Volume pot question.

Options
I want to upgrade my volume potentiometer to an ALPS brand because of figment, and as I understand better quality.
Not sure what model/part# to get. Any input appreciated....

cideb6zbjz9w.jpg

rm17bn0oxct2.jpg
Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited October 2023
    Options
    The Alps Blue Velvet is the standard, but it's way too big for your application.

How many pins does yours have? What is the shaft length and diameter?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    edited October 2023
    Options
    6 pins. I have 1.125" clearance from bottom of dial plate to the amp PCB. From the diagrams online, the small square pots will fit no problem. Just not sure which one to get.

I assume 3 pins are for ground, left, and right channel input and 3 for same outputs?
  • xschop
    Options
    Those were the ones I had in mind. I guess the 50K indicates 50K ohm thru the full dial stroke/value?
  • F1nut
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Yes, 50k is the resistance of the pot throughout its range. 50k is a very common choice as it sits about halfway in the 10k to 100k range.
    have 1.125" clearance from bottom of dial plate to the amp PCB.

I was mainly speaking of the width and depth being the problem. You also need to match or come close to the length and shaft diameter of your current pot.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    No worries on fitment. The Alps pot will fit the plate I've already machined for the factory pot. I will go with the 50K Alps then, thanks for confirming F1. The case I'm designing can also be used for other Class D boards, but have been wanting to design a unique integrated dial.
  • xschop
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Pot showed up....

Same diameter shaft, will drill the next plate for the slightly larger diameter thread....

wa6m65ynb0ut.jpg

Design is coming to fruition...
    Bottom fan plate done....

4v8ywmrg4gr8.jpg

dc77vo6r8la3.jpg

Case is trued and turned...

u1n4j347bqhn.jpg

bjb232syg3cu.jpg

Pot plate done...

pgadipfim8ux.jpg

Post edited by xschop on
  • F1nut
    Options
    The Alps will fit on that board???

What about the smooth vs splined shaft?

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,385
    Options
    What about heat dissipation?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    What about heat dissipation?

Tom

From a volume pot?

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited October 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Alps will fit on that board???

What about the smooth vs splined shaft?

It will mount directly to the intermediate plate with a lock nut. I detached and extended it off the board with twisted pairs of multistrand copper wire to test. No change in sound or added artifacts.

I'm building 2 of these cases to test two different dial interface mechanisms. So far the simple interface works great and will save some extra machine work.

I'm making this one a little taller so I can drop in and ICE board or Hypex later on. Maybe a GaNFET?

The fan is not even needed for the A07 that I'm first prototyping here. I have played it for hours and the factory case just gets warm, having zero venting. Some modders just drill holes in their cases.

• F1nut
    Options
    Ah, very good.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Would these be good to piggy-back off the 36V power supply that came with the A07?...

I would like to run the 12V dual-bearing, brushless fan right off the 36V supplied power switch....

I did a quick test of the fan with a new 9V battery and it flows air nicely without any noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adjustable-Constant-Voltage-Current/dp/B0CBLZ7PPX/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=PNXVV156JGKN&keywords=buck+converter&qid=1695584243&sprefix=buck+converter,aps,151&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&th=1
  • F1nut
    Options
    I tried a few similar devices in an attempt to power the motor on an Alps pot off the internal 30V. Never could get them to work properly. One wouldn't adjust the voltage at all and in another the voltage keep bouncing up and down. I ended up using a 9V brick. You may have better luck.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited November 2023
    Options
    My dial mechanism works like a champ, just have to make that look pretty next...

4brm43u88xa7.jpg

hmc9vao5ryiq.jpg

6bdhr542bk85.jpg

j07tabxwiz1u.jpg

jpygfapl9h7a.jpg

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Nice work!

I was ~17 years old helping a friend fix a motor for his race car. The block had been milled and the piston decks were too high, protruding above the block and hitting the head. Lacking money for more machine work, I said I can knock the .020-.030 thousandths off myself with a drill press. I made some metal stands to hold the pistons, got a mill bit chucked into the drill press and started removing aluminum a little at a time. All went well until the fifth one, where I learned what a Morse taper was.... :o

ywxt50jq9i9m.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Nice work!

I was ~17 years old helping a friend fix a motor for his race car. The block had been milled and the piston decks were too high, protruding above the block and hitting the head. Lacking money for more machine work, I said I can knock the .020-.030 thousandths off myself with a drill press. I made some metal stands to hold the pistons, got a mill bit chucked into the drill press and started removing aluminum a little at a time. All went well until the fifth one, where I learned what a Morse taper was.... :o

You must have been really pistoff!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

You must have been really pistoff!

Pist-on first! LOL
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • xschop
    Options
    Trashing a Briggs piston...No biggie. Trashing a Hypereutectic piston... >:)
  • xschop
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Finished enclosure machining. I Added hidden set-screw attachment points/interface to the case, as will be machining out a billet rear panel for future upgrades/power supply migration to inner case (XLR inputs would be possible). The new TPA-3255 boards have a PFFB feature and upgraded inductors, but also have my eye on the new Purifi boards coming out....
    Will finish the large dial this weekend... Decided it will mimic my favorite watch B)

0sdsxygi3mp5.jpg
    273t41tlpboo.jpg
    bpsi6x7lwt55.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    PFFB
    Please tell me that is not code for
    Polkforumfarmboy ....
    B):#
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    PFFB
    Please tell me that is not code for
    Polkforumfarmboy ....
    B):#

Think I missed that era...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    It was a hoot!
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    It was a hoot!

Still is...never a dull moment here.

Just found out we have a new member here that is running this amp on his RTA-12's with a 48V power supply B)
  • xschop
    Options
    Fine tuning the dial interface/fitment. A couple thousandths each side is the key to smooth-as-butter operation :)

psbd5am45q37.jpg
  • xschop
    edited December 2023
    Options
    ve09a46m4uhg.jpg

w2dhbe6g8jd9.jpg

owg8k5akt2bv.jpg

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,480
    Options
    Hurry it up, wouldja? I have no idea what this is, why it is, or what it's gonna look like, but it looks very neat and inneresting, and I wanna see it finished.

Looks cool so far. I always enjoy the progress photos.
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    Options
    Amplifier case with integrated volume dial, heatsink base and swappable amp boards with room for a power supply. Going to assemble tomorrow.

Happy New Year
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    Options
    Here I thought you were opening the Costco of pot shops…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    Options
    Here I thought you were opening the Costco of pot shops…

Staying stoned does alleviate the pain and anxiety of this place.