it cut off at 80hz which means you are sending the bass somewhere else YET you are asking the reciever to send more bass to the speaker with +2db. Help me here, Are you sending the bass to a sub? Why not just run them full range?
  • Jaydeep
    Jaydeep Posts: 4
    edited December 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I do not understand, You have it cut off at 80hz which means you are sending the bass somewhere else YET you are asking the reciever to send more bass to the speaker with +2db. Help me here, Are you sending the bass to a sub? Why not just run them full range?

Thank you for your prompt response.
    To provide better clarity, I have set the crossover at 80hz in the bass settings, as well as in the crossover settings. (Not sure why it doesnt affect the bass no matter at which point I keep the crossover)
    Additionally, Under the manual settings>tone>bass (set it as +2db, where +/-6db is the min/max range). Changing this setting really tweak the bass, unlike crossover settings.

These are the main settings I have done in my avr. Also i have set the speaker as large (i noticed changing them to small reduces the bass clarity).

Could you pls tell me how to set them full range? Also I am not using any sub.

Like I said, I am very new to setting up perfect home theatre system. Any help would really be appreciated. Please let me know how to avoid damaging my speakers without compromising the sound. Thank you.

• Jaydeep
    Options
    Also attaching the damaged active driver picture for your quick reference..83tug0j9vbed.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,609
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Plain and simple that is caused from over excursion OR over driving the woofer.

To run them full range you do not do anything to the settings. Set them to large and disable that crossover setting or set it as low as it will go (20hz/30hz). What you're doing with that setting is asking the AVR to REMOVE all bass below 80hz. Then you're ASKING for more bass with the +2db bass setting. Then you're over driving the speaker to get MORE sound, bass, I do not know. I do know that speaker gets ripped from the spider by severe over driving or WAY TOO much bass.

Yes setting to small reduces the bass clarity BECAUSE you're REMOVING the bass. Usually you send the bass to a subwoofer that can handle the low frequency when you are using small speakers that do not go that low.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Jaydeep
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Plain and simple that is caused from over excursion OR over driving the woofer.

To run them full range you do not do anything to the settings. Set them to large and disable that crossover setting or set it as low as it will go (20hz/30hz). What you're doing with that setting is asking the AVR to REMOVE all bass below 80hz. Then you're ASKING for more bass with the +2db bass setting. Then you're over driving the speaker to get MORE sound, bass, I do not know. I do know that speaker gets ripped from the spider by severe over driving or WAY TOO much bass.

Yes setting to small reduces the bass clarity BECAUSE you're REMOVING the bass. Usually you send the bass to a subwoofer that can handle the low frequency when you are using small speakers that do not go that low.

Thank you for explaining. So after replacing the coil you are suggesting I should invest in a sub so that I can listen to high volume music without damaging the spider. But let me tell you the volume i listen to is not extremely loud and my sony soundbar delivers that sound without damaging anything. Yes quality is obviously different. But my point is why would someone invest in these costly polk if it cant handle this much volume?