Time to let the Dynaco PAS4 preamp go

Options
2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    4-6 weeks is a short time frame in all actuality. Many around my parts are 6-8 months if not longer before it will see a bench.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    I have a Rotel you can use but beings I'm on the West Coast shipping would probably be prohibited. Plus it's probably going to suck compared to what you have.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    Where you at @muncybob?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    Thanks for the offer but if shipping is going to be prohibitive I may just look for a small used pre and only listen to cds for a while.

I'm in northcentral PA.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    edited October 2023
    Options
    New Cronus “Dark” just announced, FYI.

http://rogueaudio.com/New.htm#newstop

n2pyik7jtqf1.png
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Dang it has $100 in Cardas binding post, Sweeet !!
  • muncybob
    Options
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I question why Rouge didn't go with the KT150 tubes in the dark ?
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »

Only the first couple paragraphs are specific to the “dark” model. Everything after that they mention as pertaining to the “new” version are present in the base CM3, like the phono upgrade, triode/ultralinear switch, etc.

Can’t wait for the upgrade costs to be published!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I question why Rouge didn't go with the KT150 tubes in the dark ?

Because they couldn't see.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Right🤦🏻‍♂️
  • muncybob
    Options
    So, to get me some tunes while the Dynaco is in the shop....I have come across a Carver C-2 Preamplifier and M-200t Amplifier. The amp I really don;t need (unless it's more worthy than either of my Parasounds), but the preamp will fill the void. So, any info on either unit and what could I expect to get from a sale of the power amp?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Maybe $250-300 for the amp. Looking around I see those two as a pair for $500-600
  • muncybob
    Options
    They are available locally $300 for the pair. Gonna see if they can be auditioned. I'm thinking of selling them once my preamp is returned unless I hear an improvement.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Forgot to ask, how do I determine if the amp is common ground?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Good question. Ohm meter on the negative binding post.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 113
    Options
    The M-200t doesn’t work with SDA speakers it has an inverted channel. At least the version I have doesn’t work properly. I have the owners manual somewhere if you need a copy.

John
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    JCL wrote: »
    The M-200t doesn’t work with SDA speakers it has an inverted channel. At least the version I have doesn’t work properly. I have the owners manual somewhere if you need a copy.

John

I too wondered, I knew the 500t was like that. I was completely unsure of the 200t, good call.
  • muncybob
    Options
    So even though it shows continuity between neg poles, it's a no go?
  • muncybob
    Options
    The preamp has a Line Out for my power amp. Then it has 2 other "spare" outs. According to the owner manual they can be used to feed another amp to drive other speakers, feed a signal to a tape recorder, etc.

If I am understanding this, these "outs" would be fixed and not suitable to connect a sub that doesn't have speaker connections.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    So even though it shows continuity between neg poles, it's a no go?

It's not common ground with an inverted channel IIRC.
  • JCL
    Options
    I believe that Carver switched their design during the years so not all of the amps had the inverted channel/amp. I just recall going through this 15 or 20 years ago with my m200t.

John
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • JCL
    Options
    Bob,
    Also I forgot to mention I have an NAD 1130 preamp that I am not going to be using for several months if you just want to borrow it. It’s pretty bare bones all RCA connections. I can check to see if it’s still ok since I haven’t used it in about 15 years. I should have the original box and manuals also. If you are in PA I will be going out to state college next weekend so shipping from there would probably be fairly inexpensive.
  • muncybob
    Options
    John, that's an offer I would have taken you up on 3 hours ago. I bought the Carver pieces but appreciate the offer.

So for giggles I checked the positive posts on the amp and they too showed continuity. Is that normal?
  • JCL
    Options
    Yes that is normal. It is common ground, but there is an inverted amp or channel or something. I cannot remember, but my questions on SDA STS 2.3 setup from years ago may have the information in the threads. I believe I talked with Ken Swager (sp) at the time.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Since I don't need the Carver power amp for the 2Bs, I think I'll see how it sounds with my outdoor speakers only. I doubt it will be an improvement over the HCA1000 but it will be interesting to try it out.

Regarding the Carver preamp compared to the Dynaco....the Carver is very "sterile". Defeating the tone controls, it sounds a bit bright for my taste. Need to take care when increasing volume, only takes 1/4 as much a turn to get the same volume the Dynaco would allow. Without a remote, this concerns me on nights when some drinks are going down. Still, it will suffice while my old amp is in the shop. Just wish it had 2 variable main outs so I could use the sub.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,378
    Options
    Just get some cheap Y splitters from Amazon.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    Options
    Yea, I was thinking that too. Not ideal, but better than no sub I guess.