RTi6 & RTi4 Rubber Surrounds

Options
Keiko
Keiko Posts: 764
Asking for an opinion concerning the rubber surrounds and dust caps on these models. A few months ago I had to replace the dust caps on my RTI6's because the rubber had completely dried out and crumbled to the touch.

Anyway, the surrounds are intact, but don't feel as supple when I first got them. Same with my 4s. So, my question is this, is it safe to use something like Armor All Protectant on the surrounds and dust caps of the speakers? I could replace them and customer support has advised me that replacement speakers run at $60.00 bucks a pop for the drivers. Not too bad, but funds I don't have in our budget right now. Anyway, just trying to preserve what I got and trying to make it last. If anyone knows of a better product for this purpose, hit me.

TIA,

Mike

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Jstas can probably recommend something. Armor All isn't it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Keiko
    Options
    Thanks Jesse, I'll send him a PM.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    On the vintage butyl surrounds, Ive been using wintergreen oil cut down to 70% by isopropyl alc. Works great to soften them back from dry-aging.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Keiko
    edited August 2023
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    On the vintage butyl surrounds, Ive been using wintergreen oil cut down to 70% by isopropyl alc. Works great to soften them back from dry-aging.

Thanks chopper. Do you have a link to the product and how you're using it?

• xschop
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You can use any 100% pure essential oil product. It only takes a couple mL to do a pair of MW's using a small brush to apply after dilution of isopropyl alc. Apply a wet sheen then simply let air-dry.

https://www.amazon.com/Artizen-Wintergreen-Essential-100-NATURAL/dp/B06Y2H5C3D/ref=mp_s_a_1_19_maf_2?crid=3DBJMBK413483&keywords=w intergreen+oil&qid=1692955953&sprefix=wintergreen+oil%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-19
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    The dust caps on the drivers cracking appears really common on the RTi series...

You folks wouldn't know if this affects the RTxxxp series now, would you?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Isopropanol (IPA) is widely used as a drying solvent and cleaning agent. A drying solvent is not something one should apply to butyl rubber.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    I'd be interested in what @Jstas recommends, as well.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • xschop
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Isopropanol (IPA) is widely used as a drying solvent and cleaning agent. A drying solvent is not something one should apply to butyl rubber.

Can you explain that science?
  • F1nut
    Options

Can you explain that science?

Really...LOL

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Really. Is it the solvent or solute in this application? And why?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Exposing rubber to rubbing alcohol infrequently can cause discoloration and deterioration, but prolonged use of isopropyl alcohol will wear down and eventually destroy it.
    'Nuff said.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Rubber referred to there is latex. Butyl is not latex. You still haven't answered the basic question. Solute or solvent in this application, Bill Nye?
  • F1nut
    Options
    No, it refers to rubber. Latex is actually pretty resistant to isopropyl.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Little dodgy today, chief.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You can keep ignoring the facts, but it isn't a good reflection on you.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited August 2023
    Options
    It's pretty easy to look up chemical compatibility of rubbers and other materials: 1 is the highest rating in this chart.

lozxgpjb4fdu.jpg

45nehkrhxlh5.jpg

And:

5kg19svagoyn.jpg
    qj93fx12lul9.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    ^^^Facts are hard to embrace nowadays^^^
  • F1nut
    Options
    ^^^Facts are hard to embrace nowadays^^^

You'd know all about that.

President of Club Polk

• Keiko
    Options
    WoW! Lots of comments @0930hrs as I wake up reading this thread. And yeah, I thought about the use of alcohol on the surrounds and to be honest, I'm reluctant to go with that. I won't even use alcohol based cleaners on my records. Nothing personal xchop. I'm going to wait on John's recommendation since he's very knowledgeable in this area. If he gives the GO on this method then I'll reconsider.

Aloha B)
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Isopropyl Alcohol is OK for continuous contact in an O-ring seal. It couldn't possibly deteriorate a surround where it is free to evaporate in pretty short order.

Methyl Salicylate is "Fair" or "Minor to Moderate Effect", so go easy on the quantity as I believe xschop suggested. I wouldn't submerge it in the stuff by any means:

bfghqpumgz3d.jpg

3212vmular42.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    WoW! Lots of comments @0930hrs as I wake up reading this thread. And yeah, I thought about the use of alcohol on the surrounds and to be honest, I'm reluctant to go with that. I won't even use alcohol based cleaners on my records. Nothing personal xchop. I'm going to wait on John's recommendation since he's very knowledgeable in this area. If he gives the GO on this method then I'll reconsider.

Aloha B)

I'll let nutter off the hook, since he didn't answer, but gaslight.

In this application the 50\50 mix of 70% isopropyl alc. to wintergreen oil renders it the solute by standard chemistry definition. In layman's terms it just thins the oil. No chemical reaction/attack occurs during the 15-20 min drying process as the methyl salicylate infuses into the butyl rubber, softening it.
    Stoichiometry is not part of the woke science today.

I've done this to quite a few MW's now and have only seen good results.

• Keiko
    Options
    I just read a thread on audiogon and this is what Albert Von Schweikert recommends.

https://www.parts-express.com/CAIG-RBR100L-25C-Rubber-Cleaner-and-Rejuvenator-25mL-341-287?quantity=1

PDF is here: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/341-287--caig-rbr100l-25c-msds.pdf

audiogon thread is here: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/treatment-for-rubber-speaker-surrounds

I'm still going to wait on Jstas to get back to me. When I replaced the dust caps on my 6's his advice and expertise was solid and appreciated.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    No disrespect to Albert but I would be reticent to try that since a main ingredient is Mineral Oil and that is not recommended for Butyl Rubber.

moeze125l0sh.jpg

cjax2pkaoncx.jpg

lg462nhjento.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Keiko
    Options
    No disrespect to Albert but I would be reticent to try that since a main ingredient is Mineral Oil and that is not recommended for Butyl Rubber.

moeze125l0sh.jpg

cjax2pkaoncx.jpg

lg462nhjento.jpg

Noted and thank you. And Keiko thanks everyone for their input.
  • F1nut
    Options

Aloha B)

In this application the 50\50 mix of 70% isopropyl alc. to wintergreen oil renders it the solute by standard chemistry definition. In layman's terms it just thins the oil. No chemical reaction/attack occurs during the 15-20 min drying process as the methyl salicylate infuses into the butyl rubber, softening it.

No need to answer your pointless question.

Good results...LOL. How many years has your slurry been on them?

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options

Aloha B)

Long enough to ameliorate the dry-rot.😉
  • Keiko
    Options

Won't ship to Hawaii, bastages! >:)

• xschop
    Options
    Jeff Bezos and Oprah will hand deliver once they've closed on all the firesales there.
  • F1nut
    Options

Aloha B)

Long enough to ameliorate the dry-rot.😉

So, a few days then. Got ya.

President of Club Polk