Next upgrade to stereo system

Options
Hi everyone! Just back to the hobby and it's time to upgrade.

Currently in my 2 Ch. system I have a pair of Totem rainmakers, Parasound 2100 preamplifier, and Parasound 2125 V2 power amplifier. My sources are a project debut carbon turntable and a cheap chromecast audio (CCA).

I also have an Onkyo 6 cd carousel player, but I just finished ripping all my CDs in lossless format, and I want to move to only digital files and vinyl. I also use Apple Music but can't cast high res audio through the CCA. I might change to Tidal for high res music. By the way, I'm looking to stream music, not connecting my phone/tablet/pc to a DAC.

I'm looking for a new network player but I would also like to try new loudspeakers. For players, I'm leaning towards the Cambridge audio MXN10 since it has tidal connect, google cast and airplay, and also reproduces lossless files from USB. For loudspeakers, I'm really tempted by the Legend L100.

Now the questions. What would you update first, the loudspeakers or the player? By the way, I will keep the Totems for a while, to make comparisons. Is there any other suggestion for a streamer/network player in the price range of the MXN10?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    If you want a sound upgrade, I suggest adding at least 1 or 2 subwoofers. Small sealed designs fast smooth and musical would be my choice. The Rainmakers are incredible speakers but pair them with a sub?? DUDE whole new level of sound reproduction.

Believe it or not the new Sonos Port is pretty impressive sounding especially for $449.99 asking price.
    I would consider it for your system as your streamer. Don't get all caught up in the numbers, the Sonos is pretty damn wonderful and can basically stream ALL music streaming services including Apple Music.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dfledezma
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    If you want a sound upgrade, I suggest adding at least 1 or 2 subwoofers. Small sealed designs fast smooth and musical would be my choice. The Rainmakers are incredible speakers but pair them with a sub?? DUDE whole new level of sound reproduction.

Believe it or not the new Sonos Port is pretty impressive sounding especially for $449.99 asking price.
    I would consider it for your system as your streamer. Don't get all caught up in the numbers, the Sonos is pretty damn wonderful and can basically stream ALL music streaming services including Apple Music.

Thanks, indeed I'm also looking at the Sonos port.

by the way, I forgot to mention that I have an Epik Legend sealed sub with dual 12 in drivers paired to the Rainmakers. You're right, once you give them low end support is night and day.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    Options
    Just wanted to say, that Parasound Model 2100 preamp is an understated and overlooked piece of gear. I think it was overshadowed by the Halo P5. I have both, and find that I prefer the Model 2100 with an earlier Parasound D/AC-800 over the P5. Just a easier sounding, more pleasing listening experience. As in, easier to listen to the music instead of the gear.
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,213
    Options
    I would just add the streaming device and leave everything the same for now. Work out all the refinements with the streaming device and enjoy for at least a few months if not longer. When you change too many pieces at one time, it is harder to pinpoint the improvements. Make the speaker changes later.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    I would just add the streaming device and leave everything the same for now. Work out all the refinements with the streaming device and enjoy for at least a few months if not longer. When you change too many pieces at one time, it is harder to pinpoint the improvements. Make the speaker changes later.

Harder to pinpoint improvements and shortcomings.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • dfledezma
    dfledezma Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Now on to research what is the best streaming/network player for my needs.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    edited October 2023
    Options
    dfledezma wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »

Thanks, indeed I'm also looking at the Sonos port.

wow, whathifi was NOT impressed with the sound quality. No review site is perfect but I generally find them pretty reliable...and other professional reviews don't mention the sound quality

I really liked my Cambridge CXN V2 when I had it, great sound quality, tidal connect, roon, etc. and functions as a digital preamp if you want to try to bypass your parasound just for kicks to compare...they are on sale on Cambridge's ebay site all the time, great deal.

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer