Starting Out - Legend Series Set-Up Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• mikejedi0619
    Options
    I second the Parasound .. when budget allows. Good choice of Outlaw over a emotiva.

Never been impressed with the Emotiva amps. They sound 2D and too bright to me.

Outlaw amps are made by ATI. Great sound for the $$$.

Let us know how you like it :)
  • apparat
    apparat Posts: 23
    Options
    Ok, got my speakers. Amp is supposed to arrive tomorrow. 2xL800s, 2xL600s, L400 and 4xL900s. I feel like I got an amazing deal. So much so, I'd like to post the store, but not sure if that's allowable here. They made me a lifetime customer with the service.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    If they are an official dealer/retailer then I don't see why you couldn't list it. Even if it wasn't an authorized dealer you could still say it.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Here is a beast of a amp for you that will not break the bank…

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650025684-rotel-rb-1090-380-wpc-beast-excellent-condition/?utm_source=featured_ad&utm_medium=web&utm_content=front&utm_campaign=front-featured-ad-click&utm_term=650025684

My advice is to power your mains with this and let your AVR handle the rest for now. I run my L800’s on a pair of tube amps and let my AVR do the surround duty and it works out very well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I spit on receivers -- F1Nut

Just as a philosophical observation.....If you are looking at dropping in the neighborhood of 10K on speakers....don't cheap out on the electronics. Emotiva and Outlaw are good, entry level brands but you are investing in non-entry level speakers.

Feed them appropriately....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

^This^ Much better sound quality.

Yes, but 3x or more the cost.

Yes, but 100x or more better sound.

THIS
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • apparat
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If they are an official dealer/retailer then I don't see why you couldn't list it. Even if it wasn't an authorized dealer you could still say it.

Ok, so just a group of great guys here. - IQ Home Entertainment. They also have an Ebay with a lot of demo gear. They actually gave me new equipment for the demo sale.
  • apparat
    Options

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650025684-rotel-rb-1090-380-wpc-beast-excellent-condition/?utm_source=featured_ad&utm_medium=web&utm_content=front&utm_campaign=front-featured-ad-click&utm_term=650025684

My advice is to power your mains with this and let your AVR handle the rest for now. I run my L800’s on a pair of tube amps and let my AVR do the surround duty and it works out very well.

Thank you very much for this - I'm still trying to figure all of this out, and learning slowly along with making mistakes. I went ahead and got the Outlaw 7-channel amp. It's due to arrive tomorrow, but I'm sure that this is not the end of my buying.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you very much for this - I'm still trying to figure all of this out, and learning slowly along with making mistakes. I went ahead and got the Outlaw 7-channel amp. It's due to arrive tomorrow, but I'm sure that this is not the end of my buying.

That is a solid amp, but probably underpowered for your mains. that Rotel would make those L800s make some beautiful music. I had a RB-993 I believe, 3 channel 200 WPC driving some LSiM703s, and that combo was pretty magical...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • apparat
    Options
    Ok, just an update. I wasn't completely happy with the Outlaw, and I picked up a Marantz Amp 10 today. I'll have it set-up in the next few days when the wife is out somewhere else with the idea that she won't notice!

• apparat
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

That is a solid amp, but probably underpowered for your mains. that Rotel would make those L800s make some beautiful music. I had a RB-993 I believe, 3 channel 200 WPC driving some LSiM703s, and that combo was pretty magical...

Ok, just an update. I wasn't completely happy with the Outlaw, and I picked up a Marantz Amp 10 today. I'll have it set-up in the next few days when the wife is out somewhere else with the idea that she won't notice!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The truth is that until you have 300+ hours on the L800’s, swapping gear will only lead to frustration. They need a long break in period before anything truly good can come from them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson