A small room, only 416.5 square inches

Options
Friends, in a small room, only 416.5 square inches, should I really settle for the STEREO structure (2.1, 2 front speakers and 1 subwoofer)? Or can I try an ATMOS 5.1 or even 7.1 setup?

Answers

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,700
    Options
    416.5 square inches is less that 3 square feet. If you give the room dimensions in feet x feet, someone might be able to answer your question more accurately.
  • remomoreira
    Options
    113,5 square feet.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Friends, in a small room, only 416.5 square inches, should I really settle for the STEREO structure (2.1, 2 front speakers and 1 subwoofer)? Or can I try an ATMOS 5.1 or even 7.1 setup?

jwcyimmrp7p2.jpeg

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,700
    Options
    Please select all of the images with a castle in them to prove you are a human.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    Options
    Building the coveted half bath rig... A sure sign you have made it
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Jesse's coffin is probably 416 square inches if you stood it up on end. I wonder what sound system he's using. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    10ft by 11ft is a fairly common size for a spare bedroom in the US. I have a pair of Wharfedale Lintons and a Polk LSiM704C center speaker at a house with a room/den that size. It's mainly used for watching movies and TV. No need for a subwoofer and no need for an Atmos setup for my purposes but in-ceiling and in-wall speakers could be used. It would be overkill in a room that size but it could be made to work.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Yea I had a 10x11 room in my last house, I wouldn’t do a full 7.1 system in them but you could do 5.1. I had multiple 2 channel systems in that room, the biggest being Focal Aria 926’s on 200 watts each and it sounded great!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • ken brydson
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Jesse's coffin is probably 416 square inches if you stood it up on end. I wonder what sound system he's using. :D

Soundbar silly..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Soundbar silly..

Never!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sm1th5
    sm1th5 Posts: 14
    Options
    5.1.2 atmos even in the smallest of rooms.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options

I mean you’re free to try anything man! Don’t know if it would be worth it…is the space primarily for movies and tv or 2 channel music? I think you might be surprised how good 2 or 2.1 can sound (even for movies) if the equipment is quality.

I definitely would NOT go for atmos. You really don’t have atmos until you go 5.1.4, and that seems ridiculous in that room. But some high end cars have surround sound with SACD/DVD-A capabilities, and cabin gain is a great thing: a relatively small subwoofer could still pressurize that room…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer