Unusable discount conundrum. Or is it a dilemma?

Options
Background:

Participated in the 'help Polk get some data via a focus-group-kind-of-thing'.

Reward to be a 50%-off purchase discount (in some form) when done.

Result:

Polk got some neat perspectives from a range of people.

Reward has a very limited window.

Problem:

No one knew when the group would start, how long it would last, nor when it would end. I think most if us thought we'd get a voucher of some kind, and decided to start saving for a big purchase in the coming year. Me? I had a pair of L800 as my goal. (Or R700, if I missed my savings target.)

Everything wrapped up the end of July, and everyone got a code that expires at the end of August.

From what I can gather, quite a few won't be able to use their codes by the expiration. I know I'm one of them.

And, if something is out-of-stock? That's another issue.

Conundremma (new word!):

Let the discount evaporate, or?

Sure, I *could* charge something, but I try very hard to be responsible. Given everything, from floods in Beijing, drama in Ukraine, and [insert our new reality of weekly apocalyptic drama here] it would be foolish of me to charge a big purchase like that without having the money saved up.

Having the discount go poof is a waste. I offered it to a couple of friends, but they're not flush with fun money, either.

So what to do?

Raffle?

Virtual Bingo?

Barter/trade?

I wasn't going to post and just let it fade away, but that didn't feel right =(

Maybe I should've posted as a survey so I could tally votes for what to do...
The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Seems like you should be able to get some kind of exception or extension. That would be the fair thing to do.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I'm not seeing what the issue is here.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    That is discombobulated.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm not seeing what the issue is here.

He wasted his time doing the " Polk Audio survey".
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited August 2023
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    He wasted his time doing the " Polk Audio survey".

Good G/god(s), the opposite.

It was neat. Met some nice people. Saw a member or 2 in a different light. Got some great insight about more than just Polk stuff. Super glad to help give Polk data they can use. Nice to be able to share all my thoughts *and* know someone making decisions will read them. Feel like I got to give some ideas back to the mothership. Hope it all gels into usable data.

The discount might be a waste, for me (and others), sure. The experience was not.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Karma the code
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    You might try asking Polk to extend the use by date as that is a ridiculously short time frame.

I have to say, judging by some of the things you've done speaker wise I find it a bit concerning that you were part of the focus group...LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    Extension: Others asked (about that and more), but no response to the group from on high.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    So karma it if you can't use it then. Not sure why you made a 300 word post instead of just doing that to begin with.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Because putting it out on the forum might get a response from Polk, when previous attempts from other members in the group went unanswered? I'm sure he isn't the only one in the group who feels the way he does.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    So karma it if you can't use it then. Not sure why you made a 300 word post instead of just doing that to begin with.

Allow me to summarize …
    Background:

Participated in the 'help Polk get some data via a focus-group-kind-of-thing'.

Reward to be a 50%-off purchase discount (in some form) when done.

Result:

Polk got some neat perspectives from a range of people.

*COMPLAIN*

Problem:

*COMPLAIN*

*COMPLAIN*

*COMPLAIN*

*COMPLAIN*

Conundremma (new word!):

*COMPLAIN*

*COMPLAIN*

*COMPLAIN*

So what to do?

Raffle?

Virtual Bingo?

Barter/trade?

*COMPLAIN*

Maybe I should've posted as a survey so I could tally votes for what to do...

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    I'd suggest that we sacrifice a virgin, but good luck with that ! 👩‍🌾
    Sal Palooza
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 111
    Options
    From what I understood they were still looking into it. The surveys contact left Polk so it may take more time to get a response. I enjoyed answering the survey questions. I think they should have given more of an idea on timeframe for the participants. I went ahead and used the discount since they basically had what I wanted and was ready to buy.

John
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    JCL wrote: »
    From what I understood they were still looking into it.

Heyo, fellow question answerer!

They're on... week 3 of waiting, I think. I hope they give a definitive shout out for them soon.

Really happy some people were able to take advantage of it. I think anyone who got the R700 or L600 were big winners. Seemed to be a popular choice. I didn't see if anyone actually snagged the L800. I think at least 2 participants had them already. (One of them was really nice in a side conversation.)

The way the process was set up was... kind of wonky (as some remarked on).

But, again, I am thankful to have participated for the good of the brand. Nice to contribute =)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I'm sure your contributions were valuable.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    I thought that the one I got for the first focus group was good for a year. I guess I should look again, eh?
    :|
  • msg
    Options

Shut up Drew.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I thought that the one I got for the first focus group was good for a year. I guess I should look again, eh?
    :|
    you were in on that, Mark?!? I was late-selected, but I just didn't have the time to put in for thoughtful contributions, so I had to drop out. still, I only earned half-karma. not that I'm trying to earn karma, because trying to earn karma is the wrong way to go about earning karma. ahem.

Mark signed up with multiple accounts. All new Polk speakers are going to look like Altecs.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Can I have the coupon code?
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    Why not use the code tomorrow impulsively and buy a pair of T15s at half price?

Then you can mod them using all those mods you did on your SDAs and see how the sound turns out. Maybe you'll turn an already good pair of bookshelves into a crazy value buy.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Randy/Maine
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    dx3lxo04vk1v.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Have you ever done a karma giveaway here before? I can explain to you how it works.
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I saw it done here more than once the past 14 years, but thank you for your humblebrag =)

This thread helped me complete Part 2 of my process, much appreciated.

qzw6cbxydofn.jpeg
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Heads side:
    I think a lot of people would be very happy with your current setups.

Tails side:
    Go for it! You only go around once and there are no do overs.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I used mine but, I asked the question if I don't like what I received, can i still use polks return policy and get another code for something else. It makes it a bit harder to decide since I cannot go to a shop and hear what I am instered in.

At first they said yes but, then the person who said yes is no longer with Polk so, I am waiting on another answer.

What I did order will be here tomorrow actually.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    Bought a new sub didn't you ?

:D:D:D
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I saw it done here more than once the past 14 years, but thank you for your humblebrag =)

So, I take it that is another no? Never done one? Well, no time like the present to do your first karma post after 14 years and 590 valuable posts.
  • msg
    Options
    Get off 'im Drew, he's not giving you his code. You got enough speakers now, anyway. Now beat it, stalker, lol
    I disabled signatures.