Starting Out - Legend Series Set-Up Questions

Ok, I just recently retired and relocated back to the U.S. and after years of moving I wanted to start investing in my man cave. This is what I want to go with for the time being:
1) Front Stage - 2xL600 (L&R) and L400 center
2) Rear/Surrounds - I have old Mirage OMD5 that I've been moving around with.

Receiver - Denon - AVR-X4300H (yes, about 5 yrs old and I'll upgrade soon enough).

Questions:
I'm starting with the L600s for now, but when I move in a year to my house I plan to upgrade these to L900s, and move the L600s to the rear. With this in mind I wanted to ask about amps. I'm looking at Emotiva for the extra power and specifically this: a) BasX A3, b) BasX A6.
1) Would both of these be sufficient for the front channels considering that they would be powering L600s and the L400 now, but L900s and L400 later. Second,
2) Would it be be better or would there be a distinct difference between the A3 or bi-wiring the A6?

Thank you for the your assistance and perspective!
«1

Comments

  • Hi, I don’t know a lot about home theater, but one thing that stuck out to me in your post is the comment about switching to L900s for the front. The L900s are drop-in modules that go in the top of the L600, they are not a standalone speaker.
  • Yes, you are absolutely correct! I didn't sleep well last night anticipating my purchase and audio bliss. I meant L800s.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,366
    Honestly with the kind of money you're already investing, I'd look real hard at a Parasound multi-channel amp.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,622
    Agree with the pit. You will need a sub and for HT the SVS subs do well. I prefer a sealed SVS for HT as it is tighter, but if you prefer more boom then go ported.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,214
    apparat wrote: »
    Yes, you are absolutely correct! I didn't sleep well last night anticipating my purchase and audio bliss. I meant L800s.

    haha, awesome - I know this feeling. I think my first 6 months I got horrible sleep, up late at night, reading, posting, speculating, imagining - just completely obsessed and impatient to get gear in house to get dialed so I could enjoy music again.

    unfortunately, it never ended.
    I started getting better sleep and the obsession died down a little bit, but it took years. and it still rears up at times. you're pretty much hosed. Welcome!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,214
    F1nut wrote: »
    ...the pit
    lol we're using this moving forward.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Let me check with “The Pit” I’ll get back to ya. 🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    *****************************
  • Ok, I just ordered an Outlaw Audio Amp - 7000x. It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels. I think that should suffice for now, and it has both RCA and XLR connections. My current receiver only has RCA, but I think I'll be moving to an Emotiva dedicated processor vice a receiver once they get them in-stock again.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,931
    apparat wrote: »
    Ok, I just ordered an Outlaw Audio Amp - 7000x. It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels. I think that should suffice for now, and it has both RCA and XLR connections. My current receiver only has RCA, but I think I'll be moving to an Emotiva dedicated processor vice a receiver once they get them in-stock again.

    That amp should do nicely. Congrats!

    I have a Denon AVR-X4200W and I see no reason to upgrade for home theater. It does full 4K with Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos and can run 9.2 with Audyssey XT-32 calibration. Unless you're going 11.2 or 8K, what more do you need exactly?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

    Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    Ok, I just ordered an Outlaw Audio Amp - 7000x. It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels. I think that should suffice for now, and it has both RCA and XLR connections. My current receiver only has RCA, but I think I'll be moving to an Emotiva dedicated processor vice a receiver once they get them in-stock again.

    That amp should do nicely. Congrats!

    I have a Denon AVR-X4200W and I see no reason to upgrade for home theater. It does full 4K with Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos and can run 9.2 with Audyssey XT-32 calibration. Unless you're going 11.2 or 8K, what more do you need exactly?

    Not planning on the AVR upgrade immediately. That's down the line. Now, I just found Arendale 1723's and really torn between then and the Legend.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,366
    Looks like a great speaker!
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks like a great speaker!

    The Legends or Arendale 1723 or both? ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,622
    edited September 2023
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,366
    apparat wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks like a great speaker!

    The Arendale 1723 ;)

  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,214
    Viking64 wrote: »
    liuec31wraa4.jpg

    Kinda want to see this philum now. My brother says you can stream it on Tubi.
    I disabled signatures.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,247
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,622
    edited September 2023
    invalid wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

    ^This^ Much better sound quality.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,366
    edited September 2023
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    For reference, I'm a big Carver fan. I've owned both the TFM25 and TFM45. Both had been recapped and all update bulletins done by a tech very versed in the design and trained by the man himself Bob Carver. Loved them! The TFM45 is rated 375wpc and something like over 500wpc at 4ohms.
    My Aragon 8008bb is rated at 200wpc 8ohm and 400wpc @4ohm. It not only spanked the snot out of the Carver TFM45, it also blew out of the water my Adcom 5802 300wpc @8ohms that is also a HIGHLY regarded amp in its own right.
    So as you see it's not necessarily the WPC per say it is the design of the amp and other things you must take into consideration.
    The Aragon is a very articulating amplifier. You pick up the very small nuances of the music the picks on strings the drumsticks on the drums, the fingers on the pianos about everything that you like about music it excels at without fatigue. If I wanted to I could listen to it for hours at a very robust volume, and not feel like I just walked out of a loud rock concert. Now I will say this if it's a bad recording it also lets you hear how badly it is recorded so it can be a double edged sword.

    The Outlaw is the amp I personally would choose over the Emotiva. I personally have never had the Emotiva tickle my fancy so to speak for 2 channel stereo. I have heard them multiple times at the Axpona show in the big theater room and I think that is where they do excel at. Most not all but most home theater speakers and amps do tend to be tilted towards a brighter sound signature which IMHO is not what I like for music as it can get very ear fatiguing after a short while.

    My .02
  • invalid wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

    Yes, but 3x or more the cost.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

    ^This^ Much better sound quality.

    Yes, but 3x or more the cost.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    For reference, I'm a big Carver fan. I've owned both the TFM25 and TFM45. Both had been recapped and all update bulletins done by a tech very versed in the design and trained by the man himself Bob Carver. Loved them! The TFM45 is rated 375wpc and something like over 500wpc at 4ohms.
    My Aragon 8008bb is rated at 200wpc 8ohm and 400wpc @4ohm. It not only spanked the snot out of the Carver TFM45, it also blew out of the water my Adcom 5802 300wpc @8ohms that is also a HIGHLY regarded amp in its own right.
    So as you see it's not necessarily the WPC per say it is the design of the amp and other things you must take into consideration.
    The Aragon is a very articulating amplifier. You pick up the very small nuances of the music the picks on strings the drumsticks on the drums, the fingers on the pianos about everything that you like about music it excels at without fatigue. If I wanted to I could listen to it for hours at a very robust volume, and not feel like I just walked out of a loud rock concert. Now I will say this if it's a bad recording it also lets you hear how badly it is recorded so it can be a double edged sword.

    The Outlaw is the amp I personally would choose over the Emotiva. I personally have never had the Emotiva tickle my fancy so to speak for 2 channel stereo. I have heard them multiple times at the Axpona show in the big theater room and I think that is where they do excel at. Most not all but most home theater speakers and amps do tend to be tilted towards a brighter sound signature which IMHO is not what I like for music as it can get very ear fatiguing after a short while.

    My .02

    Thank you for the explanation and perspective!
  • Some you will probably laugh at what I run now (speakers) - It's been years since my last upgrade, but Mirage OMDs. To me they sound good, but I figure there advancements since I started running these.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,622
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

    ^This^ Much better sound quality.

    Yes, but 3x or more the cost.

    Yes, but 100x or more better sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,366
    apparat wrote: »
    Some you will probably laugh at what I run now (speakers) - It's been years since my last upgrade, but Mirage OMDs. To me they sound good, but I figure there advancements since I started running these.

    They had some very good speakers back in the day.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

    ^This^ Much better sound quality.

    Yes, but 3x or more the cost.

    Yes, but 100x or more better sound.

    No doubt, but at the moment with the speaker investment it will be outside of my budget for the time being.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,928
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

    ^This^ Much better sound quality.

    Yes, but 3x or more the cost.

    Yes, but 100x or more better sound.

    No doubt, but at the moment with the speaker investment it will be outside of my budget for the time being.

    What is the budget?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

    “When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,366
    That investment we completely understand. It certainly is a big out lay in frog skins.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,214
    invalid wrote: »
    apparat wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It puts out 200w at 4ohms all channels.
    So many make the mistake of only looking at wpc and a cheap price.

    Well between Outlaw Audio and Emotiva do you have a preference? :neutral: It's great that you comment, but perspective would be of better value, no?

    I would buy a used parasound amp before any of those two amps.

    Another +1 on this option if you're open to second-hand gear.

    If you are building a combo-use system and/or music performance is a consideration, you'll be doing yourself a favor to either spring for the better amp now, or hold off and save a bit more until you can.

    If you just want sound, you might be fine with the other options, but if you think you are or will become critical in system performance, you'll be wasting money going lesser up front. I made this mistake. I get it though, it can be way outside original budget expectations when you start learning more or gain exposure to a different level of gear and performance.

    Buy used, save money and get more system. There's good stuff out there - responsible, and meticulous owners.

    I disabled signatures.