Best Buy will no longer offer or renew Tidal subscriptions.

Options
Dear Brian,

We want to let you know about a change that impacts your annual Tidal subscription through Best Buy. Beginning 9/28/2023, Best Buy will no longer offer or renew Tidal subscriptions.

But you can still enjoy Tidal and retain all your streaming history and content by subscribing directly with them.

Though they will no longer offer annual plans, to make the transition easier, Tidal is offering you 30 days of free service when you subscribe using the following steps before 9/28/2023.

I received this today. I am going to miss the hifi plus for 130 a year!
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,398
    Options
    What the....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    I said the same thing when I got the email LOL. Tidal also doesn't have yearly subscriptions. Monthly only. At least Qobuz gives you a little break on a yearly subscription. I might need to rethink keeping both.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,197
    Options
    I chose not to renew mine thru Best Buy at $119.99 the other day and didn't even know about this. The TIDAL app on the Squeezebox Touch doesn't handle high res playback which as we know is mixed up with MQA money grab in TIDAL.

Qobuz almost always has what I want.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,099
    Options
    Tidal is now offering flac, tidal max that is the higher bit rate, separate of mqa
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Hmm. You'd think they would've notified me since I've been a customer for years. But anyways, apparently from what I can glean, they are not yet allowing third party apps access to the non MQA high res files, for whatever brilliant reasons they have.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,094
    Options
    Hmm. You'd think they would've notified me since I've been a customer for years

I had an issue with Tidal, but there is no one to talk to ... just email correspondence. Well, isn't that satisfying. If they were the only ones with this biz model, they wouldn't survive, but they ALL do it

customer loyalty incentives and/or retention are a thing of the past. This is exactly why you should shop for all services every couple of years (ALL types of insurance, cable, etc. . . . WTF ANY recurring charge for that matter)

I KNOW it's a PITA but NEEDS to be done

I try real hard to not have any recurring dings on my accounts. It adds up super fast
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Open tray, place disc, press play...ah music.

I have a yearly subscription to that...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    edited August 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Open tray, place disc, press play...ah music.

Kids…complaining, homework…yelling, water…boiling over, dinner…burning, Alexa, play some GD music! **** me!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Tidal premium is $11 with military discount for me Spotify $10.99 for the wife. Got both phones loaded with plenty of tunes to play in the offline mode. Getting on a flight to So Cal in a couple of hours, not having to rely on the planes entertainment is priceless.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • erniejade
    Options
    Hmm. You'd think they would've notified me since I've been a customer for years. But anyways, apparently from what I can glean, they are not yet allowing third party apps access to the non MQA high res files, for whatever brilliant reasons they have.

If you have it through Best Buy and haven't received the email, maybe check your spam folder in case it went there?
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Oh. I was notified by Best Buy that it was coming up for auto renewal, which I give them kudos for.

TIDAL didn't notify me of the availability of high res files independent of MQA, let alone provide any details on how many titles would be available, both now and in the future.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rooftop59
    edited August 2023
    Options
    This must be very recent as my tidal family subscription renewed July 21st and I haven’t received any further notice, but tidal subscriptions are gone from Best Buy’s website…darn.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • erniejade
    Options
    Below is what I received from them. I wonder why it was just mine then if others got to renew?

Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 03:13:45 PM CDT
    Subject: Important notice regarding your Tidal subscription.

View: Web
    BEST BUY GEEK SQUAD

Dear Brian,

We want to let you know about a change that impacts your annual Tidal subscription through Best Buy. Beginning 9/28/2023, Best Buy will no longer offer or renew Tidal subscriptions.

But you can still enjoy Tidal and retain all your streaming history and content by subscribing directly with them.

Though they will no longer offer annual plans, to make the transition easier, Tidal is offering you 30 days of free service when you subscribe using the following steps before 9/28/2023.

To subscribe with Tidal:
    1. Visit the Tidal website using this link
    a. Note: If you do not use this link, you will not be able to receive the 30-day offer 2. Select your desired tier of service, HiFi or HiFi Plus.
    3. Enter your payment details, accept the terms, and continue.
    4. Enjoy uninterrupted service with your streaming history and content intact.
    The free 30 days will begin immediately after transferring your plan to Tidal.

