6922 tube prices....

Options
What the actual eff?

So, I got a Modwright modded Cambridge Cxn streamer.......and it uses 6922 tubes. Back in the day when I was swapping gear like my underwear, I had quite a stash going......but over the years, I’ve given most of them away.

I’ve gone through a pair of Telefunkens (a little romantic, not enough image specificity for me but soundstage champs)......Gold Lions which just didn’t jive and am currently listening to my tried and true JAN Phillips.

I was thinking a pair of Siemens was would fit the bill (and used to have a pair) or Ampex (I found the boxes but they were empty).....but holy schiitballs, when did the ubiquitous 6922 become pricier than an 8 ball of pure Colombian bam-bam??
I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Biden0miks . . . Thanks Josephine

current production Tung Sol KT-120s are sky high (last I checked) and my monos require 4 each! They're approx $100 each . . .. and I'm piszed!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    See if it will take 7dj8's.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Biden0miks . . . Thanks Josephine

current production Tung Sol KT-120s are sky high (last I checked) and my monos require 4 each! They're approx $100 each . . .. and I'm piszed!

Might want to keep your eye on https://www.vivatubes.com/. I got a matched quad of KT120s in late-August for $335.16. They went fast, but maybe there will be more coming.

If they email about more stock like they did the last time, I’ll let you know.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Kinda like a fine wine or an early hemi Mopar. Prices are just going up and up.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Kinda like a fine wine or an early hemi Mopar. Prices are just going up and up.

Edit: actually I don't know crap about vintage wine values...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    It seems all the popular tube prices have increased a lot. Some sales on Ebay are just dreamers, but the average cost has gone way up.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    The really good ones are not being made anymore. It is a diminishing supply. Accordingly, the price must get higher as the supply dwindles. At some point, they will cost a bitcoin for one of the good ones. I have a stash of maybe a pair that I'm holding on to, but I doubt I'll ever have tubes in my system again. I'll sell them at some point if the price is right.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I've been casually shopping around for a tube integrated amp to maybe swap into my system in place of the Luxman from time to time. But now I'm wondering if investing in tube gear might not be a good idea. Bummer.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • heiney9
    Options
    I've been casually shopping around for a tube integrated amp to maybe swap into my system in place of the Luxman from time to time. But now I'm wondering if investing in tube gear might not be a good idea. Bummer.

Depends, there are a lot of current made tubes available. It's the classics from back in the day that each year become more scarce and prices go up. IMO, it's still worth it to try and experience tubes.

Today's tubes are pretty good, just not quite like the original manufacture tubes from the 50-60's. You can still experience great tube sound.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Why don't they make the same quality tubes today?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • heiney9
    edited October 2023
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Why don't they make the same quality tubes today?

The tube makers are mostly all old or dead, it was an art form. Machining is not as good or precise (to cut costs). Many of the raw materials/processes used have been banned because they are bad for the environment. Raw material costs are high, so cutting corners using less pure materials seems to be common today. All around the process is shorter to keep costs in check. When in reality a longer process might yield a better, more consistent product. For example, the room tubes are made in needs to be 100% free of any dirt particles.....that's expensive so I'm sure today the rooms aren't as dirt and dust free as in the past.

In the late 70's early 80's Ei aquired most of the old Telefunken tooling to make signal tubes. They did make a line of tubes with said equipment. It was hit or miss. Many tubes were highly microphonic or failed prematurely. The one's that actually were free of the later didn't really sound like Telefunken tubes. Many people like the sound of Ei's if you can find good ones, but to say it sounded like a Tele, would be a fabrication.

There are lots of great sounding, long lasting tubes being made today. The consensus is they just don't quite sound the same as the old tubes. Power tubes are excellent today. Will there ever be a current EL34 that sounds quite as good as a 60's Mullard EL34? No, but some EL34's made today are excellent, same with 6L6's and 6V6's.

I suppose if one never goes down the rabbit hole of Old Stock tubes, they don't have anything to compare. Sticking with new tubes is certainly a great choice as well.

IMO, I personally haven't found any signal tubes made today that sound as good as the Old Stock tubes. Doesn't mean the tubes made today sound bad or one can't build a very respectable tube rig around the tubes made today.

Hope this helps

H9
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    Options
    Your favorite 6922’s?

I am all ears on these, and not afraid to try a pair (of tubes that is) that doesn’t sound much better does it?
  • heiney9
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Mine?

I don't have a piece of gear that uses them so I really can't say. Amperex were the go to when the Dodd stuff was popular, I think. 6922 was later to the party and not made specifically for audio IIRC. It's one of newer signal tubes (relatively speaking) 6922/6DJ8/ECC88 are the same tube. When I say newer I mean they weren't originally used for audio, that came later than 12AU7, 12AX7, etc.

Also, IIRC, there isn't as much variance between old stock tubes because unlike the other makers and because it was designed later, there aren't that many choices. Lots of labels for sure, but not that many variations like a 12AX7 or 12AU7, etc.

CCa's are probably the best of the best and highly, highly desirable. Very scarce these days.

I think it's also fair to say that overall much less of this type of tube was manufactured compared to the other 9 PIN miniatures, so that is also a disadvantage right out of the gate.

Beyond that I really don't have an experience.

Here's a good run down from a reliable source:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

H9

Pay close attention to the note at the bottom of Brent Jesse's page about Bugle Boy 6922/6DJ8's. Lots and lots of fakes going around.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    edited October 2023
    Options
    The 6922/6dj8 was developed by amperex in 1958, these tubes used an ultra fine wire stretched over a stiff frame ( that's why they are know as frame grid tubes). They can be more prone to microphonics. You have to be careful who you buy them from, I would buy them from Andy at vintage tube audio, he is honest and has been selling tubes for several decades, but you have to call him on the phone he is old school, and you have to be patient as it takes a while to receive the tubes.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Here you go Troy, I've bought from this guy twice, is very legit. My tubes eight in total (12au7) I bought were all tested good some were just under NOS others well above NOS. He has had some very nice tubes he has sold, communicates well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314861534677?hash=item494f35bdd5:g:yjwAAOSwTLNk9zC9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314861517266?hash=item494f3579d2:g:~e0AAOSwzgNk9zmp
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I use some 6922’s and have always preferred the Amperex by a large margin. I use 7308’s mostly in place of 6922, they are pricier in general however. Same with the 7308’s, I prefer Amperex by a wide margin. Not a fan of modern
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    I use some 6922’s and have always preferred the Amperex by a large margin. I use 7308’s mostly in place of 6922, they are pricier in general however. Same with the 7308’s, I prefer Amperex by a wide margin. Not a fan of modern

Amperex 7308s are an expensive habit. B)