Options
2»

Answers

• toolbelt
    toolbelt Posts: 124
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Mills...brighter? LOL

It's hard to say as I also replaced (upgraded?) with Dayton tweeters. They seem to have the same top end, but handle the midranges slightly better, imo.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
    And a friendly Labrador Retriever
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,294
    Options
    How did the Mills resistors make yours speakers sound brighter, when the scientific evidence should be to the contrary?
  • toolbelt
    toolbelt Posts: 124
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nah bro, placebo effect, you're full of ****. All resistors sound the same.

Only guessing here, but I would think CAPs have an even greater effect on sound, than resistors?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
    And a friendly Labrador Retriever
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    Options
    toolbelt wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nah bro, placebo effect, you're full of ****. All resistors sound the same.

Only guessing here, but I would think CAPs have an even greater effect on sound, than resistors?

Exactly
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Mills...brighter? LOL

Yeah my M5JR+ got brighter, whether it was with the SL2000 or the RD0198, after putting in the Mills resistors.

The RD0198-1 is the wrong tweeter for those speakers.

Mills and other high quality resistors are not as noisy, so the sound is cleaner, but cleaner isn't brighter unless the better resistors are exposing issues upstream.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 887
    Options
    Mills...brighter? LOL

Yeah my M5JR+ got brighter, whether it was with the SL2000 or the RD0198, after putting in the Mills resistors.

Mills and other high quality resistors are not as noisy, so the sound is cleaner, but cleaner isn't brighter unless the better resistors are exposing issues upstream.

I did the TL mod (I rebuilt crossover to Series 2 specs). It shouldn't have made anything brighter as it was just a cap bump (which would lower tweeter XO point) so my guess, like I mentioned, is that my poly switches were tripped which is definitely it because the treble was super dull compared to my RT3000p. Now it's brighter. My only guess is that the DCR of the inductor is slightly higher on the Series 2 but it's a colorful brightness so I actually like it.
  • F1nut
    Options
    So, you replaced the 12uF with a 13.5uF?

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,209
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Mills...brighter? LOL

I did the TL mod (I rebuilt crossover to Series 2 specs). It shouldn't have made anything brighter as it was just a cap bump (which would lower tweeter XO point) so my guess, like I mentioned, is that my poly switches were tripped which is definitely it because the treble was super dull compared to my RT3000p. Now it's brighter. My only guess is that the DCR of the inductor is slightly higher on the Series 2 but it's a colorful brightness so I actually like it.

It's a contour network, not a "cap bump". That combination of R in parallel with C is when you have a trailing off response with increasing frequency, to correct that. So in a sense it does make things brighter, compared to if it was just a resistor.

Oh sorry. You didn't do the TL "mod" per se. You did the built from scratch crossover that Polk came up with for the Series II.

Nevermind.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 887
    Options
    So, you replaced the 12uF with a 13.5uF?

13.6uF, yes. I ran two ClarityCap PX 250V 6.8uF caps in parallel.