RT55i vs. SDA 1C (icking nuts II)

Options
2»

Comments

• CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Congrats on quiting smoking Russ. Keep it up it gets easier. I quit 3 years ago this past Oct. 8th. Food tastes much better IMO.
    Chris :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Again, I am not knocking SDA's, given the choice, I would love to have a pair. I agree with Chuck though, they were a great compromise.

All I am trying to point out is that I don't think that in the early 90's Polk all of a sudden changed direction. I feel that the RT line is a direct extension of the monitor line. Additionally, I don't feel that the SDA was, or was really intended to be, an "audiophile" type speaker. (side note, raife1, I was not calling you an audiophile snob) I think instead it was intended, as are all Polk speakers, to be something a little different and better than the standard fare. But I stand by my statement, if you pull a driver from and SDA and one from a Monitor, made of the exact same materials. As far as the world being flat analogy, sorry, that doesn't hold water. The audiophile community that I was refering to could actually see,hear and listen to an SDA while the folks you were refering to could only take the word of others. Again, I was not knocking SDA in any way shape or form....just pointing out what I see and perceive and there is still no objective evidence to the contrary from what I see.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Wow what a thread, simple statement that I didn't hear a muddy midrange in my SDA 1C's even after comparing them to the RT55i's, and now we have a two page fist fight, I love it.

Guys I am not saying the SDA line was the end all speaker, but most of you agree the monitor line was great, the SDA line is +/- twice the speaker (yea at 2-3 times the price, used) as the monitor line with the added SDA twist. Kinda like the LSi line should be twice the speaker as the RTi line (at least it better be for the $ difference)

So what is SDA, it is like the Carver Sonic Holography (sp?) but better. CSH required pin point accuracy on the set up of your speakers, room and listening position to give you this stereo image that extended to your left and right it did this on most all material with some electronic magic box.

Polk SDA has a required set-up that is a little more forgiving in speaker placement, a LOT more forgiving to the listener position to get this headphone like stereo imaging, it is hard to fully describe, this does not work on all recording when it is not present in the song it addes nothing to the material (not fake =good) but when the material has wide separation and/or recorded to preserve the artists positions far left, back left, center, back right, far right, it is so cool, as Raife said back a while ago, rock and roll usually does not have ANY of this info, you get the wall of sound that you usually get any speaker. But take a artist like Sting, Diana Krall, Pink Floyd (TONS of really cool stuff, yes the reefer would help alot here, damn drug tests). Let me give you an example, my wife has the Alicia Keys CD it was in the changer and I happened apon it, said what the heck gave it a spin, on her hit song Fallin she and her piano are dead center mid way between me and the speakers the background singers spead across the front wall and extemd (wrap around) halfway down the right and left walls, the next song I swear the "song" is playing in front of me, when Alicia does her "talking" part she is talking in my left ear, not over to the left side of the room I mean 1 or 2 feet from my left ear, way cool stuff. I could write a page long desc. of Pink Floyd, Roger Waters solo stuff also.

Anyway, peace and and watch the personal attacks guys, we are suppose to be having fun here.

hoosier21 will not bring up the SDA vs anything again.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Thanks, Russ.
    Again, I don't want anyone to think that I am bashing them or thier gear.....quite the contrary, I want to learn more about it. I just want to hear what others have to say vis a vis my thoughts. I think discourse like this is good....I think there is a lot of good info presented..

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Yeah, what Troy said. Russ, Mike, Max, Bob and others, your opinions are valued, please keep em coming. Anything to break up the subwoofer connection posts...

What sent me over the edge was the 'misinformed musings' statement really, if it was meant lightly, then I read it wrong. I guess I didn't stir the pot, I freakin dumped it over.

Dammit, sometimes I really miss the 'old' forum.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Russman thought you were out today? What do you mean you miss the old forum? what was the old forum?

I to love posting here, it is my homepage:D I am glad Polk does not report my logged in time to the boss:eek:
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2002
    Options
    It's wetter than Micahs socks out here, won't stop raining, and rain does not mix with the field work that I needed to do....

So, I'm here to entertain and piss off people today, just like any other day....

The old 'style' forum....Pre 7/2001, thats all....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited January 2002
    Options
    all of our cars are covered with ice this morning.

scott:cool:
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    You gonna melt or what, dude??

The Misinformed and Uneducated
  • wangotango68
    edited January 2002
    Options
    antilock and traction control no problem!

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2002
    Options
    ..Hardly, its a 3m adhesive thing, I'll let you ponder that..

R
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited January 2002
    Options
    For me, this is strictly for entertainment and informational purposes only. I do not take it personally if someone "bashes" my audio gear or any of my material possessions. It's just stuff to play with.

Not to stir the pot, but Aaron, hoosier21, about that mysterious "missing" post in "Kicking Nuts: Episode III", I've probably got it lurking around in my cache somewhere.;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Russ, why would you do that to an ignorant and misinformed brother??

There just ain't no love.

Troy
  • wangotango68
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Russ, why would you do that to an ignorant and misinformed brother??

what a dick!

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2002
    Options
    If you want to get back in my face, just do it. I posted, I thought about it, and let it be, trying not to degrade what may be an interesting read to some members.

The ball is in your court man, just leave it be....

R
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Scott,

I was just yukking with Russ about letting me ponder the 3M adhesive thing.

if there was any misunderstanding, sorry bout that.

Troy
  • wangotango68
    edited January 2002
    Options
    no problem,

but thats how some of the little fights get started on here

the way people **** on here you would think we were a bunch
    of women.

scott:D
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    ....you are right though, I am a dick.

Dirk Diggler
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'm not posting to start a new war over SDA and no, I haven't been around the forums for quite a while now. I'm just starting to look at a few past posts though and came across RussMans comment about the short life span of the SDA feature... I have one comment about that... What did Polk use in their SRT flagships for years (what, up to 2000?) ? Yup, SDA. That's not so short '82 to '00.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Whats up with this SDA stuff you speak of? I bought most of my stuff in the past two years and it all says "SDA". Maybe I just picked the wrong acronym and spent all my cash... Or maybe I just listened? On a side note I work with a guy who used to work at polk (can I say this without getting put on a hit list or something?) and he said something about how they were annoyed that the audiophile community didn't recognize their SDA line as an audiophile speaker line? He wasn't important anyway but just a guy working the low levels of polk. --I refuse to submit the name of the guy as I am not required to divulge info that may tend to incriminate myself, or my friend-- How the heck can you not consider the SDA's as an audiophile line of speakers??? I guess the convensing soundstage just made them furious? Maybe the minor lack of detailed sound for only $10,000 less per speaker? Maybe they just couldn't put up with a new idea leaving them in the dust? I remember reading about this new "audiophile" sensation where they mounted a tweeter facing the rear and it blew away the norm. I had had a cheap $50 tweeter facing the rear for over 5 yrs when I heard that. I guess untill someone with "authority" does it and charges a disgraceful amount of cash for it none of them can stand it? From what I understand "mono" was the prevailing method of listening untill this new "stereo" stuff was considered worthy? How many decades until multi-speaker sound will become "reasonable"? Just blowing off steam. sorry. Oh yea, I just ordered a 50 wpc valve amplifier. I guess maybe I am caught up in it as well?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D