Polk CS2 tweeter blown? Or crossover? Is CS1 tweeter the same?

Options
Not long ago I got a great deal on a set of Monitor 70s and a CS1 (all 1st gen). I found a CS2 shortly after (also 1st gen) and have been using it since that has the matching size drivers. I was watching some movies last week (and yes I was pushing the system pretty hard in defense of the speakers) and my Yamaha receiver shut down. When I turned it back on the face said "Check SP Wires". I checked all the (banana plug) connections and turned it back on after finding no issues. After a couple of minutes it shut down again, giving the same message when powered back on. I went around listening to the speakers and found that the tweeter on the CS2 was not working. I swapped the CS2 with the CS1 and everything is working fine again.

I would rather have the CS2 in the mix due to having the matching drivers in the front stage, but finding parts for these isn't the easiest to do. And buying a second hand center is really cheaper than buying parts for these nowadays. I only paid $50 for the 70s and CS1 all together. And the CS2 I was able to get for $40. The tweeters look the same and I wonder, if they are... can they just be swapped out? They appear to be the same from what I can see without removing them, but I imagine someone here probably knows for sure. (I have been unable to find any supporting documentation as far as part numbers anywhere on the web.) But before I jump to swapping those if they are interchangeable, I guess I need to know if the crossover could be the culprit. Is there a way to test it without disconnecting everything?

I would appreciate any insight into this. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Only way to know for sure is to look at the model numbers on the back of the tweeters.

I do not see CS1 or CS2 listed in the schematics, I do see CS100 and CS200 those in fact do have different tweeters.
  • eddiesxb
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Only way to know for sure is to look at the model numbers on the back of the tweeters.

I do not see CS1 or CS2 listed in the schematics, I do see CS100 and CS200 those in fact do have different tweeters.

That was going to be my first step but I thought I'd see if anyone here knew for certain before taking things apart. I searched for schematics everywhere but was unable to find anything. As a matter of fact the closest thing to come close was the owners manual, which lists a 1" (25mm) cloth dome tweeter across the entire monitor line. If I don't get an answer before the weekend I'll open them up to see. But thanks... the difference in the CS100 and CS200 is making me question things more now.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I checked with a friend at Polk and he said:

"Yes, the part # is RD0094-1, but they are no longer available.
    The CS10 tweeter part # RD0770-1 are available and should fit."