After transferring your plan to Tidal, you will need to cancel your Best Buy plan by calling us at 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289) and receive a prorated refund for the unused remainder of your term.

If you choose not to transition your Best Buy subscription TID003009672893615 to Tidal, your subscription would no longer be active after 9/28/2023 and we would give you a prorated refund for the unused portion of your subscription.

To manage your Best Buy plan, visit your Membership, Subscriptions and Protection page online.

If you have any questions, call us at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289).

Sincerely,
    Your Best Buy Customer Care Team

All subscriptions directly through Tidal are subject to Tidal’s current pricing.

• VR3
    Options
    Is the link legit?

I subscribe this way and didn't receive anything
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • erniejade
    Options
    The link was legit. The Tidal app opened up and everything.
  • erniejade
    Options
  • VR3
    Options
    Odd timing. I literally received an email from. Best buy saying they renew my subscription
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    This is the email I got. They probably would've notified me about the ending of their offering after it auto renewed and I would've gotten the pro-rated refund.

George, thank you for being a valued Best Buy® customer. We're reaching out to let you know that the subscription* shown below will automatically renew on 08/22/2023.

No action is required, we’re just letting you know. If you would like to turn off your auto-renewal or cancel, simply visit your profile page or call 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) before 5:00 p.m. CST on 08/21/2023.

Thank you for choosing Best Buy
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • treitz3
    Options
    No email for me so far.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    Options
    So strange. I wonder if they are going by how long you had it? Reading through a bit in Reedit, I am glad to see it was not just me but, it still stinks!
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Best Buy definitely removed tidal from their site. You can no longer purchase a new subscription that way. It is just be interesting to see how they handle subscriptions that they recently renewed…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • erniejade
    Options
    I got a prorated refund quickly from Best Buy.
  • VR3
    Options
    Have you reached out to other Brian's to see if they were renewed it canceled? Could be a movement in progress
  • bem
    bem Posts: 102
    Options
    My Best Buy subscription was up due for renewal on Aug 18 and I got a notice saying that my on file credit card would be charged. I get an Email from my credit card company at 10:30pm on Aug 17 asking me to confirm that I recognize the attempted Best Buy charge of $119. They did this because I hadn’t used my charge card for quite some time. I confirmed that it was a legit charge and then went to bed thinking that Best Buy would just re run the transaction. The next day I checked my BB account and it said that my Tidal subscription had expired. Long story short, I spent an hour on phone with customer service reps from 4 different departments, the last one being with someone from overseas. After a frustrating conversation I had no success in getting BB to renew my Tidal subscription even though it hadn’t expired yet when I contacted them on Aug 18.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Damn. I got the email.

Not sure if Tidal is worth the $19 (Hi-Fi Plus) a month for the 10 or 12 extra songs I listen to that they offer over Qobuz. Qobuz sounds better on many selections and $19 a month just seems like a waste of money to me for what they offer. I don't really get the sense that I would be getting a good "value" at that price. That's basically $230 per year!

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more I think Tidal will be out of my life come 9/28.

Tom
  • bem
    bem Posts: 102
    Options
    I’m starting to think the same way about paying about $20/month for Tidal. The loss of a few music selections in the Tidal catalog that aren’t in the Qobuz catalog aren’t enough reason to justify the additional $100 per year over Qobuz. Looks like I’ll be moving to Quobuz for a while. The Best Buy deal was pretty sweet while it lasted.
  • erniejade
    Options
    I personally think Qobuz sounds better but, the Tidal app is better. It doesn't show single songs as albums.

I wish Tidal did do a yearly discount like Qobuz does.

Also, thanks everyone for confirming it's not just me on the frustration. I feel this might loose some Tidal users especially not offering a one year at a reduced price.

Bem, sometimes the stuff in new on Tidal will eventually show up in Qobuz. Not everything but a lot does.
  • rooftop59
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I never got the damn email, but today I was axed. Phuucck!!!

Now to decide what to do…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • VR3
    Options
    So my tidal subscription was also not renewed but in a surprise turn of events... It still works perfect

So......... :p