Need your help 😭

Sir,
My name is Rick and I just joined. I've been following the forum for awhile, seems like all good people!!
I'm a retired Marine and I'm disabled. I can get around and do things and have been building playing with stereo gear since h.s.

I spent 9 yrs in Okinawa Japan 🗾 during the stereo war years 79-87. I also had the opportunity to work part time (for free) at a large civilian stereo store off base. (Great discount)!!
Your work is awesome 👍. And I don't mean to bother you. I'm gonna redo my crossovers on a set of rta 12c? I need your list of total components you would use! I'm working on the cabinets and can you please advise if the speaker rings are still available?

Thank you!

Semper Fi
God Bless 🙏

Comments

• I'm trying to sort this out. I just hit a button and unsubscribed myself to almost everything. I
  • Trying to get in touch with Geoff?? Someone stated he's probably going to have the list I need.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    Hello, Rick and good afternoon to you sir. While I will not be able to help you with your query, I wanted to drop in and say, "Thank you for your service".

What do you mean by speaker rings? Are you talking about the speaker surrounds for the woofer?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • First, thank you!! I've been seeing allot of Larry's lock rings instead of hurricane nuts. I see one post states the gentleman passed away, than I search again and see it's all four yrs old!?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    Are you telling me I just met a ghost the other day?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • That's why I'm asking lol!! I didn't want to say anything bad!!
  • Nightfall
    Larry is very much alive. Last I heard he isn't making the rings anymore. Could he do another run in the future? Possibly.

• I have a local shop here. Before COVID they were reasonable. If I order toder there would be a one time set up fee (understood). Now you get charged material by the preproject price not the finished piece. I found a website called Temu. It's an overseas junk store. It's very cheap but decent products. I ordered a two pack of speaker adapters for car doors. They cost $2.89. They will work perfect. They have hurricane nuts, a knockoff dynamat. I compared it to what I had really really good close. Two packs ten sheets $7/8 bucks.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,280
    edited September 2023
    The list you need is on the crossover. Take the values off the components on your current crossover and try to match them. The one thing you will need to do is get creative on the installation of the new caps and resistors. The modern poly caps will be significantly larger than the mylar and electrolytic caps currently populating your boards now.
    There's a rather large value cap that more than one (I believe) owner used a Mundorf cap in that position.
    The current favorites for caps are
    Sonicap
    Clarity (several price tiers)

For resistors you have
    Vashay Mills
    Jantzan and maybe Mundorf.

If you have good clean power, not a midfi receiver then most of use remove the poly switches and replace with a 1/2 ohm resistors.
    All of the resistors should be replaced with 10 or 12 watt resistors. The 5watt resistors while they worked the higher wattage resistors are cheap insurance.

Most of the new caps will 200v instead of the 50-100v that are in there now. Try very hard to stay away from higher that 200v caps, they're already going to be significantly larger at the 200v rating so buy a 400v cap is going to almost double the size again.

You should also glue the magnets to help keep them from sliding/slipping and pinching the voice coil and presenting another problem. The best we have found is the JB Weld two part mix gray epoxy. Popsicle/craft sticks are your friend for this. It's tedious and time consuming but necessary. Do one side of the magnet one day and they other side the next day.

Welcome to the forum
  • I see allot of the 27uf listings go either 165 or 250? And I'm still l9oking
  • With being in and out of the VA hospital does anybody have a written list of the capacitors and resistors that I need so I don't screw things up. This will be the first time I've done this. I'm good until posts start telling me to stack in line and in such direction. Im Really don't want to order and return, reorder etc. The rta12c are the only speakers I have right now.

Semper Fi
    God Bless 🙏
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2023
    RicksPolks wrote: »
    I see allot of the 27uf listings go either 165 or 250? And I'm still l9oking

Are you looking at electrolytic or poly film caps.

https://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/gen-sonicap-27-uf-200vdc-p-462?osCsid=b2d1lcthvglvb4tguka0ilpv87

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/38755/polk-audio-speaker-wiring-schematics-amp-more-all-models-except-sda#latest

The problem is Polk changed a lot of things on the fly that was not reflected in some schematics. Pictures will help tremendously for us to help you compile a list.

We need a picture of the crossovers
  • ekgyp2ubt8zz.jpg
    ajwlfvnjpawz.jpg
    b61cxs2bd8vj.jpg
    bwla9abb801z.jpg
    ml8p88oj2ts3.png

Ok that's done!!
    Thanks for the help, I don't have to go back to the hospital until Monday so hopefully I can sort this out.

Sorry for all the trouble.

Rick
  • RicksPolks wrote: »
    ekgyp2ubt8zz.jpg
    ajwlfvnjpawz.jpg
    b61cxs2bd8vj.jpg
    bwla9abb801z.jpg
    ml8p88oj2ts3.png

Ok that's done!!
    Thanks for the help, I don't have to go back to the hospital until Monday so hopefully I can sort this out.

Sorry for all the trouble.

Rick

Don't want to see the rest of your search history....
  • Sorry, I didn't even know I clicked on it till now. Won't happen again.
  • Thanks guys. You are an inspiration to me to get motivated and do what I've been wanting to do for a while.

Sorry I upset people with my picture post. Wasn't to make anyone mad.

I'm heading back to my other speakers forum.

Semper Fi
    God Bless 🙏
    Rick
    USMC retired
  • pitdogg2
    Ok the point of the xo pictures was to have you take pictures of the components so we could get the values off of them. The flash or sunlight glare didn't help your cause.
    So if you would try again or just take inventory of the values of the components we could help you get some prices.
    You also stated that you've never done this before. So if you have never soldered or if you do not have a solder station then you may want to have someone tackle this for you.

So at this point the only thing we know for sure is you have a 2ohm 5watt resistor and a 50 volt non-polar electrolytic cap.

And you look at El Chapo's wife😉
  • Pitdogg

Thanks for your help. I can solder all day long. I'm punching out. The post was because she just got out of jail.
  • Nightfall
    Daaang El Chapo nice work

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    RicksPolks wrote: »
    The post was because she just got out of jail.

So she's available. Sweet!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    With his tentacles? Have fun and nice knowing you!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    That's one of those look, but don't touch things in life. I'm talking about her.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.