Old Windows XP laptop

Options
Does anyone have an older working laptop with Windows XP they want to part with? I'm wanting to do automotive computer programming (performance tune upgrades) and the hardware I run is not supported by Windows 10 which is what I'm currently running.

Thanks.
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Does anyone have an older working laptop with Windows XP they want to part with? I'm wanting to do automotive computer programming (performance tune upgrades) and the hardware I run is not supported by Windows 10 which is what I'm currently running.

Thanks.

Of course, I'm sure you have specific reasons for wanting a physical piece of hardware...

However, have you considered running a Windows XP virtual machine on your Windows 10 machine?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    ^ good ideer 💡

I do this for a motorcycle tuning application with VMware Fusion on an old MBP.

How are you going to get him an XP .iso and key?

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited August 2023
    Options
    some of us probably have WinXP distro disks (physical media) someplace. ;)
    I can definitely come up with WinNT disks. B)
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    I might have a key somewhere. The ISO downloads are on Microsofts website I believe... you can reuse the same key as many times as you want.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Got it taken care of. Thanks everyone!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    I ran into pretty much the exact same issue. I have Volvo's software (VADIS) and DICE interface box that would only run on Win 7 pro. I was able to set up a laptop running Win 10 Home with VM Ware virtual machine running Win 7 Pro and it works perfectly. It even connects to the DICE interface box so I can run diagnostics and record real-time data through the OBD2 port.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601