RTi4 crossovers

Options
One of my units suddenly stopped working completely, almost like it blew a fuse. I confirmed its a speaker issue by swapping speakers. I checked all connections, cleaned all terminals etc but no go. I use these mainly for watching tv at relatively low volume. The crossover has capacitors and resistors, etc, however some of these are dedicated for feeding either the tweeter or midrange only (but not both), so I'm wondering if anybody knows which electrical components feed a signal to BOTH speakers, as I have no sound at all. I checked continuity for the signal in and everything is good. There are white resistors marked 5W 2R5(ohm)J and 5W 3R3(ohm)J and I'm getting zero reading at the latter one's leads. Do components need to be removed from the board to take readings or can I measure them in place? Any help appreciated.
Polk RTIA3 Fronts
Polk CSIA4 Center
Polk PSW Sub
Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
And a friendly Labrador Retriever

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,831
    Options
    You would need to lift one resistor lead at a minimum to get an accurate reading. That said, do either of the resistors look burnt and/or cracked?

Pics always help.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• toolbelt
    toolbelt Posts: 124
    Options
    Looking carefully at the one resistor (which are like white ceramic blocks), it looks very slightly discolored compared to the other one, and that is the one I'm getting no reading on (while measuring it in place).1e4zl4a7m5n0.jpg

Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • toolbelt
    Options
    This is the backside of those two resistors for comparison. 69ug2tb93fsa.jpg
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    You're not getting any sound out of the midwoofer or the tweeter? That 2.5Ohm resistor does definitely looked burnt. I don't see the schematic in the archives. Doesn't look like there are any fuses or polyswitches.

What do you get when you take an ohm reading from the pos to neg binding post, on both the good speaker and the bad one?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • toolbelt
    Options
    As I've pulled the crossover out of the one unit, would I need to reassemble the speaker to run that comparison? And yes, no sound out of either the tweeter or woofer/midrange. That's why I'm thinking it has to be a component that is common to both. Would any resistor or capacitor feed both speakers?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    If it is a typical 2nd order crossover, there wouldn't be any components in common. But who knows, there might be a resistor in common; that bad one.

Check the resistance of the midwoofer and the tweeter. Hopefully neither are blown.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I'm getting no resistance reading on the individual speakers, however don't those terminals have no continuity and therefore no resistance to measure?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I would expect you would get something around 6 ohms. Are you getting infinite = open or are you getting 0 = shorted?

Capacitors have no DC continuity but coils do; both inductors and voice coils in loudspeakers. Try the drivers in the good speaker and see what resistance you get.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I'm getting no reading at all, like I'm testing air, on both. The speaker was fine (tweeter and woofer) until both stopped working 2 days ago, hence why I suspected a connection or bad capacitor/resistor. I have to assume one of those components feeds both speakers (directly/indirectly) and failed suddenly. Other than that one slightly discolored resistor which is producing no reading (while mounted to the board), nothing is jumping out at me. These crossovers are a pain to deal with as the binding post backplate is not easy to remove to get a good look at the back of the circuit board itself. The binding posts are bolted through the whole works and held by nuts wedged between them. I was able to grab the nut and spin out the binding posts, as there's no wrench that could access and turn the nuts. Even pulling out the speakers is a pain as there is about an inch of play in the wires.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    If you are getting infinite resistance on both drivers then they are both blown. Whatever event caused the resistor to overheat and burn out also fried both of the drivers. I'd suspect your amplifier.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I tried hooking up the speaker wire directly to the individual speakers (bypassing the crossover) and got no sound from either. To be sure, I'll try swapping the speakers with my working unit to see if the speakers themselves are the problem. As mentioned, I use them mainly as tv monitors at relatively low volume, and the AV receiver is putting out a clean signal to all channels. I suppose anything is possible at this point. I'm curious if the crossover capacitors boost the signal to fire the magnets, in which case my bypass test was an effort in futility. I know an AC compressor wont fire without a capacitor to get it started. I've never had a speaker wear out so this is all new to me. I may have to take my Cerwin Vega U12's out of mothballs as I know they still work since 1979. lol
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Again, all I can say is I'd be worried about that channel in that amplifier. I'm sure it puts out clean power but that is when it hasn't malfunctioned. Did you have any electrical storms? Was the speaker playing when it failed or did it just not produce sound when you turned the amp on? Crossover components don't fry drivers, amplifiers do.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I pretty well use them daily, and then 2 days ago, the sound seemed off when I first turned the system on, at which time I realized the right speaker wasn't putting out sound. I switched right and left speakers to test the amp/wiring out and the left speaker has been connected to the righthand channel ever since, with no issues. The right speaker has no output regardless of which channel I use. As mentioned, if I swap the individual speakers tomorrow and the RH units put out sound, we can isolate it to a bad crossover. I can either try replacing that bad? resistor, or perhaps I should just get new crossovers for both units. Obviously Polk won't have them, so I may try other brands from Amazon, etc or maybe it's time to just get new bookshelf speakers as they're relatively cheap for the quality I would need.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    toolbelt wrote: »
    I tried hooking up the speaker wire directly to the individual speakers (bypassing the crossover) and got no sound from either. To be sure, I'll try swapping the speakers with my working unit to see if the speakers themselves are the problem. As mentioned, I use them mainly as tv monitors at relatively low volume, and the AV receiver is putting out a clean signal to all channels. I suppose anything is possible at this point. I'm curious if the crossover capacitors boost the signal to fire the magnets, in which case my bypass test was an effort in futility. I know an AC compressor wont fire without a capacitor to get it started. I've never had a speaker wear out so this is all new to me. I may have to take my Cerwin Vega U12's out of mothballs as I know they still work since 1979. lol

The speaker wire directly to the driver should yield sound. Hooking it up into the other crossover is just going to yield no sound but in a more time-consuming way.

Could you send a photo of the bottom of the crossover board? I'm curious what the trace layout is...
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Well again, I think that your amp had a temporary malfunction in that channel that fried both that resistor and the drivers in the speaker. Blaming the crossover would be like shooting the messenger. I don't think that resistor failing caused both the tweeter and the midwoofer to fail. I doubt that resistor is even in the midwoofer circuit but not sure without the schematic or the crossover to look at.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I doubt that resistor is even in the midwoofer circuit but not sure without the schematic or the crossover to look at.

I don't think I've seen a Polk schematic where there is a shared resistor between both drivers however if BOTH drivers suddenly crapped out, I wouldn't be surprised if the other resistor is dead too and just isn't showing it visibly. His amp is most definitely the culprit.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I will be disassembling the crossover board from the crossover assembly tomorrow and will post some pics. The bottom of the board faces the back of the bind post cover with very little space between them. dt3yreqdx3mn.jpg
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I will be disassembling the crossover board from the crossover assembly tomorrow and will post some pics. The bottom of the board faces the back of the bind post cover with very little space between them. dt3yreqdx3mn.jpg

Yeah if you can just send a photo of the trace side tomorrow that'd be awesome. Those wires from the binding posts are quite short IIRC so you might need to desolder them.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    [quote= I wouldn't be surprised if the other resistor is dead too and just isn't showing it visibly. His amp is most definitely the culprit.[/quote]

The resistance checks out on the other resistor. I can also try out a 9v battery to see if the coils move. Would that rule out a bad driver semi sorta?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The resistance checks out on the other resistor. I can also try out a 9v battery to see if the coils move. Would that rule out a bad driver semi sorta?

You can do this as well, yes. Surprised the resistance checks out... either way I'd replace both if you decide to repair these (you should!)
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    A 9V battery on the midwoofer (AA for tweeter) would be a good test for functionality but in this case it is redundant because didn't you say that there is no continuity in the voice coil when you test with an ohmmeter?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • toolbelt
    Options
    Just saw a listing for a pair of 8 month old Polk XT15's for $125 Cdn. That might solve the problem? lol
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Maybe but only until the next time your amp pukes :) I would consider fuses until you can get the amp checked out by a service tech, especially at turn on. Maybe unplug the amp when not in use as well in case you are having electrical supply problems or electrical storm damage.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • toolbelt
    Options
    A 9V battery on the midwoofer (AA for tweeter) would be a good test for functionality but in this case it is redundant because didn't you say that there is no continuity in the voice coil when you test with an ohmmeter?

Yes I tested and had no continuity on both individual speaker terminals. If I had a 9v handy it could help. I'll dig one up tomorrow and test just for the sake of it.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Just saw a listing for a pair of 8 month old Polk XT15's for $125 Cdn. That might solve the problem? lol

The ones in Mississauga?

Also- Hello there, fellow Canadian!
  • toolbelt
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

The ones in Mississauga?

Damn are you going to start a bidding war? lol
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

The ones in Mississauga?

Damn are you going to start a bidding war? lol

Nah, I'm in Nova Scotia. I just browse Kijiji through all of Canada incase a cool Polk item pops up like those RT35s I shipped from Toronto.

They're all yours!
  • toolbelt
    Options
    Was it an empty box containing a brick? lol
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Was it an empty box containing a brick? lol

No! It actually wasn't! First time I tried to ship something from Kijiji I got scammed for $65 (he claimed he had a PSW650, I fell for the scam and I was too excited about the potential to quickly notice the red flags). This time he actually shipped 2 mint condition RT35s. I paid $50 for shipping and $60 for the speakers, they arrived in 2 days! I also bought an MW7011 for one of my RT35s which fell off the wall and that arrived packed very nicely from a private audio dealer (I have 4 RT35s).

So that's 2 for 3 in terms of good Kijiji shipping experiences LOL
  • toolbelt
    Options
    Ive had unbelievable good luck with kijiji even though I'm the doubting thomas type. Mind you, I've always inspected the goods in person. mostly automotive related stuff or tools. Those XT15's seem like a suitable replacement provided they're not blown. I don't care about the mfg warranty in any case.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR