Oh, man...White Flag...

Options
So, one may think that the White Flag means I give up. Not the case here. The beginning of this song by Dido has always been ho-hum to really good.

Tonight, I am listening and the passage moves "up" from the lower spectrum of the speakers to the mids and then, up to the top of the speakers.

There have been many changes to my system over the course of the past year (well, ever since I started, really) but this is getting beyond what I thought stereo could do.

My question to you (since I cannot hear your system) is, can you hear this as well?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,207
    Options
    I will have to check that out next listening session, but I can say for sure that I hear stuff like that all the time in other music, especially some of the more creative electronic music groups like The Chainsmokers, Bob Moses, and Son Lux.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    Options
    I'll check it out. What album by Dido?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    It's on the album, "Life for Rent".

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    IMHO, I can tell you that after 20 minutes (most of which was warm up and shaking off the cold, Michigan resident here) of the Snake River USB being connected, the sound became fuller ... more engaging .. more musical

We'll see what tomorrow brings
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    wrong thread . . . I bet you'll figure it out. Everyone else, not so much
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    Anyone?......Anyone?.....Bueuller?

https://youtu.be/uhiCFdWeQfA?t=66

Tom
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I forgot about this track. I'll give it a listen the next time I do a listening session. Anxious to hear it with the new amp

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,207
    Options
    I actually gave it a listen a few weeks back. It was surprising to listen to it in a really clean version compared to the overly compressed crap that I always heard on the radio.
    I could definitely hear the sound moving up through the speaker.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Ugh it’s too late for a listening session over here in Dallas
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,192
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I listened to it a few times downstairs in the living room rig and honestly forgot what I was listening for. I was too entranced by the rapid left/right sound movements in the intro. Very good listen though, have never gave it a shot on any of my rigs. Dido’s voice just sounds fantastic
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • treitz3
    Options
    Here's a better description of what I am talking about - At the beginning of the song, there is a sound that goes right to left and back again. It does this 4 times. The first time it does this, it is at the height of just above the floor. The second time it does this, it is at the height of about 2 feet above the floor. The third time it does this, the height moves up to about 4 feet up from the floor. The last time it does this, it comes across at a height of about 6 feet.

Tom
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    Options
    Geez I never noticed that until you pointed it out. It's like a Ping pong ball going back and forth moving higher and higher each time it moves to the other speaker. Then it gets fuller giving more of a room surrounding feeling. I listened on both my Focal's and my Def Tech's. Both speakers / Systems had this effect.
    The Focal's are in a smaller room , Office and the room is basically a square so the bass is strong. The Movement is very cool.

I have had this album for many years, I have used it for Demos and again never studied White Flag like this.

Thanks for pointing this out. I typically use " Sand in my Shoes " and " Do you have a Little Time".
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,116
    Options
    WOW! The way it moves and builds at the same time. The L800 make that seem like I am listening from the middle of the 12th row in an orchestra hall.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,116
    Options
    All Along the Watchtower is amazing too...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson